PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail to the AT

Which Way
10-31-2017, 07:31
Trying to decide to start with the approach trail next April, or getting dropped off USFS 42 and hiking 1 mile south to Springer. Any benefit to starting from the visitor center at Amicalola Falls state park? :-?

Turtle-2013
10-31-2017, 07:54
Cheaper to get to Amicalola if you are paying a shuttle ... is the primarily "benefit". In addition you can sign the register in the visitors center, and the 8.8 mi approach trail is an easy walk to the start of the AT (with the exception of the steps, THEY are not easy ; ) )

map man
10-31-2017, 08:05
How much you enjoy the approach trail will largely depend on how fit you are and how heavy your pack is. When I hiked it in 2016 my pack weight when I passed under the arch was only 23 pounds and I was in pretty good shape. I enjoyed that 8.8 mile hike to Springer and the only part I found really taxing was when the trail uses the series of stairs beside Amicalola Falls, which you can skip if you choose by getting dropped off near the lodge rather than the Visitor Center. But I found the Visitor Center to be worth visiting -- friendly staff, and a lot of folks enjoy the rituals of getting their pack weighed and registering their intentions with the trail runner stationed there.

I will say, though, that I passed a lot of newbies in that 8.8 miles who were backpacking for the first time and many were really struggling -- there is a net climb of 2000 feet between the Visitor Center and Springer.

Christoph
10-31-2017, 09:58
I did the approach on my first sttempt and again on this years (successful) thru hike, mainly it was a great place to get dropped off. Both times I enjoyed every aspect of the approach. The falls are such a beautiful place to start, with the exception of the stairs haha. I used the stairs as a "If can't make it up these few lousy stairs, how am I supposed to make it all the way to Maine?" For me, signing in and going through the arch was a better starting point than atop Springer, just seemed more "official" to me I guess. Glad I did it, that whole experience was one of my favorites on the Southern end with spectacular views of the falls. Highly recommended and it's only another 8.8 miles or so.

Which Way
10-31-2017, 10:53
Thanks guys. We (my wife , This Way) and I, were curious about those things that you all mentioned. While the cost is not a big factor Turtle, I was curious if it would be extra. We are thinking about staying at the Hiker Hostel because they will pick us up at the Marta, take us to their place, and then deliver us to either the visitor center or Springer; I thought going to Springer may cost a few extra bucks.
Map Man we are training now, and plan on being in great shape when we start. We are not in bad shape now, but I have a training plan I'm working on to start November 01 (tomorow), so it sounds like it will be worth it.

Christoph, Congrats Man !!!! My wife expressed your thoughts before I posted anything. She said that she thought she would be missing something if she didn't go the approach trail. I thought I would enjoy meeting some of the people there and registering. I just didn't know if I wanted to go an extra 8.8 miles, and spend an extra day doing that. It sounds like I will regret it if we skip the approach, so I believe we will do it.

Thanks again everyone, Which Way and This Way.

bamadog
10-31-2017, 11:02
When are you planning to start? I live in Corner and I plan on starting February 15.Hope to see you on the trail.

Which Way
10-31-2017, 19:18
I saw that last week when i was reading post. I can't start until April 15. I would like to start earlier, but it won't work out. We definitely need to keep in touch.

Slo-go'en
10-31-2017, 20:02
The approach is a nice warm up and what's the chances you'll ever be there again? Might as well do it. Any extra satisfaction you get by knowing that you hiked up to the top instead of driving most of the way is a bonus. You have to finish by climbing a mountain, why not start that way too?

Slo-go'en
10-31-2017, 20:10
I just didn't know if I wanted to go an extra 8.8 miles, and spend an extra day doing that. It sounds like I will regret it if we skip the approach, so I believe we will do it.

I always get a kick out of that justification for not doing the approach. You hope to go 2200 miles and spend up to 6 months doing that, and your don't want to go an extra 8.8 miles and loose a day, on your very first day?

But you saw the folly of that line of thinking. Now the question becomes do the falls or skip them?

jcreamer
10-31-2017, 20:50
I would recommend doing the approach trail. However, I would also recommend dropping your pack off at the top of the falls and climbing the stairs pack free. You’ll thank me later. That’s a lot of stairs...like more than whatever you’re thinking right now...������.
On the flip side, you can definitely do it with your pack. The falls are beautiful and getting the starting picture at the stone arch is rather iconic..

El JP
11-01-2017, 02:48
From what i've seen, the approach trail and the infamous stairs have gotten to be a kind of rite of passage. If anything it'll give a last bit of feel for adjusting your pack and all before you head up North.

