PDA

View Full Version : Erwin to Hot Springs....anyone out recently ?

saltysack
11-09-2017, 13:02
Only have lil over 3 Days so don’t think I’ll start at iron mtn gap but Erwin instead. How’s trail and water conditions for this section? My guide book is four years old so distances probably off some.

Park at HS mid Day this Wednesday and shuttle to Erwin. Plan for the half day is get from Erwin to Big Bald cowboy camp. Approx 18 miles.

Day two
Thursday get near big but. Approx 21.7 miles.

Day three
Friday get to Rich mtn Fire tower.
20 miles.

Day four
Saturday to hot springs for breakfast then the Long 7 hour drive home after the 8 miles to HS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2017, 13:25
My TEHCC contacts last reported a handful of blowdowns on Unaka. Don't have any info south of Erwin.

Slo-go'en
11-09-2017, 13:36
That's pretty ambitious mileage for that section, this time of year. Good Luck!

FrogLevel
11-09-2017, 14:33
Based on the stream flows coming down from the mountains the water situation should be normal. Its been pretty wet the last few days.

Mr. Bumpy
11-09-2017, 19:22
If you are coming off the couch those are very ambitious miles in that section for any time of the year! Sam's Gap to HS may be an option.

Haven't we had this conversation before?

saltysack
11-09-2017, 20:23
If you are coming off the couch those are very ambitious miles in that section for any time of the year! Sam's Gap to HS may be an option.

Haven't we had this conversation before?

Had planned on iron mtn gap as start but definitely too ambitious as my wife needs me home by Saturday night. I’m in pretty decent shape and tend to push lil farther as I get bored sitting around at camp, almost always night hike and rather enjoy it....

Slo-go'en
11-09-2017, 21:18
as I get bored sitting around at camp, almost always night hike and rather enjoy it....

Night hiking is pretty much a given this time of year. Though it does slow you down. Weather will be the determining factor. Hope for good weather. Big Bald is really big - it seems to go on forever! It's also very exposed.

Mr. Bumpy
11-09-2017, 22:22
I hope you post back when you are finished. Be aware that between Flint Mt. Shelter and Jerry Cabin that because there are several ATV trails, fire roads, relocations, crossings and splits that it is very easy to get off the AT. If you lose it in that vicinity I think it's easy to think that you are on a parallel trail, and maybe you are but maybe you aren't. I hike there several times a year ad see people get turned around there often. Maybe I know from experience too:) Be extremely careful if you go through that section in the dark.
Don't forget that on your way into HS that if you needed to cut some time and miles then shortly after Rich Mt. Fire tower there is a marked trail called Roundtop Ridge Trail that drops you directly into HS. It is well marked and well maintained.
Rich Mt. Fire Tower is worth the stop.
Enjoy it!

saltysack
11-09-2017, 22:55
Night hiking is pretty much a given this time of year. Though it does slow you down. Weather will be the determining factor. Hope for good weather. Big Bald is really big - it seems to go on forever! It's also very exposed.

Thx...could stop at shelter if weathers bad. Forecast looks good as of now but obviously a ways out...will play by ear and hoping to get a little earlier start...

saltysack
11-09-2017, 22:56
I hope you post back when you are finished. Be aware that between Flint Mt. Shelter and Jerry Cabin that because there are several ATV trails, fire roads, relocations, crossings and splits that it is very easy to get off the AT. If you lose it in that vicinity I think it's easy to think that you are on a parallel trail, and maybe you are but maybe you aren't. I hike there several times a year ad see people get turned around there often. Maybe I know from experience too:) Be extremely careful if you go through that section in the dark.
Don't forget that on your way into HS that if you needed to cut some time and miles then shortly after Rich Mt. Fire tower there is a marked trail called Roundtop Ridge Trail that drops you directly into HS. It is well marked and well maintained.
Enjoy it!

saltysack
11-09-2017, 23:02
Enjoy it!

Great info...I recall hearing about the trail being confusing in that area, thx for the heads up. probably a good call to stop earlier and hit it during the day light. I’ll post back afterwards...Any idea how much the round top ridge trail cuts off?

