PDA

View Full Version : Taboo- Osprey Atmos 65L/Aura 50L

Which Way
11-03-2017, 10:18
My wife and I are thru hiking the AT in 2018. You guys have been great about helping me in our planning phase. I have read a dozen books on hiking the AT, including UL hiking tips, and I have watched hundreds of hours of videos on thru-hiking. So I'm not ignorant on hiking, just inexperienced. I'm almost scared to ask this question with all the UL info out: Is it a mistake to attempt to carry an Osprey Atmos 65L, and my wife carry an Osprey 50L????? I have only been able to try on a few packs. My first pack to try was The Atmos, with 20# in it. The REI that I was in had a second floor with stair access. I walked around in it for about 30 minutes going up and down the stairs and it felt like I didn't have anything on my back! I have been able to try a few other UL packs, but they were uncomfortable and it seemed like they were much heavier, even though they weighed up to 3 pounds less. Could it be that with when I tried on the UL packs I just didn't have them adjusted as well as the Atmos? I want to be UL, but the Atmos feels so good. Look forward to the input from those more educated and experienced than myself.

Drkshdw
11-03-2017, 10:25
As far as I am concerned the most important thing is what does it take to get you on the trail and stay on the trail. The atmos may be a bit on the heavy side but it is a pack used by a lot of people and if you find it that much more comfortable then the lighter packs why wouldn't you use it? Hiking for days on end with a pack that is not comfortable will do bad things to your moral no matter how light it is.

Maineiac64
11-03-2017, 10:26
I had Atmos AG 65 and it was comfortable but also suffered from unconquerable squeeking, hip pocket zippers that sucked, and it was heavy. I went to zpacks and like it so much better, maybe not quite as comfortable but still a very easy carry and very light. Mine carries heavier loads, like when I am going in to go fishing, very well too.

Sarcasm the elf
11-03-2017, 10:27
The Atmos 65 is one of the best mainstream packs on market and one of the most popular packs on the trail, including among thru hikers.

Don't worry too much about what the ULers are doing while you're first getting started, it is a gear philosophy that has only become popular in the last 10-15 years and while it has a lot of good ideas which will benefit you, remember that they are just suggestions and not requirements. UL is just one of many gear philosophies and you'll find that it has a much larger presence on the internet than it does among actual hikers on the trail.

mPalozzola01
11-03-2017, 11:15
My wife and I are thru hiking the AT in 2018. You guys have been great about helping me in our planning phase. I have read a dozen books on hiking the AT, including UL hiking tips, and I have watched hundreds of hours of videos on thru-hiking. So I'm not ignorant on hiking, just inexperienced. I'm almost scared to ask this question with all the UL info out: Is it a mistake to attempt to carry an Osprey Atmos 65L, and my wife carry an Osprey 50L????? I have only been able to try on a few packs. My first pack to try was The Atmos, with 20# in it. The REI that I was in had a second floor with stair access. I walked around in it for about 30 minutes going up and down the stairs and it felt like I didn't have anything on my back! I have been able to try a few other UL packs, but they were uncomfortable and it seemed like they were much heavier, even though they weighed up to 3 pounds less. Could it be that with when I tried on the UL packs I just didn't have them adjusted as well as the Atmos? I want to be UL, but the Atmos feels so good. Look forward to the input from those more educated and experienced than myself.With a large pack like a 65L comfort is key. I actually had the atmos 50L and sold it to buy a 65L. For a smaller pack I use a more UL option, granted I love Osprey, so it's not a black or JUL, I have the exos 50 if I'm not going to pack it tight. Now I could be wrong about all this for long distance as I have yet to do my Thru hike having to postpone mine from 2017 till 2019. But this is what I have come to learn as of thus far.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

soumodeler
11-03-2017, 11:51
I would rather carry a 5 pound pack that fit well and carried weight like a charm than a 1 pound UL pack that didn't fit and had horrible weight transfer. Osprey makes a good pack, so if you are comfortable with it, go for it.