DBMarshall
11-01-2017, 08:31
If you wanted to avoid the stairs and still start under the Arch the "Hike Inn" trail I think is a good option. It is a little longer but the Hike inn is a cool place to see and I know my dog appreciated not climbing all those stairs. The trail connects back up to the Approach Trail at approx. 4.25 miles If I remember correctly.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5804e893d2b85773b25e3aa1/t/59de81a58419c2d2894fb2aa/1507754427674/hi_map_08-17-18.pdf

RuthN
11-01-2017, 13:37
If you wanted to avoid the stairs and still start under the Arch the "Hike Inn" trail I think is a good option. It is a little longer but the Hike inn is a cool place to see and I know my dog appreciated not climbing all those stairs. The trail connects back up to the Approach Trail at approx. 4.25 miles If I remember correctly.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5804e893d2b85773b25e3aa1/t/59de81a58419c2d2894fb2aa/1507754427674/hi_map_08-17-18.pdf

I was going to ask if this was feasible. I have a ride to the Springer trailhead (or however close you can get to it by car) but wondered if it was feasible to sign in at the visitors center, weigh my pack, get a photo under the arch and then drive to Springer.

Emerson Bigills
11-01-2017, 14:13
It's your choice. I didn't hike the approach trail and never had any regrets. Sounds like many folks love it.

I can tell you this, if you ask any thru hiker, who has been on the trail for a week or more, if they want to hike 8.8 miles on a blue blaze to see a waterfall, I guarantee you what 100% will answer.

JC13
11-01-2017, 15:48
I was going to ask if this was feasible. I have a ride to the Springer trailhead (or however close you can get to it by car) but wondered if it was feasible to sign in at the visitors center, weigh my pack, get a photo under the arch and then drive to Springer.Yes, just be aware that the ride from Amicalola to the Springer lot is an hour or so drive.

Emerson Bigills
11-01-2017, 15:55
I have stated my position on the approach trail vs. starting at Springer, but I would say this, if it was snowy, icy or experiencing a significant rainfall, I would be hesitant to have my family drive me up the FS roads to get to Springer. My plan was that if weather was crappy, I was going to Amicalola.

Longboysfan
11-02-2017, 16:50
Cheaper to get to Amicalola if you are paying a shuttle ... is the primarily "benefit". In addition you can sign the register in the visitors center, and the 8.8 mi approach trail is an easy walk to the start of the AT (with the exception of the steps, THEY are not easy ; ) )

Agreed. :eek:

bayview
11-05-2017, 19:53
Start with approach trail and side stay at the Hike Inn. Great last hurrah and shower with food. Some folks say it is pricey but I loved it.

Greenlight
11-05-2017, 22:13
Just do it so you can say you did it. Or don't. HYOH. When I thru, I'm gonna.

Trying to decide to start with the approach trail next April, or getting dropped off USFS 42 and hiking 1 mile south to Springer. Any benefit to starting from the visitor center at Amicalola Falls state park? :-?

Uncle Joe
11-05-2017, 22:53
The Approach is 8+ miles of climbing. The next 8 miles after Springer are largely easy with very little climbing at all. If you're looking for time to ease into the climbing, don't do it. If you want the challenge from the outset, do the Approach and enjoy the second 8 miles as a break. Plus if you do the Approach you get the picture at the arch, sign the registry, and generally have a nice place to launch. Either way don't feel guilty. The Approach is a blue-blaze starting point. You're official either way!

KDogg
11-06-2017, 00:47
Splurge and stay in the lodge. Take your time the next day in the visitor's center and do then 8.5 miles to Springer and stay the night in the shelter. Next day officially start your thru hike. The approach is really beautiful and is really not that difficult unless you are trying to do a 20 miler your first day on the trail (you shouldn't be!). I did 10 miles or less per day for the first week of the trail. Was probably underkill but I didn't want to push it as I wasn't in ideal shape. Yes, the stairs are hard but not that hard. Sheesh!

lacholitarubia
11-14-2017, 10:23
The falls are pretty stunning and you get bragging rights after hiking those stairs in a pack :) And, yes, it's easier to get dropped off at the park.

FreeGoldRush
11-14-2017, 10:30
David Miller (AWOL, author of the trail guide we use) did the approach trail on his thru hike.

Yes, I know, HYOH. :)

elray
11-14-2017, 11:34
The falls are pretty stunning and you get bragging rights after hiking those stairs in a pack :) And, yes, it's easier to get dropped off at the park.
Good point, every hiker up the Trail will ask if you did the stairs, why not be a part of that group? And besides, as mentioned earlier you may never pass that way again, try to enjoy the entire experience over and above just making miles.

sadlowskiadam
11-14-2017, 12:28
Just do the approach trail. It's only 8 miles and you can end the day at the first shelter about 11 miles in. Will be a relatively easy hike and you don't need to worry about logistics in getting to Springer. Also, if you are truly concerned about hiking 8 additional miles, then you may want to reconsider embarking on a 2000 + miles thru hike. Just my 2 cents.

peakbagger
11-14-2017, 13:00
Its curious, no one seems to care what trail they take up or down the AT from the top of Katahdin but everyone seems to get stressed over how they get up or down Springer. ;)

IMHO, Helon Taylor trail to the Knifes Edge trail should be the Northern Approach to the northern end or start. I expect many a thru hike will be over before it officially starts :)