PDA

View Full Version : Help Scaling Back Pack Weight

Biscuit in GA
11-01-2017, 16:05
Could you help me scale back my pack weight for a 5-day trip? Thanks in advance!

On my pack list I've got:
Tent, footprint, & stakes
Sleeping bag & pad
Hiking poles
Rain cover for pack
Bearbag & rope
Stove, fuel, & kettle
Lighters & firestarter
Food
Electrolyte tabs
Titanium mug, collapsible bowl
Water bladder, water filter, and a couple empty Smartwater bottles
Compass & maps
Phone
Emergency kit
Sunscreen
Medicines
Mini bottle of contact solution and case (I have astigmatism and have never been able to get my glasses right)
Toothbrush & paste
Duct tape
Small pocket knife
Small bottle of hand sanitizer
Rain jacket & pants
Extra moisture-wicking T
Mid-layer
Fleece
Light jacket
Extra hiking socks
Fleece hat
Toilet paper & ziplock bad
Trowel

JC13
11-01-2017, 16:11
Hard to say without seeing the actual weights.

https://lighterpack.com/

https://www.geargrams.com/

https://milestepper.com/

All of these will let you input your gear and are free I do believe.

Why bladder and smart water bottles?
Footprint?
Pack cover?

Just three things that were easy to possibly eliminate.

Biscuit in GA
11-01-2017, 16:16
Thanks! I'll check out those websites! I had both the water bladder and water bottles so that I could keep electrolytes in one of the bottles and keep my bladder with just water.

Rex Clifton
11-01-2017, 16:26
Biscuit, that’s my cats name! Anyway, it does not look like you are carrying a lot of excess gear so, if you’re running heavy, it’s probably the gear itself. I carry about the same as you with the exception that I use chemicals instead of a water filter, saving a few ounces. I also use a compactor bag liner instead of a pack cover, but the weights there are about the same (BTW, a pack cover will not keep your stuff dry in a serous rain). That being said, my fully loaded pack with 4 days of food and 48 ounces of water comes in at around 23 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Biscuit in GA
11-01-2017, 16:31
Thanks, Rex!

egilbe
11-01-2017, 16:40
When and where are you hiking? I see too much clothing, a footprint, a collapsible bowl and firestarters you can easily ditch.

Biscuit in GA
11-01-2017, 16:44
We're going from Winding Stair Gap to Dick's Creek Gap - just 40 miles.

egilbe
11-01-2017, 16:48
When? Cuz that matters, too

egilbe
11-01-2017, 16:56
For clothing, keep it simple. A set of hiking clothes. If they get wet, who cares. Put them on wet. A set of sleeping clothes that never gets wet. One midlayer. One puffy that you never hike in. You wear it when you stop for a break, or at night when it gets cold. One rain jacket or poncho. Eating out of your kettle, you can get rid of the bowl.

Slo-go'en
11-01-2017, 17:11
What little you could live without isn't going to amount to much in savings. Personally, I don't like bladders. Can be more of a pain then their worth. But I agree with Rex, you'll have to start upgrading gear to reduce the weight by any significant amount.

Unless your crazy heavy like over 30 pounds, leave well enough alone and see what happens. You'll know better next time what you don't need - or desperately need to replace.

Biscuit in GA
11-01-2017, 17:19
Thanks, everyone!

DownEaster
11-01-2017, 17:52
Extra moisture-wicking T
Mid-layer
Fleece
Light jacket
A middle layer is typically only called for in winter hiking. "Fleece" could be a sleeping layer, and so could the T-shirt, but that's not clear in your list. You need something to hike in, something that stays dry to sleep in, and some insulation for when you're not hiking. Beyond that you're covered (literally and figuratively) by the rain suit against wet and wind. Take the gear which satisfies those requirements, and leave anything else at home.