That being said, my ZPacks ArcHaul achieves both for me at 1.5 pounds.

Maineiac64
11-03-2017, 12:04
The Atmos 65 is one of the best mainstream packs on market and one of the most popular packs on the trail, including among thru hikers.

Don't worry too much about what the ULers are doing while you're first getting started, it is a gear philosophy that has only become popular in the last 10-15 years and while it has a lot of good ideas which will benefit you, remember that they are just suggestions and not requirements. UL is just one of many gear philosophies and you'll find that it has a much larger presence on the internet than it does among actual hikers on the trail.
Hiking in Georgia this spring there were a good number of thru hikers starting out with Osprey, but it seemed like there were more zpacks arc blast and arc haul users. It might be that I was more apt to notice them, sort of like all of a sudden noticing how many of a certain model car are on the road once you get one yourself.

It would be interesting for Ron Brown and Donald Ballard or other shuttle drivers to do a survey and keep track of pack, tent, and hammock choices of people starting out on a thru.

soumodeler
11-03-2017, 12:29
The Trek did an AT pack survey this year and last year, and I believe both years Osprey was the most represented.

Starchild
11-03-2017, 12:48
Comfort is so very important and is why most backpackers and thru hikers do not use frameless packs. When getting ready for my thru I tried on some packs including a REI Flash pack and when that one went on I knew it was my thru-pack. I have since updates to the Exos which is awesome and sheds some weight as well over my well worn REI Flash. Both were/are considered very light 'full' internal frame packs (I put 'full' in there because there are flimsy internal frame ultralight stuff but that frame does not do much, these are full bombproof frames that work).

As for the size, I never understood the saying that if you buy a larger pack you will find things to fill it up with. It jsut does not happen, what does happen is things fit in easier, there is room so things don't have to be so hyper compressed. Also a lot easier when pulling longer sections w/o resupply and carrying extra food.

So if it fits and feels good go for it.

Sarcasm the elf
11-03-2017, 12:57
Hiking in Georgia this spring there were a good number of thru hikers starting out with Osprey, but it seemed like there were more zpacks arc blast and arc haul users. It might be that I was more apt to notice them, sort of like all of a sudden noticing how many of a certain model car are on the road once you get one yourself.

It would be interesting for Ron Brown and Donald Ballard or other shuttle drivers to do a survey and keep track of pack, tent, and hammock choices of people starting out on a thru.
Since 2009, most years I spend a full week and a couple of weekends hiking in CT/MA/VT around the 1500-1750 mile markers nobo. Among the folks who have made it that far, Osprey and the Atmo in particular (with the Exos catching up) has been the consistantly most popular pack.

This isn't too surprising given that it is likely that the majority of A.T. thru hikers are fairly new to backpacking and the country's largest outfitter, REI, heavily sells Osprey packs. I actually think it would be fair to argue that asking "what gear is most popular with thru hikers this year?" is akin to asking what gear REI was pushing pushing last fall and spring (and that's certainly not a bad thing.)

The Trek did an AT pack survey this year and last year, and I believe both years Osprey was the most represented.
Here's the link to the article:
https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/the-top-backpacks-on-the-appalachian-trail-2016-at-thru-hiker-survey/

And a couple of the more interesting graphs:

https://photos.thetrek.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/top-model-backpacks-2016-thru-hikers.png
https://photos.thetrek.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/thru-hiker-backpack-capacity-graph.png

AllDownhillFromHere
11-03-2017, 13:00
1 or even 2 lbs wont make a difference if the pack doesn't fit you.

