PDA

View Full Version : Guthooks Vs. Gaia

methodman
11-07-2017, 10:36
What is the difference between Guthooks and Gaia when it comes to using it on an the A. T. I need help making the choice.

eabyrd1506
11-07-2017, 10:51
What is the difference between Guthooks and Gaia when it comes to using it on an the A. T. I need help making the choice.

Never used Gaia but I can tell you Guthooks works well even when running in airplane mode to save battery. Waypoint files are updated and updatable by the community which can be helpful for water searches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
11-07-2017, 11:20
Guthooks: An app dedicated to AT logistics(along with other trails if you purchase the respective apps). It is strictly a guide, no logging your personal travel however you can create trips within the app, you can not record your trip as you complete.

GAIA: A real time GPS app that is outstanding. You can upload layers for different trails you would like to hike, track your route, speed, elevation gain/ loss. Very useful tool however it takes some playing with to learn.

If you are looking for use on the AT only, I would choose the guthooks app. If I am venturing off into an area that is not blazed, or a place without adequate signage, I turn on GAIA.

KDogg
11-07-2017, 11:51
These two apps are not even comparable.

Gaia is a GPS replacement. The goal is to be everything that, say, a Garmin device is.

Guthook's is a trail guide that has GPS capabilities. Guthook's contains information such as shelters, water sources, town and facility information. Guthook's allows users to comment on all waypoints to give status on them that is available to all users. Great for finding out if a water source is running or if shelters have pest problems. It also has pictures of every waypoint so that you know what to look for. Guthook's is much more than a standard GPS and is available for many more trails than just the AT. Yes, pricey but it is not just a GPS app. The app may not be relevant to you once you have completed a thru hike but it is awesome if that is what you are doing. I used it last year and swear by it. I wouldn't do any long trail without Guthook's maps if they were available.

Rex Clifton
11-07-2017, 12:54
You need both (really). If you run on Android, Backcountry Navigator Pro is better than Gaia (much better). Apple fanboys need not apply.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

johnspenn
11-07-2017, 14:43
Guthooks: An app dedicated to AT logistics(along with other trails if you purchase the respective apps). It is strictly a guide, no logging your personal travel however you can create trips within the app, you can not record your trip as you complete.

GAIA: A real time GPS app that is outstanding. You can upload layers for different trails you would like to hike, track your route, speed, elevation gain/ loss. Very useful tool however it takes some playing with to learn.

If you are looking for use on the AT only, I would choose the guthooks app. If I am venturing off into an area that is not blazed, or a place without adequate signage, I turn on GAIA.

What he said.

johnspenn
11-07-2017, 14:44
You need both (really). If you run on Android, Backcountry Navigator Pro is better than Gaia (much better). Apple fanboys need not apply.

I use Gaia (for Android) and really like it. Never tried BNP. What makes BNP a better app? (Don't doubt you, just curious. Thanks.)

eabyrd1506
11-07-2017, 14:57

The latest version of Guthooks allows you to record you travels if you wish. I never saw the need, I know where I have been, it is where I am gong that excites me

Rex Clifton
11-07-2017, 15:00
I use Gaia (for Android) and really like it. Never tried BNP. What makes BNP a better app? (Don't doubt you, just curious. Thanks.)
A couple of things. The map engine is much better in BCN, they render quicker, run smoother and, overall, look better, even using the same map data. BCN is less buggy than Gaia. Funny, I also have an iPhone and the Gaia app works much better in IOS, telling me the developer is putting more resources into that platform. I prefer the BCN interface to Gaia, but that's a personal preference. Another big deal, for me, it that you can change the waypoint symbols in BCN so you can, at a glance, know that the waypoint your approaching is, say, a campsite or a parking area. On the other hand, I really like that with Gaia, you can download a map along a track while in BCN, you have to do manually. Finally, Gaia is moving toward a subscription model where you pay every year. Not yet on Android (I don't think) but it's coming. With BCN, you pay for the app only once.

globetruck
11-07-2017, 20:43
Guthook = Waze for hiking. Somewhat real time updates regarding water source availability, distance to next water, road, town, shelter. Really good elevation profile data as well.

Gaia is a great iPhone GPS app, but the AT is just another trail.

johnspenn
11-07-2017, 21:57
A couple of things. The map engine is much better in BCN, they render quicker, run smoother and, overall, look better, even using the same map data. BCN is less buggy than Gaia. Funny, I also have an iPhone and the Gaia app works much better in IOS, telling me the developer is putting more resources into that platform. I prefer the BCN interface to Gaia, but that's a personal preference. Another big deal, for me, it that you can change the waypoint symbols in BCN so you can, at a glance, know that the waypoint your approaching is, say, a campsite or a parking area. On the other hand, I really like that with Gaia, you can download a map along a track while in BCN, you have to do manually. Finally, Gaia is moving toward a subscription model where you pay every year. Not yet on Android (I don't think) but it's coming. With BCN, you pay for the app only once.

Being able to use different waypoint symbols would be a big plus. Does BCN have a web interface like Gaia does?

Rex Clifton
11-08-2017, 08:21
Not sure, never used. I do all my work in Garmin Basecamp then download to the app. Since I also have an Oregon 600, I kill two birds with one stone.

QiWiz
11-09-2017, 14:41
I find them both useful. I use both when I'm on a trail that Guthook has an app for, and just Gaia when not.

mrsempeel
12-04-2017, 11:22

Yes Guthooks does record your trip as you go. Used it several times this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gabigabs
03-27-2018, 23:08
They are both useful apps. On a trail like the AT, you will likely find Guthooks more useful as it contains data specifically tailored for that trail and users notes about what's ahead of you.

If you plan side trips to explore off the trail, Gaia would be a better tool. It's more like your typical GPS.

Cosmo
04-01-2018, 17:52
Thank for the tip on BCN. Does it offer geo referenced photos when marking waypoints?

Not sure, never used. I do all my work in Garmin Basecamp then download to the app. Since I also have an Oregon 600, I kill two birds with one stone.

Elaikases
04-01-2018, 18:22
These two apps are not even comparable.

Gaia is a GPS replacement. The goal is to be everything that, say, a Garmin device is.

Guthook's is a trail guide that has GPS capabilities. Guthook's contains information such as shelters, water sources, town and facility information. Guthook's allows users to comment on all waypoints to give status on them that is available to all users. Great for finding out if a water source is running or if shelters have pest problems. It also has pictures of every waypoint so that you know what to look for. Guthook's is much more than a standard GPS and is available for many more trails than just the AT. Yes, pricey but it is not just a GPS app. The app may not be relevant to you once you have completed a thru hike but it is awesome if that is what you are doing. I used it last year and swear by it. I wouldn't do any long trail without Guthook's maps if they were available.

For what you get it is pretty cheap.

And it keeps getting better.