Mr. Bumpy
11-09-2017, 23:17
Roundtop Ridge trail is almost a straight shot down off of Rich Mt. I don't know the exact distances but it would cut about 3.5 miles off on an otherwise 8 mile or so section.
Shelton Graves is a nice stopping place. The Flint Mt. Shelter is a nice area. It is all nice area. Enjoy it!
When are you doing this?

saltysack
11-09-2017, 23:40
Roundtop Ridge trail is almost a straight shot down off of Rich Mt. I don't know the exact distances but it would cut about 3.5 miles off on an otherwise 8 mile or so section.
Shelton Graves is a nice stopping place. The Flint Mt. Shelter is a nice area. It is all nice area. Enjoy it!
When are you doing this?

Plan to be in HS by 10 am this wed and shuttle to Erwin.

Dan Roper
11-10-2017, 04:13
The Firescald Balds, between Jerry Cabin and Laurel Shelter, is a rocky, technical stretch that will slow down most hikers. There is a blue blaze that takes your around and below that stretch. It's important to be aware of that blue-blaze if the weather is bad.

Slo-go'en
11-10-2017, 12:28
The Firescald Balds, between Jerry Cabin and Laurel Shelter, is a rocky, technical stretch that will slow down most hikers. There is a blue blaze that takes your around and below that stretch. It's important to be aware of that blue-blaze if the weather is bad.

I forgot about Firescald bald. it's a really nasty rock scramble along the top of that ridge. It's lots of fun in good weather, but yes it is slow as you need to really pay attention to where you put your feet and you definitely need to do it in daylight. Using the blue blaze would likely be the best thing to do in any event and even that has a sketchy bit if I remember right. The Blue blaze is actually the old AT until someone decided it would be fun to detour you along the top of that ragged ridge line. There is a really big sign at the blue blaze junction advising you to use the blue blaze.

Tennessee Viking
11-10-2017, 14:08
Last I heard the Konnarock crews did some nice work from Big Butt to Flint Gap in the last few years.

Mr. Bumpy
11-27-2017, 23:08
Great info...I recall hearing about the trail being confusing in that area, thx for the heads up. probably a good call to stop earlier and hit it during the day light. I’ll post back afterwards...Any idea how much the round top ridge trail cuts off?

Hey there. Did you do this hike?

saltysack
11-28-2017, 08:50
Hey there. Did you do this hike?

I arrived at laughing heart lil after 12:30am Saturday morning November 25 after the 7.5 hour drive. Slow to get up but headed down to the diner and started hiking from hot springs at 10am and didn’t reach little laurel shelter til about 6:45 (20 miles)and had the place to myself, except the usual rodents but my pup took care of them. Yep it got dark early @ 5:30. Next morning hit the trail about 8 had planned to do 24+ miles but called it a day 22 miles in at hogback ridge shelter around 7. I had taken a bad fall on my knee trying to avoid an ankle roll earlier and the ibuprofen 800’s didn’t help. Damn leaves sure make it tough! Knowing I needed to finish in 3 days to appease my wife and work obligations left me about 27 miles yesterday so I was up at 5:30 and walking by 6...I had to see how the knee felt but the 2.5 mile down hill to I 26 told me there was no way I’d make it as after lil bald it’s mostly downhill. At the top of big bald I called uncle johnnys for a ride from Spivey gap back to HS. The down hill from big bald to Spivey gap was a slow go....I was basically using my trekking poles as crutches by the end. Timing was perfect as I crawled the 16 miles into Spivey gap the shuttle driver arrived on schedule at 2:30. As you CALLED it..too aggressive of a schedule for winter!!! I now agree! In the end a great trip, hoping the knee will be ok, I’ll pick up where I left off.

Mr. Bumpy
11-28-2017, 19:01
Outstanding!

When you pick up where you left off, if you don't care what direction (N or S) you hike I would definitely advise to go from Carvers Gap to Erwin, not Erwin to Carvers Gap. It is a looooong uphill from Erwin to Roan Mt.

Enjoy!

saltysack
11-28-2017, 22:25
Outstanding!

When you pick up where you left off, if you don't care what direction (N or S) you hike I would definitely advise to go from Carvers Gap to Erwin, not Erwin to Carvers Gap. It is a looooong uphill from Erwin to Roan Mt.

Enjoy!

Yea no kidding I did from iron mtn gap to 19e several years ago in February....brutal especially with ice. Forgot to mention the lack of switch backs on the HS to Spivey gap section..damn it felt like Jacobs ladder all day!....even the dog got tired! I think I fell more in those 2.5 days than ever before!