AlamoHiker
11-03-2017, 15:11
I'm gonna be using an Osprey AG 65 for my 2018 thru-hike

Venchka
11-03-2017, 16:36
I tried on the Atmos 65 AG in Houston. 40+ pounds. Didn't notice the weight at all.
What I did notice was the semi-rigid pre curved hip belt. What the???? I can imagine it being very cumbersome to load in a car or on a plane.
What really turned me off were the unusable hip belt pockets. What were they thinking? ULA wins the hip belt pocket race in my limited experience.
Perhaps you and your wife could us the Osprey Exos packs and save a pound or so each?
Wayne

Greenlight
11-03-2017, 19:52
If you're young and tough and full of snuff, the Atmos is a great bag. It's comfortable, though heavy. At 55, WW, you're in my age range. If you like the Osprey "ethos" look closer at the Exos. It's a 58 (at least the older model, and there's a Medium for sale right now on WB) and about three pounds lighter than the Atmos.

If you're gonna be carrying some of the shared gear, leaving your wife to tote her food and water and the remainder of the gear, look at an UL pack for her. There's no reason she should have that heavy a pack when you're splitting the load.

Just my thoughts, but you've got a whole winter to go through, and a lot of people on WB will be unloading gear between now and the 2018 season, you're sure to snag some deals.

My wife and I are thru hiking the AT in 2018. You guys have been great about helping me in our planning phase. I have read a dozen books on hiking the AT, including UL hiking tips, and I have watched hundreds of hours of videos on thru-hiking. So I'm not ignorant on hiking, just inexperienced. I'm almost scared to ask this question with all the UL info out: Is it a mistake to attempt to carry an Osprey Atmos 65L, and my wife carry an Osprey 50L????? I have only been able to try on a few packs. My first pack to try was The Atmos, with 20# in it. The REI that I was in had a second floor with stair access. I walked around in it for about 30 minutes going up and down the stairs and it felt like I didn't have anything on my back! I have been able to try a few other UL packs, but they were uncomfortable and it seemed like they were much heavier, even though they weighed up to 3 pounds less. Could it be that with when I tried on the UL packs I just didn't have them adjusted as well as the Atmos? I want to be UL, but the Atmos feels so good. Look forward to the input from those more educated and experienced than myself.

dwcoyote
11-03-2017, 20:11
Don't get an UL pack if you don't have UL gear. From my experience most UL get uncomfortable when you near the upper limit of the recommended top weight. Packs with more weight and suspension to them like the Osprey seem to feel the same even when pushing or just over the recommended max weight. That is my experience.

rocketsocks
11-03-2017, 20:17
The Atmos is a darn comfortable pack, period!

RangerZ
11-03-2017, 21:17
After a Viet Nam era tubular frame ruck and a large ALICE pack, my Atmos 65 doesn't weigh anything. I do think that it is a comfortable pack.

Which Way
11-04-2017, 09:09
Thanks to everyone for your input!!! You have confirmed what I was I thinking on some things, and brought some things to my attention that I didn't know. I'm still undecided. I was able to try on the Exos, and it did not fit me as well as the Atmos. I will go with the either the Atmos, or the Zpacks, I am trying to communicate with Zpacks, but you must email them, and they only respond M-F. I emailed them Friday, but they were gone for the day. This got me to thinking about customer service on packs as well; I hear that Osprey has excellent customer service. So if return shipping isn't too much, I may order a Zpacks for each of us to try before pulling the trigger on a pack. I am a little anxious to get one and hit the trail for a few test runs though.

saltysack
11-04-2017, 10:02
As others have said you should get all your gear before you decide on a pack....bigger the pack more needless crap your likely to fill it with...starting as late as you are I can’t see needing a 60 liter pack....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Zone
11-04-2017, 10:19
Get a digital kitchen scale and weigh all your gear, plan it out on a spreadsheet. As they say, buy your pack last. UL packs pair best with UL gear (and UL budgets). Consider too your planned pace. The further you hope to get on a daily basis, the more useful going UL will be to you. And don't forget, it's a continuum. It's not UL or heavy. By looking at the weights and volumes of all your gear, you can make informed choices to go lighter when practicable. In my experience, lighter is more comfortable as long as you have good weight transfer. A UL pack that hangs on my shoulders is going to make me sore more quickly, and more sore, than a heavier pack that transfers the weight to my hips and legs. So you have to balance those objectives of lower total weight with where on your body the weight hangs. And there are other considerations as well ... bag design and features, for instance.

