PDA

View Full Version : Summer rain gear

TwoForty
02-06-2006, 20:26
With the afternoon storms that normally last a few hours down here in the south, I figure I should invest in some nice raingear.

What do you use?

I have a Frogg Toggs top, but it is still a sauna in the summer. It really needs pit zips. I have heard bad things about the Precip. Ponchos normally get blown around and snagged up too much in my experience. How about the Mountain Hardwear Epic (not made out of EPIC mind you)?

betic4lyf
02-06-2006, 22:17
just in the planning stage, but would a wind shirt style jacket made out of silnylon, with bug netting in the pits be a good idea:clap

Rosie
02-06-2006, 22:22
I have the marmot precip jacket and I've been very happy with it. It has pit zips and mesh pockets, so if it gets a little warm, creating some air flow is pretty easy. What kinds of 'bad' things have you heard about it?

TwoForty
02-06-2006, 22:30
I have the marmot precip jacket and I've been very happy with it. It has pit zips and mesh pockets, so if it gets a little warm, creating some air flow is pretty easy. What kinds of 'bad' things have you heard about it?
Well, I've read a lot of reviews. Half seem to hate it, half seem to love it. Most of the complaints I heard were that it delaminates easily.

Rosie
02-06-2006, 22:34
I guess it probably depends on how hard you're going to 'use' it. I've had mine for two years and have worn it for mostly weekend hikes and several overnights. Nothing extended and I've put it through the washer a few times--never the dryer.

Maxwell_Allen
02-06-2006, 22:55
I used a patagonia Dragonfly that I found in an outlet for $25. Did it keep me dry? for about 5 minutes. Did it keep me warm? kinda. Does it dry in no time flat and weigh 2.7 oz? You betcha! It has its flaws but its all you really need in the summer... you get wet, you dry out.

4-cheese

verber
02-07-2006, 01:21
Over 70F I wear supplex clothing that dries in 20-30 minutes and call it a day. Between 50-70F I typically use a windshirt (which wets out) but keeps me from chilling to much when I am active, or maybe a rainshield o2 rain shell which I found to be less hot than frogg toggs. I like my Montbell Peak jacket, but won't want to use if while hiking it the temp was above 50F. I would overheat even with the pitzips open.

I think you will find the the Mountain Hardwear Epic too warm.

Other info:

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html#rainshell

rgarling
02-07-2006, 09:40
ponchos don't blow too badly with a belt. In bad conditions, you'll probably want to add chaps or similar...

Peaks
02-07-2006, 09:52
Raingear in summer depends on where you are. If it's warm enough, just strip down and get wet. If there isn't a wind blowing, then an umbrella works, or a poncho. However, much of the AT is along ridge lines where the wind can blow, and temperatures drop. So, a good rain jacket is advised. Typical choices include Frogg Toggs, Marmont Precip, and Red Ledge.

I would discourage relying a windshirt for rain protection. And while synthetics like suplex dry quickly, it is not rain protection. Wear it if you want to when it's warm enough.

Rain pants? My Frogg Togg rain pants are the only long pants I take with me in warm weather.

Squeaky 2
02-07-2006, 10:27
in the summer all i use is an emergancy poncho, its big enough to cover your pack aswell providing its not huge and it costs $0.99. they do get ripped, but hey buy another and they are lighter than anything else. i have found that expensive rain gear is good but it doesnt last for a whole thru hike.

2Ply
02-07-2006, 10:59
I've used a packa for the last several years. Once you place it around your pack you can put it on or take it off when needed and not have to worry about stoping to get something out of or off of your pack. The large pit zips help a lot in the Summer.