PDA

View Full Version : Milestone!

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2006, 18:26
I just noticed, entirely by accident, that I just posted my 2,500th post to Whiteblaze.

Geez, that's a lot. And maybe too much!

But it has been over three years since I found this site, and of course there are times when I'm not here at all for weeks and weeks at a time.

For which many of you are no doubt grateful!

I just wanted to take a quick moment and thank Rock, Troll, and all the other administrators who've put so much time and energy into providing this very unique resource.

I think Whiteblaze is the single best spot on the Internet for those planning or preparing a long-distance hike on the A.T, and I just wanted to say thanx to the folks who take care of the site, and thanx to the thousands of folks who've contributed over the years. The site has come a very long way. I think Whiteblaze has been a great aid to those planning their first long-hike, and the site seems to get better and better as time goes on.

Speaking just for myself, it has been great fun and a great privilege to share information with so many great folks. What I enjoy the most, is meeting someone on the Trail either during or after their hike who tells me that something I contributed here at one time or another helped them out in some way. It's a great feeling to know that even in a very small way, you've managed to help someone out with something useful.

A final note: This is a good opportunity to send Good Luck and Best Wishes to you guys who'll be starting out soon on your trips. If you've any last-minute questions or problems, now's the time to send them along, especially you guys who check the site regularly for information but don't feel like posting regularly or at all.

And by all means, I hope the 2006 guys check in periodically and let us know how things are working out. When you're all done, I certainly hope lots of you guys come back and share what you've learned, and pass it along to the folks who'll be following in your footsteps.

Anyway, it's great to be a part of this, and I'm very glad WB is still around. In the years to come, I look forward to contributing, to learning from other folks, and to helping more folks plan a trip they'll remember forever.

I also look forward to contributing LESS in the months to come, and hiking more. For now, while the 2,500 figure is pretty daunting, the good news is that something like 98.5% of the posts published here over the years were sent in by somebody else!!

Footslogger
02-06-2006, 18:40
Nice post Jack ...and you prompted me to check my own numbers. Geesh, I'm over 2,600. Guess I'd better start hiking more and posting less too.

'Slogger

DavidNH
02-06-2006, 18:56
Jack..may be you could change your email address to [email protected]!!!

For all your contributions.. I think you should get a free subscription (if posting ever requires a paid subscription!!

David

gargamel
02-06-2006, 18:59
I'm one of those who soon will be out to hike the trail. Let me thank you for spending so much time to share your knowledge with others. Your experienced thoughts have contributed a good part in making me feel much more prepared than before I found whiteblaze. I truly admire your sense of humor and your ability to explain your point of view without acting as if your opinion was the only relevant After my hike I would be glad to share whatever I'll have learned (good or bad) with future hikers.

Also a huge THANK YOU to the good folks who run and maintain this site. You are doing such a great job and put in so much of your time to make this the best source of information one can imagine.

dixicritter
02-06-2006, 20:28
Congrats Jack! Your posts are always great to read. Hope you get some hiking in soon, do some miles for SGT Rock while you're at it ok? :)

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2006, 20:32
musta been all dem posts about WD and polyticks dat run up yore total :rolleyes:

Cheesewhiz
02-06-2006, 20:40
I second jacks post on the big thanks to the administrators

gr8fulyankee
02-06-2006, 20:46
So Jack what are your hiking plans this year? Going to spent another night at Horse Gap?

TJ aka Teej
02-06-2006, 22:16
Jack what are your hiking plans this year?

Hey Jack, I have room in the truck if you want a ride to Katahdin June 1st!
:D

Moxie00
02-06-2006, 22:16
Congratulations old friend. There are few people I would rather camp with or even just spend a night in town enjoying than Baltimore Jack, Wherever you go this season I hope our trails cross at least once. And, oh yes, it's okey to bring Blister Sister. You can even bring that crazy Irishman from Philly but he has to leave his skirt in his pack if we all go out drinking in a biker bar.

Lonesome Polecat
02-06-2006, 23:14
I've only been using WB since 9/05 in prep for my long journey beginning Mid-Mar. I put more stock in your judgement and what you say than any other on this site--and especially appreciate the way you say it. Thanks for being there Jack!

dixicritter
02-06-2006, 23:28
Jack, Just talked to SGT Rock and he says "Drink some whiskey for me too man."

SavageLlama
02-06-2006, 23:42
Ah, there were some good posts in those 2500. I was thinking of making a quick list of favorites but that would likely dredge up some threads that are probably better forgotten!

Tha Wookie
02-06-2006, 23:52
Milestone?:rolleyes:

You must be sober again Jack.

A-Train
02-07-2006, 00:34
Hey Jack, I have room in the truck if you want a ride to Katahdin June 1st!
:D

haha, when pigs fly

Tha Wookie
02-07-2006, 09:10
Jack,

When are you going to write a book? That's the milestone I want to see!!

If you ever need any organizational help or anything else to get it going, let me know!

Cookerhiker
02-07-2006, 09:39
Congrats and keep posting. But also keep hiking!

Gray Blazer
02-07-2006, 10:01
Awesome! I have as many posts as I have miles on the AT which is not many except when you add up that I usually went round trip,but, it's not about me. Congrats, Jack!

Lone Wolf
02-07-2006, 10:06
31 more posts and I'll hit 4000. Do I get a prize?

Gray Blazer
02-07-2006, 10:29

You get the best prize of all, the Booby Prize:jump :jump :jump

Grampie
02-07-2006, 13:04
Jack,
Always enjoy reading your posts. Keep it up. You are doing your part to keep Whiteblaze what it is.
Happy trails to you in 06.

Sloghound
02-07-2006, 20:14
C'mon, Jack. Let's see at least a self-published chapbook!

www.lulu.com

It's a super short money self-publishing site.

ed bell
02-08-2006, 20:12

Since Sgt. Rock is in Iraq, you might pass his post total. Maybe he can reward you by making you moderator for a day.:cool:

Lone Wolf
02-08-2006, 20:15
This makes 4014. Hmmm.:-?

MedicineMan
02-09-2006, 06:22
:) well looks like i will never :(

Kerosene
02-09-2006, 17:16
L. Wolf only has 4,000+ posts because he limits his responses to 25 characters or less. That, and his PDA alerts him everytime someone posts to a new thread! :jump

Lone Wolf
02-09-2006, 17:22
What's a PDA?

Frosty
02-09-2006, 17:34
What's a PDA?It's a cushion you put under your sleeping BGA.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2006, 17:36
I'm a member of the BGA (Bogey Golfers Association)