what took so long?

Read about it at:

http://incanpouch.tripod.com/beer/id3.html

rumbler
02-05-2003, 15:18
That really really warms my heart.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2003, 15:47
Yeah but that beer is overpriced and yuppified. A 16oz. PBR is much cheaper and the left over aluminum doesn't weigh much more than the pouch.

Waterbuffalo
02-05-2003, 21:14
I saw this in Backpacker a couple months ago any body try it yet?

Blue Jay
02-06-2003, 08:36
Yes, I'd rather drink sun warmed river water with the nasty tasting chemicals some of you put in it. Piels is better. Again, Lone Wolf is correct (dam I have to stop saying that).

Waterbuffalo
02-06-2003, 08:43
I also Agree w/ LW and Bluejay a good ice cold PBR is all you need. I'll pack that in instead plus it doesn't look that macho crushing a pouch on your forehead!

SGT Rock
02-06-2003, 08:48
I gotta agree. A beer can might weigh a whole ounce, a packet probably weighs 0.8 ounnces. So get yer fav in a can and do it like that. Besides, you can't make a stove out of that bag.

Lugnut
02-06-2003, 14:38
I saw a quick report a few months ago that the Japanese had come up with a powdered beer; just add water. The gist of the report was that the U.S. would not let them introduce it to this country. I never saw anything else about it. I can't imagine that it would be too good but then after several days out it may be better than nothing.:D
Anyone else seen anymore on this?

Waterbuffalo
02-06-2003, 14:42
I saw the same thing and then I saw a report from GA Tech that they had invented a beer food flavoring that you can sprinkle on your food like salt.

Waterbuffalo
02-06-2003, 20:24
I found a review it's in Backpakcer october 2002 Page 17

Lone Wolf
02-06-2003, 23:54
Bottom line. Suck it up and carry a six-pack. You weight weenies gotta lighten up and enjoy your hike. Y'all are funny and pathetic at the same time. The "wimping" of the trail is in full swing.

Lugnut
02-07-2003, 01:28
Wimping? What's that all about? Some of us have to drive hundreds of miles to hike on the AT and you only have to crawl 50 yards! Who's got it easier? :D

Lone Wolf
02-07-2003, 08:29
You're right. sorry.

Blue Jay
02-07-2003, 09:51
Lugnut, I believe there is a trail that runs from somewhere in Ohio over to upstate New York? I think it connects to the trail that runs down the Hudson through the Catskills and connects to the AT in Herriman State Park. I should know the names of these because I've even walked parts of the one in the Catskills. Baltimore Jack will attest to the fact that I should not be giving directions to anyone. Anyway, my point is, even for you, it's a short walk to the AT.

Redbeard
02-07-2003, 13:24
Beer in town, Rum on trail. Bacardi makes some nice enhanced stuff you can light on fire(OPAH!)

Lugnut
02-07-2003, 17:29
Blue Jay The Buckeye Trail does connect with the North Country Trail (they actually are the same trail for a ways) then goes through PA into NY. That's too long of a shortcut for me!

screwysquirrel
02-07-2003, 21:33
The trail in Ohio is called the Buckeye Trail and believe me you would not ever want to hike it because the majority of it is on the back roads, it doesn't even deserve the title of trail.

bbinkley
02-10-2003, 16:54
I am often criticized for taking as much beer on the trail as I do. Miller Lite makes 16 ounce beer that comes in a plastic bottle now. I usually take a 6 pack for a weekend trip or a 12 pack if it is for a few days. They taste great and have less filling.

jlb2012
02-10-2003, 17:35
welcome Big Gulp to WhiteBlaze

the criticism is not so much as for the beer - it was the ice that you packed in to keep the beer cold :D

One nice thing about those "pounders" was that the plastic bottle seemed to be designed to burn up completely in the campfire - all those empties that hit the fire in the Sipsey were completely consumed as I noticed on the hike out when I stopped back at the site to pack out the other peoples trash that had been left before we ever got there.

bbinkley
02-10-2003, 17:40
I didn't mention that they burn good too. I didn't want to offend anyone over here. My theory is this. better to burn them instead of letting them sit in a landfill for the next 25 years.

It's been great this winter not having to haul the ice in too.

But I'm sure that will change soon enough.