PDA

View Full Version : november 9th hike from Dick's creek ga to hogs pen

foxiedoxie
11-04-2017, 15:30
Getting ready to do this section next weekend. Anything in regard to must see or off trail hike or any suggestions on which shelters are the best to stay at. Any suggestions about water, etc will be helpful.
Thanks so much

johnspenn
11-04-2017, 15:42
Getting ready to do this section next weekend. Anything in regard to must see or off trail hike or any suggestions on which shelters are the best to stay at. Any suggestions about water, etc will be helpful.
Thanks so much

There should be plenty of water even in the intermittent areas with all the rain we've been getting lately. I'm not big on shelters, the one at Tray Mountain is no great shakes but it is one lol. There are some nice views on the side trail, and you might catch a good sunrise from there as well. Others more well versed in shelter habitation will chime in, hopefully.

foxiedoxie
11-04-2017, 18:53
There should be plenty of water even in the intermittent areas with all the rain we've been getting lately. I'm not big on shelters, the one at Tray Mountain is no great shakes but it is one lol. There are some nice views on the side trail, and you might catch a good sunrise from there as well. Others more well versed in shelter habitation will chime in, hopefully.

we are actually staying in a tent around the shelters...I don't like shelters either...lol afraid of rats.....

foxiedoxie
11-04-2017, 21:13
we are actually staying in a tent around the shelters...I don't like shelters either...lol afraid of rats.....
what about the cheese factory or another area that is not at a shelter. preferably good views

Stone1984
11-05-2017, 07:47
It looks like rain for the trip. I am starting at Deep gap with rain and when I finish at Unicoi it should be raining. Hope to see you out there!

Uncle Joe
11-05-2017, 12:08
what about the cheese factory or another area that is not at a shelter. preferably good views

The Cheese Factory site really doesn't have views. Just before there at Tray Gap is a spot with a view. It's just south of the road intersection maybe 50 yards if that.

Water shouldn't be an issue. At Sassafras Gap is a water source just south of the trail. I think it's cool because it pops out from under a tree. The views south of Indian Grave are nice too, just before you drop into Unicoi.

daddytwosticks
11-05-2017, 12:46
Did Hogpen to Dick's Creek two weeks ago. Water was plentiful. Slept in Blue Mountain shelter the first night and had a mouse jump on my head. The second night at Tray Mountain shelter, I tented. Big trees down all around as a result of Irma. However, the trail was clear. Have a great hike. :)

foxiedoxie
11-05-2017, 14:24
Did Hogpen to Dick's Creek two weeks ago. Water was plentiful. Slept in Blue Mountain shelter the first night and had a mouse jump on my head. The second night at Tray Mountain shelter, I tented. Big trees down all around as a result of Irma. However, the trail was clear. Have a great hike. :)

Thanks everyone.....how's the parking at dicks creek? pretty safe to leave truck? Got someone picking me up at hogspen

soumodeler
11-05-2017, 14:41
Should be fine at Dick's Creek Gap.

Stone1984
11-05-2017, 15:09
Hows the parking at Unicoi Gap? Thinking of leaving my car there for 3 days.

soumodeler
11-05-2017, 15:44
Generally safe, although there was one recent incident of vandalism to multiple cars.

I would still park there for a hike, although I always remove all valuables from my vehicle and open the glove box and center console so anyone interested can see there is nothing inside.

Stone1984
11-05-2017, 16:06
Generally safe, although there was one recent incident of vandalism to multiple cars.

I would still park there for a hike, although I always remove all valuables from my vehicle and open the glove box and center console so anyone interested can see there is nothing inside.

I am thinking of leaving everything open and doors unlocked

foxiedoxie
11-05-2017, 18:35
It looks like rain for the trip. I am starting at Deep gap with rain and when I finish at Unicoi it should be raining. Hope to see you out there!

i hope not..last time we hiked the AT it rained the entire time....I was looking at the weather and it looked liked Saturday night and Sunday rain; so hopefully Friday and Saturday will be good.

Stone1984
11-06-2017, 08:54
i hope not..last time we hiked the AT it rained the entire time....I was looking at the weather and it looked liked Saturday night and Sunday rain; so hopefully Friday and Saturday will be good.

I learned last time that I really don't mind hiking in the rain, setting up and tearing down camp in the rain is not fun but once I get hiking its not as bad. A bad day on the AT beats a good day at work

tagg
11-06-2017, 15:00
I am thinking of leaving everything open and doors unlocked

I have a friend who did that with his car when he left it overnight in a sketchy part of Atlanta, and when he came back the next day he discovered that someone had obviously been drinking in his backseat, put cigarettes out on his seats, and urinated on the center console. Nothing was stolen, though.

saltysack
11-06-2017, 16:25
I have a friend who did that with his car when he left it overnight in a sketchy part of Atlanta, and when he came back the next day he discovered that someone had obviously been drinking in his backseat, put cigarettes out on his seats, and urinated on the center console. Nothing was stolen, though.

Exactly what I was thinking....a mobile privy...sad but true....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soumodeler
11-06-2017, 16:40
Downtown Atlanta nowhere near the same thing as Dick's Creek Gap... I would be willing to bet that your vehicle is far more likely to be vandalized while locked than vandalized while unlocked and empty. All of the incidents I have heard of in GA were simple breaking windows to gain access to the vehicle to look for valuables. None found, move on to the next one. The druggies are only looking to make a quick buck, not outright destroy or vandalize things.

Slow Roller
11-07-2017, 08:07
I would camp at Tray Mt. And Blue Mt. Dick's Creek parking can be tight.