PDA

View Full Version : 2 hikers one phone

Mulungu
11-03-2017, 12:59
Here is the problem
one iPhone but both my wife and I would like to listen to the same audiobook while we walk.
1 with no speaker or headphone the sound is two soft for both of us to hear
2 we have tried extension cord and headphones but that is cumbersome
3 blue tooth earbuds tend to only play in one ear so can’t be split
4 you can only conect one Bluetooth device at a time

any ideas to help us both listen to the same audiobook

colorado_rob
11-03-2017, 13:08
Why not buy a cheap used old phone, an Android would work fine, and load Audible (or whatever app you have) on that phone and just listen separately? You can coordinate when you listen so one doesn't get too far ahead.

You do NOT need any service on this cheap 2nd phone, just use Wifi to load you app and content on it.

Here's an example, $40 refurbished phone, should work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SGH-T599-Smartphone-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B016YL5A8K/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1509728685&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A6787346011%2Cp_36%3A14674872011

If you insist on an apple, here's one for $50:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFGKC92/ref=twister_B00E257G2E?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Not sure how you listen to audio books, we use "audible". You can load audible content on multiple devices, no sweat, no extra charge, we do it all the time.

FlyPaper
11-03-2017, 13:28
Or use in IPod Shuffle. Weights almost nothing and clips on your clothes.

Once I left one clipped to my clothes and threw it in the laundry. After going through washer and dryer, it came out still working fine (I did have to power it off and back on though).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Shuffle

I see that Apple recently discontinued these. They are getting a little expensive on Ebay as a result.

Why not buy a cheap used old phone, an Android would work fine, and load Audible (or whatever app you have) on that phone and just listen separately? You can coordinate when you listen so one doesn't get too far ahead.

You do NOT need any service on this cheap 2nd phone, just use Wifi to load you app and content on it.

Here's an example, $40 refurbished phone, should work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SGH-T599-Smartphone-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B016YL5A8K/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1509728685&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A6787346011%2Cp_36%3A14674872011

If you insist on an apple, here's one for $50:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFGKC92/ref=twister_B00E257G2E?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Not sure how you listen to audio books, we use "audible". You can load audible content on multiple devices, no sweat, no extra charge, we do it all the time.

Bobby
11-03-2017, 13:37
Here is the problem
one iPhone but both my wife and I would like to listen to the same audiobook while we walk.
1 with no speaker or headphone the sound is two soft for both of us to hear
2 we have tried extension cord and headphones but that is cumbersome
3 blue tooth earbuds tend to only play in one ear so can’t be split
4 you can only conect one Bluetooth device at a time

any ideas to help us both listen to the same audiobook

during my thru hike we often listened to music using speakers strapped to the pack (we took turns). We would shut them off when passing others or getting near crowded spots (really near any other person) - they were not loud enough to hear unless you were within a certain close range. If we hiked with others, we always got their permission first before firing it up. Basic all around common courtesy stuff. Didn't use it all the time, but it was something we had and enjoyed.

Slo-go'en
11-03-2017, 13:41
Yea, get another phone. A Tracfone will cost you as little as $30. Sometime as little as $20. You don't even have to activate it to use WiFi, but for another $20 you get 3 months of basic service which could come in handy. Say you get separated, you can call each other to find out where you each are.

colorado_rob
11-03-2017, 13:51
during my thru hike we often listened to music using speakers strapped to the pack (we took turns). We would shut them off when passing others or getting near crowded spots (really near any other person) - they were not loud enough to hear unless you were within a certain close range. If we hiked with others, we always got their permission first before firing it up. Basic all around common courtesy stuff. Didn't use it all the time, but it was something we had and enjoyed.With due respect Bobby, I think it's rude to have a speaker playing even at relatively low volumes on a trail that has anyone else anywhere near. If you're talking the AT, this would be essentially the entire AT almost all of the time. I know you said "really near any other person", but on the AT this would pretty much always be the case.

Just my opinion. And I don't get too peeved about it, but I do think it is inappropriate.

Great idea on the cheap phone with $20 service thing.

My earlier point is I bet a lot of folks don't realize any old smart-phone works great WITHOUT any actual phone service, as a 2nd device for listening to music, books, 2nd camera, note taker, Jpeg-map viewer, whatever. And lightly used one are dirt cheap.