Ethesis
11-04-2017, 13:56
As far as I am concerned the most important thing is what does it take to get you on the trail and stay on the trail. The atmos may be a bit on the heavy side but it is a pack used by a lot of people and if you find it that much more comfortable then the lighter packs why wouldn't you use it? Hiking for days on end with a pack that is not comfortable will do bad things to your moral no matter how light it is.

I remember reading a female through hiker who traded in her exos for the heavier pack.

The exos just did not work for her. At all.

It did not work for my wife either. Exos works great for me though.

What works can be very personal.

That said, REI will also let you try out the granite gear packs at around two pounds (short torso)
https://www.rei.com/product/112646/granite-gear-crown2-60-pack-womens
Try those too. My wife loves hers (but kept and uses the Osprey rain cover with it.

evyck da fleet
11-04-2017, 18:52
As a newbie I hit the AT with an Osprey 65L. It let me carry everything I needed and a five day haul of food. Five years later with a small idea of what I’m doing I replaced it with a ULA pack.

I saw several ul packs on my thru. Most of the hikers were younger, carrying the bare minimum (and sometimes complaining about being cold etc) and looking to hit town every couple of days.

My recommendation would be to get the pack that you’re most comfortable with that fits your needs.

Malto
11-05-2017, 11:41
Don't get an UL pack if you don't have UL gear. From my experience most UL get uncomfortable when you near the upper limit of the recommended top weight. Packs with more weight and suspension to them like the Osprey seem to feel the same even when pushing or just over the recommended max weight. That is my experience.
This is spot on. The UL pack should come last when all other gear is lightweight and lower volume. If that type of gear is not for you then likely you would be better off with a pack that is more mainstream and a better match for your gear. There most certainly is not one right answer or everyone would be carrying the same gear.

DownEaster
11-05-2017, 14:20
The UL pack should come last when all other gear is lightweight and lower volume.
(Emphasis added.)
Lower volume isn't required for all other gear. I've had some bad experience with wet down in Maine (horizontal rain!), and my new sleeping bag for the AT is synthetic. It's 31 ounces, still moderately light, but synthetic insulation takes up more space. My pack is also light yet holds 65 liters, which is plenty for my gear including bulky synthetic bag, puffy jacket, and mid-layer vest.

Your main point is still spot on: get the pack after you decide on the gear you'll carry in it.

750ml
12-31-2017, 22:28
I carried an Atmos 65 on a lot of section hikes. Just set it aside for a ULA Circuit. Here's Shug on the ULA lineup. It might be helpful to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L2Fbe1EviA

SWODaddy
12-31-2017, 22:38

This.

The only negative thing I've seen/heard from other hikers on the AT about the Atmos/Aura AG is the velcro waist adjustment which can slip after use when it gets wet. Otherwise, it's a very comfortable, well-made pack with a lifetime warranty.

globetruck
12-31-2017, 23:24
Osprey makes incredible packs, backed with a great warranty. Get a pack that is comfortable for you when carrying YOUR gear. I’ve worn the Atmos 65 but returned it, not because it was a bad pack, but because it was overkill for my particular hiking style and needs. I didn’t have any problems with the waist belt velcro, but my brother had the same pack and his waist Velcro never seemed to stay put (disclaimer: he’s 6’4” and pencil thin, so he needed a large torso pack, which for the Atmos also meant having a larger hip belt than he needed). My only gripes about the pack: (1) it felt off balance, keeping the weight further aft of my spine than I was accustomed to; (2) too many pockets that I didn’t need/want/or use (sleeping bag compartment, the 2 side zippers, and the brain). Having said that, it’s incredibly well maid and comfortable. My base weight is 12-15 lbs and I found that the Zpacks Arc Haul fit my needs and hiking style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slow Trek
01-01-2018, 01:59
I am in your age range,and carried the Atmos from Springer to Harper's Ferry last year,and for 10 days at Philmont Scout Ranch this year,and I have no complaints. The hip belt velcro did slip,but had it sewn by Mt Rogers Outfitters and solved that problem forever. Not the lightest pack,but it is the most comfortable one that I have used.