Kaptainkriz
11-01-2017, 17:58
It's a trade between comfort and weight - stuff I would drop from the list are:
Rain cover for pack - use a compactor bag inside the pack instead
& kettle - just go with the mug and cook your water in that
Water bladder - overkill that takes weight and space just use the smartwater bottles instead
Emergency kit can get heavy - keep it simple
Duct tape - everyone has it and I've never used it - consider bringing as little as possible stuck to your pole.
Small bottle of hand sanitizer - some may argue but this is not needed - bring a tiny slice of soap and actually wash your hands, it's more effective
Fleece - unless it's winter, you have plenty of other layers - if you can't wear it all at once, don't bring it.

Deuteronomy 23:14 - Always carry a trowel! :)

Could you help me scale back my pack weight for a 5-day trip? Thanks in advance!

On my pack list I've got:
Tent, footprint, & stakes
Sleeping bag & pad
Hiking poles

Bearbag & rope
Stove, fuel,
Lighters & firestarter
Food
Electrolyte tabs
Titanium mug, collapsible bowl
water filter, and a couple empty Smartwater bottles
Compass & maps
Phone
Emergency kit
Sunscreen
Medicines
Mini bottle of contact solution and case (I have astigmatism and have never been able to get my glasses right)
Toothbrush & paste

Small pocket knife

Rain jacket & pants
Extra moisture-wicking T
Mid-layer

Light jacket
Extra hiking socks
Fleece hat
Toilet paper & ziplock bad
Trowel

Maineiac64
11-01-2017, 19:05
What are the models and weights of your big 4, tent, bag, pad, pack?

AllDownhillFromHere
11-02-2017, 00:54
Using sites like lighterpack only reinforces the stereotype that sites like lighterpack are useful.

cmoulder
11-02-2017, 09:30
Using sites like lighterpack only reinforces the stereotype that sites like lighterpack are useful.

Maybe because they are? :-?

See thread title.

garlic08
11-02-2017, 09:59
Ditto what's been said and ditch the footprint for sure.

For a healthy person with a good diet, there's probably no need for electrolyte (or any other) supplements, and that will simplify your water carrying needs.

A rule of thumb for clothing--you should be able to wear everything you carry at the same time as part of a coordinated layering system.

With experience, you'll learn what works and what's extra weight. Most important, have a fun and safe trip.

cmoulder
11-02-2017, 11:38
It's a trade between comfort and weight - stuff I would drop from the list are:
Rain cover for pack - use a compactor bag inside the pack instead
& kettle - just go with the mug and cook your water in that
Water bladder - overkill that takes weight and space just use the smartwater bottles instead
Emergency kit can get heavy - keep it simple
Duct tape - everyone has it and I've never used it - consider bringing as little as possible stuck to your pole.
Small bottle of hand sanitizer - some may argue but this is not needed - bring a tiny slice of soap and actually wash your hands, it's more effective
Fleece - unless it's winter, you have plenty of other layers - if you can't wear it all at once, don't bring it.

Deuteronomy 23:14 - Always carry a trowel! :)

Not all that long ago I saw a pack list from somebody who had a 50 ft roll of duct tape.

DownEaster
11-02-2017, 11:53
A rule of thumb for clothing--you should be able to wear everything you carry at the same time as part of a coordinated layering system.
I don't think that's right. There's no way I could wear both pairs of hiking socks and my thick sleeping socks all together.

garlic08
11-02-2017, 16:09
I don't think that's right. There's no way I could wear both pairs of hiking socks and my thick sleeping socks all together.
As with all rules of thumb, they don't work in every case. It worked for me to reduce pack weight and maybe it will work for others. At least it's food for thought--as long as it's not too much food and weighs you down.

Funny how "sleeping clothing" get mentioned so often. That's one of the things I don't carry.

Starchild
11-02-2017, 16:36
Tent, footprint, & stakes >>> Lose footprint, if looking to reduce weight for a longer backpack, ditching the footprint is a way to go. It doesn't mean every time, but just one time, the time when you are out for 5 days and need that savings. Also a chance to practice good tent set up where one does not need a footprint. That can hopfully save you weight going forward as well but doesn't have to.
Sleeping bag & pad > get a lighter one of each IDK you don't really say much hear, I will ignore other such stuff)
Rain cover for pack > Some people don't and just use a compactor bag. Makes sense, never had to try it out in the rain.

