PDA

View Full Version : Trail conditions Fontana Dam to Winding Stair Gap

TurboDog
02-06-2006, 17:32
I posted this on another thread and then realized that it was probably the wrong place to post, so here it is again, albeit in the right place.

I need some info. I'm scheduled to hike from Fontana Dam to Winding Stair Gap starting this Thurs and finishing Sunday. I've been keeping track of weather forecasts and things are looking good, but cold. The owner of The Hike-Inn, on hwy 28, guesses that there is 10 or more inches of snow on the mountain, but the folks at Nantahala Outdoor Center say there is some snow but not a bunch and expect it to mostly melt. I've been planning this trip for months and don't want to miss an opportunity unless it is absolutely necessary. The cold is not an issue for me as well as a little snow; however, I don't care about trudging through a foot of snow for miles upon miles. Short sections of snow would not bother me though.
Does anybody know the current conditions on the mountain?
I need to be deciding on whether or not to reschedule.
Thanks
TurboDog

Big Oz
02-06-2006, 22:58
I posted this on another thread and then realized that it was probably the wrong place to post, so here it is again, albeit in the right place.

I need some info. I'm scheduled to hike from Fontana Dam to Winding Stair Gap starting this Thurs and finishing Sunday. I've been keeping track of weather forecasts and things are looking good, but cold. The owner of The Hike-Inn, on hwy 28, guesses that there is 10 or more inches of snow on the mountain, but the folks at Nantahala Outdoor Center say there is some snow but not a bunch and expect it to mostly melt. I've been planning this trip for months and don't want to miss an opportunity unless it is absolutely necessary. The cold is not an issue for me as well as a little snow; however, I don't care about trudging through a foot of snow for miles upon miles. Short sections of snow would not bother me though.
Does anybody know the current conditions on the mountain?
I need to be deciding on whether or not to reschedule.
Thanks
TurboDogappalachiantrailservices.com click on desired state and pick trail crossing and click on bulletins.It gives daily updates on weather at each trail crossings
;)