PDA

View Full Version : YakTrax sizing

MtDoraDave
11-09-2017, 17:50
I'm going to finish TN and do some of VA in a couple weeks, and I want to bring some yaktrax. They seem light, inexpensive, and better than slipping and falling dozens of times on ice (if I encounter any like I did a couple years ago).

The sizing says Medium fits mens 9 - 11 and Large fits mens 11.5+

I wear keen Targhee 2 size 11.5 - should I go with the Large or stretch the Medium?

I've never used these, but I imagine a loose fit would be about worthless...

any help?

SkeeterPee
11-09-2017, 18:25
Have you used them? I agree they are light and do help a lot on snow/ice, but I did not find them very sturdy. The rubber snagged on a root and broke on about the third time I ran on them. Perhaps others will have better results.

saltysack
11-09-2017, 18:58
Dave your money....only time I would have bothered was going over Roan...if it’s iffy I just carry few screws... https://youtu.be/cD0IS3hjJPM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyjam
11-09-2017, 19:40
Get the large. I have worn them on my size 12 keens. I take them with me hiking in the SNP during the winter and they work pretty good.

cmoulder
11-10-2017, 09:04
Don't waste your money on YakTrax! They're better than nothing, but not much... on ice or even hard compacted snow they have no grip whatsoever and they are flimsy.

I busted my ass on hard snow at the local dog park. I'd NEVER take them into the mountains.

Get some Kahtoola microspikes instead.

jimmyjam
11-10-2017, 09:12
I've had no slippage problems at all. Everyone's experience is different.

cmoulder
11-10-2017, 09:46
Fact: They don't have any 'bite' on ice once the coils get flattened with use.

I rarely write a post that doesn't include IMO or IME or 'for me', but I intentionally did not do that here. I stand by my comments.

In real mountains these things can lead to serious injury or worse.

But hey, I'm just some schmuck on the interwebs. :o

1azarus
11-10-2017, 17:15
Fact: They don't have any 'bite' on ice once the coils get flattened with use.

I rarely write a post that doesn't include IMO or IME or 'for me', but I intentionally did not do that here. I stand by my comments.

In real mountains these things can lead to serious injury or worse.

But hey, I'm just some schmuck on the interwebs. :o

I love everyone... but cmoulder is absolutely right. some things are judgement calls. this is not one of them.

garlic08
11-10-2017, 20:20
Another voice in the chorus--Yaktrax are good for going to work or getting the mail--a few times. They won't survive rocks.

MtDoraDave
11-12-2017, 16:55
Very well. Thank you for your input.

The screw idea would be great, if only I carried a screwdriver when I hiked... and I'm not fond of the idea of putting screws into my boots beforehand.

I'll just hope I don't run into an icy section this time...and if I do, remember to fall on my pack.

saltysack
11-12-2017, 19:58
Very well. Thank you for your input.

The screw idea would be great, if only I carried a screwdriver when I hiked... and I'm not fond of the idea of putting screws into my boots beforehand.

I'll just hope I don't run into an icy section this time...and if I do, remember to fall on my pack.

Simple 2oz Leatherman ps4 squirt works fine along with being very useful in other tasks....

1azarus
11-12-2017, 22:01
...I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion...I, too, have struggled with walking on icy trails, and prefer not to fall down too often. That's why I took other serious winter hiker's advice and bought microspikes. If I were hiking with you I would have them in my ultra light pack. I think the responders are mostly just saying don't buy yak trax!

Sarcasm the elf
11-12-2017, 22:21
Simple 2oz Leatherman ps4 squirt works fine along with being very useful in other tasks....

I tried that method a while ago, using the actual sabil-icers hardened screws. I wasn't able to get them in by hand and had to use a screwgun. Did you pre-drill holes in order to fit the screws in by hand.

garlic08
11-13-2017, 00:12
I've driven hex head sheet metal screws using the round end of a cheap 1/4" combination wrench that weighs about 10 grams.

saltysack
11-13-2017, 11:26
I tried that method a while ago, using the actual sabil-icers hardened screws. I wasn't able to get them in by hand and had to use a screwgun. Did you pre-drill holes in order to fit the screws in by hand.

Haven’t tried with the Altra trail runners but was able to get in w screw driver into lasportiva wildcats.

rocketsocks
11-13-2017, 12:20
Use an 1/8” nut driver.

rocketsocks
11-13-2017, 12:25
A small dot of “shoe goo” on the threads will ensure a permanent hobnailed shoe.