Lighters & firestarter >Lighter is a firestarter. I typically carry 2 mini bic's with a additional auto ignition stove.

Electrolyte tabs> Um salt, yes that's what they are. The tabs you are carrying are flavored water tabs, some salt, maybe caffeine, but electrolytes is fine with basic table salt, better with potassium salt (lite salt) -though this was once know to suppress sexual urges, so use it accordingly. It doesn't weight much and does give a psychological boost.

Titanium mug, collapsible bowl> Both unneeded but but both a psychological boost. I carried a Ti Mug the entire AT, not because I needed it but because I wanted a decent cup for my morning coffee. Never needed a dedicated carry bowl, and don't see it in my life, but again it may boost you.
Water bladder, water filter, and a couple empty Smartwater bottles> Water is the greatest place to reduce weight with LNT guideline #1 plan ahead and prepare, and where so many people carry far too much. Water is effen heavy, find a method that works with your hike and permits you to 'naturally' carry less water weight. For me on my AT thru was the Steripen Ultra at 2.5 oz and makes a 1/2 a L at a time - that last point makes me look at things at 1/2 L intervals till next water. Also drinking at the source makes a difference, don't let those who preach Aquamira tell you differently.

Sunscreen> Not needed for 99% of the people on the AT, but needed for 99% of the people on El Camino. Do you need it?
Medicines ... Mini bottle of contact solution and case (I have astigmatism and have never been able to get my glasses right) > you know what you need. I carry stuff others don't have to HYOH

Duct tape> Yes it is the last resort for blisters and chafing, even in the neither regions (don't ask, don't tell just use in a emergency, yes it hurts to take it off)
Small pocket knife> for the AT yes knife, yes small
Small bottle of hand sanitizer> Optional, My sanitation did not include this, and I hate this, the feeling the scent (though it is a good fire starter). Also did I do much washing on my AT thru, though avoided the Nora virus, lucky me. I was interviewed by the US center for disease control (or something like that) and they asked me about my hygiene after getting thru the noravirus zone. They were shocked that I didn't get it.
Rain jacket & pants > depends on the season, during the summer I used the same emergency rain poncho (1 oz) for some weeks (yes very wet thru hike) and a rain skirt. In winter you need more
Extra moisture-wicking T...Mid-layer..Fleece...Light jacket.> Big savings here, 2 T's (one for sleepy time time), one outer fleece (and down puffy if needed) that's all folks
Extra hiking socks > Extra socks, suitable for sleepy time time, extra hiking socks not needed.

Trowel> LNT[/QUOTE]

Starchild
11-02-2017, 16:39

With experience, you'll learn what works and what's extra weight. Most important, have a fun and safe trip.
You missed you need sleepy time time clothes, incase everything you have is soaked and you need to change into something to get into the bag (at the very least to say off the sex offenders list).

rocketsocks
11-02-2017, 18:16
Not much to get rid of there, maybe cut down tooth brush handle, bag the duct tape, bring a blade only leave the pocket knife on the dresser, toilet paper outta here use leaves, rock or stick. Now would I do all I just suggested, Nope, it’s not that much of a savings/burden for my back foot endure...so.

rocketsocks
11-02-2017, 18:17
For my back to endure

DownEaster
11-02-2017, 19:25
Funny how "sleeping clothing" get mentioned so often. That's one of the things I don't carry.
The EN (European Norm) ratings for sleeping bags assume sleeping in long underwear and a beanie hat. Sleeping clothes you don't normally use for hiking help keep your sleeping bag clean. And finally, in extremely cold weather you can wear those sleeping clothes as your base layer for hiking, whereas a warmer sleeping bag for nude sleeping wouldn't help you in that case (except to just hunker in your tent during the cold).

Ruck
11-02-2017, 21:35
Consider ditching:
footprint
Rain cover for pack (replace with trash compactor bag)
Lighters or firestarter (pick one flint or two mini-bics)
Titanium mug, kettle, collapsible bowl (pick one or at most two)
Mid-layer or Fleece for active layer
Light jacket (you have a rain jacket)