Time Zone
01-01-2018, 02:04
one more vote for "buy your pack last"

bstiffler
01-01-2018, 03:14
I carried an Atmos 65 on a lot of section hikes. Just set it aside for a ULA Circuit. Here's Shug on the ULA lineup. It might be helpful to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L2Fbe1EviA

This.

The only negative thing I've seen/heard from other hikers on the AT about the Atmos/Aura AG is the velcro waist adjustment which can slip after use when it gets wet. Otherwise, it's a very comfortable, well-made pack with a lifetime warranty.

They’ll fix anything. was st a hiking clinic where one thru had caught her lid on fire and osprey sent her a new one

Highland Goat
01-01-2018, 08:35
I want to be UL, but the Atmos feels so good.

If you want to carry less weight, it might be wise to choose a lower volume pack rather than a lighter pack. The risk of a high volume pack is that you will fill it with more stuff, sometimes unconsciously.
I have carried many packs over the years, but I have usually chosen an Osprey Atoms 50 Liter for long distance treks. Comfort was a factor, but ultimately it came down to wear resistance. While advances in materials and manufacturing techniques have increased the durability of ultralight gear, there is still some tradeoff between weight and longevity.

hipbone
01-01-2018, 11:52
another vote for buy your pack last. One thing to keep in mind about UL packs is that if you're worried about load transfer to the hips from an ultralight pack then probably go with a heavier more robust pack (there should be very little weight in an UL pack to have to transfer). if you do go ultralight keep in mind that you should never give up comfort or safety to cut weight, if you are doing this, you're doing ultralight wrong :)

If you're interested, I have a geargrams page with a 13 lb baseweight made of gear you can buy directly off the shelf at any big box store.

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=43697

ldsailor
01-01-2018, 13:36
I did a NOBO LASH in 2016 (never intended to do a thru). It was the first time I ever did a long distance hike (532 miles). The outfitter told me I needed an Osprey 65L Atmos, so that's what I got. I stuffed that sucker full and went hiking. Clearly my inexperience was obvious. Aside from the fact that the pack weighed over 4 pounds, I was carrying too much. I got rid of the Osprey before my next hike.

In 2017 I continued my LASH (750 miles), but this time I had a Zpack Arc Haul. It weighs 21 oz (Zpack's web site now says 24 oz). The pack is rated for 62 liters. I pared down what I took with me and got the weight below 30 pounds. My Osprey was between 35 and 43 pounds depending on food, water and cold weather clothing. The Zpack, at least for me, was much more comfortable. The belt is easier to adjust, which helped a lot. I tend to lose a lot of weight.

You will see a lot of Zpack backpacks on the trail. This year, I saw way more than the Osprey Atmos. It was interesting to note that the further north I went on the trail the fewer Osprey Atmos 65's I saw. As a long distance hiker, whether you are doing a thru or LASH, that ought to tell you something.

red5
02-04-2018, 16:40
Thanks to everyone for your input!!! You have confirmed what I was I thinking on some things, and brought some things to my attention that I didn't know. I'm still undecided. I was able to try on the Exos, and it did not fit me as well as the Atmos. I will go with the either the Atmos, or the Zpacks, I am trying to communicate with Zpacks, but you must email them, and they only respond M-F. I emailed them Friday, but they were gone for the day. This got me to thinking about customer service on packs as well; I hear that Osprey has excellent customer service. So if return shipping isn't too much, I may order a Zpacks for each of us to try before pulling the trigger on a pack. I am a little anxious to get one and hit the trail for a few test runs though.

Did you ever try the Zpacks? I'm going through a similar experience right now and was interested in the Arc Haul too.