PDA

View Full Version : Help in planning a trip/honeymoon VA-MD

orangebug
02-06-2006, 22:45
I am getting married toward the middle of June. There has been a thread about where in the SNP to "pop the question", but my question is popped and affirmed.

What I'm looking for is how to honeymoon with my sweetie in North VA/Maryland with a very newbie hiker babe/wife. I suspect that she would be more comfortable with hostel/B&B slackpacking sort of trip, preferably for 5-6 days, while the dotters are with friends or in camp - probably end of June into the July 4 holiday.

I've done some Central VA, and she has expressed interest in Harpers Ferry and MD (her home state). I'm a bit concerned with the traffic and such of NOVA. I know what I'm looking for is closer to a Appalachian Trail Institute style walk than is koscher, but I'm trying to be gentle with her.

Any ideas or recommendations?

OB

Alligator
02-06-2006, 23:19
You might consider using one of the back country cabins rented by PATC. The cabin book is available for a couple of dollars from PATC.

orangebug
02-07-2006, 00:16
Well, what I envisioned was having a series of B&B's or Hostels and slackpacking each day and completing maybe 40-50 miles over a 5-6 day period. I see how easy that could be in NJ, but wonder if such a thing could be put together in VA/MD.

Miss Janet
02-07-2006, 00:25
....or ARE YOU CRAZY??

Ok, I guess you know what you are doing. I watched you two at the SoRuck... it was downright icky sweet!

You might want to go about this outside of the usual AT circle. Find the B&B's near the section of trail you want to do... then ask them if they could provide shuttle services. This is more comon than most "hikers" would expect. It is THE way they hike in a lot of European countries.

Good Luck!!

Sly
02-07-2006, 00:30
OB check out the C and O Canal. Easy hiking, lots of wildlife, natural beauty, history and B&B's or Inns along the way.

StarLyte
02-07-2006, 08:00
We want a report OB!--Marsha

TJ aka Teej
02-07-2006, 08:30
I am getting married toward the middle of June.

Congrats, OB!

MacGyver2005
02-07-2006, 08:55
C&O is a good suggestion. Also, check around Harper's Ferry and south towards Bear's Den. There is lots to do in that area.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 08:56

OB

You could always get a nice room in Shenandoah and explore side trails off of the AT on a series of day hikes. That might be real nice.

Whatever you choose, have a good time. And Congrats.

Cookerhiker
02-07-2006, 09:49
First of all, congratulations! Your plan sounds wonderful, not to say romantic.

2 possibilities for the general area you've mentioned:

1. Shenandoah National Park - hike during the day, indulge in the numerous B&Bs down both sides of the ridge at night. My wife and I have stayed in B&Bs near Stanardsville (east side), Edinburg (west side), and Woodstock. Using the internet search engines to find B&Bs, you'll locate quite a few on both sides.

This will require some planning on your part especially transportation, i.e. contacting shuttlers. Since you're talking mid-June, I'd be willing to shuttle you 1-2 nights since I expect to be in SNP then working on the section I maintain.

2. Slightly north of your parameter, consider Pennsylvania south of Duncannon. The hiking is fairly easy and B&Bs abound in Gettysburg, Chambersburg, Shippensburg, Carlisle, Boiling Springs, and points in between. Again, you'll have to arrange with shuttlers. One of the shuttlers in the Boiling Springs area - Mike Gelinas, he's on the ATC list - also owns a B&B.

Happy trails!:o

Tim Rich
02-07-2006, 09:53
You might consider using one of the back country cabins rented by PATC. The cabin book is available for a couple of dollars from PATC.

Congratulations!

Cabin info's also available online at http://www.patc.net/activities/cabins/

It might be worth your money to join PATC ($30) to gain access to their members only cabins. Some of the members only "cabins" are actually houses, such as Highacre, about 100 feet from Jefferson Rock in HF with similar views:

http://www.patc.net/images/cab_highacre.jpg
http://www.patc.net/images/cab_hacre_2.jpg

Rentals are first come, first serve, up to two months in advance.

You can also drive up to Bears Den Hostel.

Take Care,

Tim

The Solemates
02-07-2006, 10:22
I am getting married toward the middle of June. There has been a thread about where in the SNP to "pop the question", but my question is popped and affirmed.

What I'm looking for is how to honeymoon with my sweetie in North VA/Maryland with a very newbie hiker babe/wife. I suspect that she would be more comfortable with hostel/B&B slackpacking sort of trip, preferably for 5-6 days, while the dotters are with friends or in camp - probably end of June into the July 4 holiday.

I've done some Central VA, and she has expressed interest in Harpers Ferry and MD (her home state). I'm a bit concerned with the traffic and such of NOVA. I know what I'm looking for is closer to a Appalachian Trail Institute style walk than is koscher, but I'm trying to be gentle with her.

OB

my suggestion is scrap the hiking and head to hawaii.

Israel
02-07-2006, 11:06
I would do whatever will bring you all closer together and focused on each other...that may or may not be the trail. Hawaii sounds nice to me too. :) Go the big island or maui though, not Oahu

The Solemates
02-07-2006, 11:58
I would do whatever will bring you all closer together and focused on each other...that may or may not be the trail. Hawaii sounds nice to me too. :) Go the big island or maui though, not Oahu

kauai is the best island, followed by maui, the big island, and then oahu. but ya gotta go to pearl harbor while youre there too.

Almost There
02-07-2006, 16:15
OB Congrats!!!! Erin and I gotta take you guys out to dinner...soon!!!

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2006, 18:18
Wow, congratulations!

A few quick ideas:

*The Hilltop House is a famous old hotel up on a cliff in Harpers Ferry; it might be a nice romantic spot for one night.

*Bears Den Hostel in Northern VA is wonderful, and the hiking on either side of it is pretty easy.

*Laura at the Outfitter in Harpers Ferry knows the surrounding area very well; I bet she can suggest some B&B's and other places in Northern VA or Marytland that aren't in any of the guidebooks.

*The idea to check out the PATC cabins is a good one.

Have fun and best wishes!