Bobby
11-03-2017, 14:12
don't know about you -but other than a few popular areas on the AT - I/we spent a lot of time alone. Some one can be a 1/4 mile from you and the fact is you may never know about them or meet them ever.

colorado_rob
11-03-2017, 14:22
don't know about you -but other than a few popular areas on the AT - I/we spent a lot of time alone. Some one can be a 1/4 mile from you and the fact is you may never know about them or meet them ever. Again, no biggie, and just one man's opinion, but this IS an AT specific thread (class of 2018), and in my roughly 3000 miles along the AT, I've rarely been alone enough for a loud speaker to be appropriate. And along the AT most of the way, or at least a large percentage part of the way, you won't see a person coming from the other direction until he/she is vary close to you.

Bobby
11-03-2017, 14:30
ya - I'm talking about the AT (thru-hike). Not sure what's rude about it if it's not impacting anyone - pretty sure we don't have to be silent in the woods - like a library -I often talk with people while walking, I sing to myself(out loud) while walking. Basically just living life -it's OK to make some noise. But as stated, when encountering others - one tends to change behavior...Perhaps you're picturing some type of PA system? That's not what I talking about - they make personal speakers that are very small and you'd need to be within 10 feet to really hear (and enjoy)....basically conversational volume - not rock concert volume.

colorado_rob
11-03-2017, 14:39
ya - I'm talking about the AT (thru-hike). Not sure what's rude about it if it's not impacting anyone - pretty sure we don't have to be silent in the woods - like a library -I often talk with people while walking, I sing to myself(out loud) while walking. Basically just living life -it's OK to make some noise. But as stated, when encountering others - one tends to change behavior...Perhaps you're picturing some type of PA system? That's not what I talking about - they make personal speakers that are very small and you'd need to be within 10 feet to really hear (and enjoy)....basically conversational volume - not rock concert volume. I hear ya (no pun intended!), just expressing an opinion on what I think is appropriate or not. If I passed you in the woods and you had your speaker going (because, say, I surprised you around a blind corner), I'd say hi and I'd ask what you're listening to (if it was a book) or I'd ask who that artist was (if it was a cool song I didn't recognize). I'd give you zero grief.

colorado_rob
11-03-2017, 14:44
By the way, in a kind of support for the OP, I listened to maybe 8-10 books along the AT, fantastic way to make those miles and hours melt away on the less interesting parts of the trail. I was really into the Jack Reacher series, 21 books total by Lee child, many of them pretty darn cheap on Audible, that is if you own them on Kindle already. I recently bought the complete Lord of the Rings trilogy, also fantastic trail-listening, really well done narration.

Emerson Bigills
11-03-2017, 14:45
I hiked with two other guys for almost 500 miles in New England. In the final two states we often would play music on one of our phones for a few hours a day in the remote areas. The middle guy had to have the phone or the other two hikers couldn't hear it, even if they were no more than 10 feet away. I was a little leery about it at first, but we usually only passed by no more than a handful of hikers a day. Hiking had become tough by that point and having the music was a huge pick me up for the three of us. If anyone else heard it, they didn't hear it for very long.

Before I hear a lot of complaints, which I don't care about, I also recall countless incidents of hearing loud talking hikers that never would shut up on the trail that were a lot more annoying than some good music.

Alligator
11-03-2017, 14:56
1. Get a Bluetooth broadcaster that plugs into the 3.5mm headphone jack, provided your iPhone has one. Get a headphone jack splitter. Plug in a wired set of headphones and the broadcaster into the dual jack. One person needs wireless ear buds.

2. Buy a truly wireless set of earplugs and you each get one. One ear is then able to hear the outside world and you could also talk to each other.

Alligator
11-03-2017, 15:00
3. This BT transmitter can actually broadcast to two devices https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IV1H1ME/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509735561&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=taotronics+bluetooth+transmitter+4.1&psc=1 So I guess you could both have stereo with the regular wireless ear buds. That one is neat, it works both as a transmitter and a receiver.

KCNC
11-03-2017, 15:12
By the way, in a kind of support for the OP, I listened to maybe 8-10 books along the AT, fantastic way to make those miles and hours melt away on the less interesting parts of the trail. I was really into the Jack Reacher series, 21 books total by Lee child, many of them pretty darn cheap on Audible, that is if you own them on Kindle already. I recently bought the complete Lord of the Rings trilogy, also fantastic trail-listening, really well done narration.

Lee Child doesn't write nearly fast enough.

Tennessee Viking
11-03-2017, 15:31
Buy a iPod or iPod Touch

rocketsocks
11-03-2017, 20:54
External speaker

Ethesis
11-04-2017, 20:12
Buy a iPod or iPod Touch

Lots of Apple shuffle type devices. Before there was an iPhone Apple had m3 players.

blw2
11-05-2017, 07:58
....... I also recall countless incidents of hearing loud talking hikers that never would shut up on the trail that were a lot more annoying than some good music.

yeah, probably a valid point about the loud talker....
BUT how about loud talker compared to some really really BAD music....which of those would you prefer?remember, your "good" might really grate on someone else like fingernails on a chalkboard......yes music is really that polarizing. It's not like talking....or even loud talking.
Some people like all sorts of different genres, but most don't.

Puddlefish
11-05-2017, 11:10
yeah, probably a valid point about the loud talker....
BUT how about loud talker compared to some really really BAD music....which of those would you prefer?remember, your "good" might really grate on someone else like fingernails on a chalkboard......yes music is really that polarizing. It's not like talking....or even loud talking.
Some people like all sorts of different genres, but most don't.

I'm often times reminded of the SNL skit The Loud Family. I'm just astounded that two people right next to each other feel the need to converse at 80 dB.

Slo-go'en
11-05-2017, 11:28

Music doesn't bother me. Loud distorted and tinny music coming from a cell phone does. It sounds more like a swarm of insects then music. I've a cell phone on which music actually sounds pretty good - at low volumes in a quiet room. Otherwise, not so good. if your going to play music out loud, at least make it sound good by getting a decent Bluetooth wireless speaker.

As far as loud talkers, it is amazing how far voices can travel under the right conditions. I've heard groups doing their "bonding ritual" at the end of the day as far as 1/4 mile away. And barking dogs from way down in the valley. Or the constant drone of highway noise, which you'll hear through the entire state of PA. The NASCAR raceway in CT is shear torture if you hike around the edge of that bowl overlooking the raceway on a weekend.

Slo-go'en
11-05-2017, 11:34
I'm often times reminded of the SNL skit The Loud Family. I'm just astounded that two people right next to each other feel the need to converse at 80 dB.

If you live in a town with a paper mill, you get used to everyone shouting since their all deaf or have family members who are from working the paper machines all their lives. But that's getting to be less of a problem around the Berlin, NH area since the mill closed and the old workers are dying off.

Leviticus
11-06-2017, 06:49
I can't quite remember the model, but Jaybird had a bluetooth headphone that allowed a second pair to connect to the first set and share audio. It was either the Freedom or the X3 model but I distinctly remember reading about this.

kestral
11-06-2017, 14:40
I also do not enjoy people sharing their music via loud speaker when I'm hiking. I have never specifically told another hiker they were rude, but have asked one party to turn it down. I use cheep earbuds, usually just one in to listen to books so I have the other ear free to hear that charging bear! Ha ha

good suggestion to use second dummy phone for loading books, musics, podcasts.

Consider checking out your local library. Mine has electronic books, audible books which can be easily downloaded to your phone. They use the "overdrive" free app. Selection varies between towns, if you have a friend in a large city ask them to give you their library card info. I use my son's Orlando card for a great selection and no cost to him. The books are all free and will be returned automatically at the end of 3 weeks so no late fees. Your taxes pay for this service so give it a try.

Mulungu
11-09-2017, 17:13
Thank you for all the advice.
i bought the Bluetooth splitter and will try It out this weekend.
If it works it will make the gear list

HooKooDooKu
11-09-2017, 18:42
OK... I've seen this "2 hikers one phone" too many times in my feed to resist...

Because every time I see the title, I keep thinking it sounds like the title of the next viral video
(think "2 girls 1 cup"... and for those that don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you skip googling for an explanation if you're easily grossed out)

Mulungu
11-11-2017, 09:58
3. This BT transmitter can actually broadcast to two devices https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IV1H1ME/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509735561&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=taotronics+bluetooth+transmitter+4.1&psc=1 So I guess you could both have stereo with the regular wireless ear buds. That one is neat, it works both as a transmitter and a receiver.
It works. Arrived today (bought one similar of the internet) I had to buy a pair of Bluetooth earbuds for Dandelion, then paired my running Bluetooth earbuds first, then the new ones and ..... MAGIC it works. we can be in different spaces up to 30 feet apart and we can listen to the same phone.