PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Apps? Or do I need to break down and buy a GPS?

JJ505
11-10-2017, 18:04
I downloaded AllTrails. Also kind of too fast paid for the Pro version. Looked very promising. Really seemed useful, then and it was about mid October, I had no more data usage available (kind of have a senior plan, which has always worked fine for me). It also seems to require a cell phone coverage which is nice if you walk in a park, which I don't. Also seems to suck batteries.
Not too big a deal right now.

Is there one that?
1. Works all over the US.
2. Can work in airplane mode.

Don't know if the data use is because I don't have it airplane mode or... I hope someone could 'splain this one to me. :)

Slo-go'en
11-10-2017, 19:10
If you don't pre-download the maps for the area your hiking in, it will require a cell signal to get the maps you need. You should be able to down load the maps of interest via WiFi at home or the library and then it should work in airplane mode. That's the way the GPS app I have works.

Maps require a lot of data storage and therefore take a long time to download, so getting detailed maps for the whole country isn't real practical. Just get maps for the area you need at the time.

eabyrd1506
11-10-2017, 19:52
No need for a stand alone GPS any longer but I still strongly suggest as map and compass and the knowledge to use them if you venture away from well blazed trails. There are several threads on the merits of the various apps available. I use Guthooks for the AT but it is more guidebook with nav then pure GPS. Gaia GPS and back country navigator both seem to be well received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnspenn
11-10-2017, 20:31
eabyrd1506 has it covered. Guthooks for the major long trails, Gaia for the rest. Download the map you need at home on wifi, no data used from your plan. Once you're out in the wilds, put your phone on airplane mode and use your pre-downloaded maps to navigate. Gaia also has a web tool for lap/desktops that synchs with your phone ap. I like that.

Some on here like Backcountry Navigator Pro, I've never tried it.

Really no need for a dedicated GPS anymore, but I do carry a PLB when I'm out overnight or longer.

rocketsocks
11-10-2017, 21:49
Need a gps, nope, fun to fool with, yup!

JJ505
11-11-2017, 01:15
Some very helpful responses. And then there's rocket socks. Oh well...
BTW, no didn't think that I needed the WHOLE US, since I don't intend to hike it. I'm also not thru hiking.

Traveler
11-11-2017, 08:51
BTW, no didn't think that I needed the WHOLE US, since I don't intend to hike it. I'm also not thru hiking.
Probably maps would be a better alternative given your stated issues; maxing out your data plan, requiring cell coverage to use the product, not hiking on trails, and limited battery life. A map, watch, and compass remain the best basic navigation tools, which many consider necessities. Murphy loves electronic gear in the back country.

rocketsocks
11-11-2017, 11:05
Get lost...

Rex Clifton
11-11-2017, 14:52
My two cents; for trail hiking, a navigation app is all you need, however, if you're planning to bushwack or hike on poorly maintained trails, I would definitely recommend a stand alone GPS like the Garmin 600. Also, a stand alone GPS is great for canoing in a place like the BWCA.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Rex Clifton
11-11-2017, 15:02
Also, another good reason to go with a Garmin 600 is price. With new smart phones going for in excess of $1,000; do you really wanna be pulling it out of your pocket frequently to, say, check a bearing? With the new glass phones, you only get to drop them once! My Garmin 600 costs less than $200 and I have beaten the crap out of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

JJ505
11-11-2017, 16:15
I would never pay $1000 for a phone. I have a iPhone 6s and I pay $1 a month, might pony up for the iPhone 6, so I get a bit bigger phone or when the iPhone 8 comes out, maybe I'll get the 7, it'll be new to me.

rocketsocks
11-11-2017, 17:17
I would never pay $1000 for a phone. I have a iPhone 6s and I pay $1 a month, might pony up for the iPhone 6, so I get a bit bigger phone or when the iPhone 8 comes out, maybe I'll get the 7, it'll be new to me.I usually get my kids leftovers, but this last one was the 6 SE with ample storage that was a year or two old, it runs gps apps no problem... with room to spare.

rocketsocks
11-11-2017, 17:18
...though it is a battery hog!

DownEaster
11-11-2017, 17:21
... is price. With new smart phones going for in excess of $1,000; do you really wanna be pulling it out of your pocket frequently to, say, check a bearing? ... My Garmin 600 costs less than $200 and I have beaten the crap out of it.
You can pay $1000 for a phone, but you can also get a Moto G4 like mine for $200. Ruggedize it a bit with a TPU case and stick-on tempered glass screen protector for another $10 and you're good to go.

Slo-go'en
11-11-2017, 19:31
I paid $75 for a ZTE phone with 5.5" HD screen so I could read topo maps on it. As a bonus it's got a decent 13meg camera. It's locked to an odd ball carrier which only services major metropolitan areas, so it isn't activated as a phone. I use a cheap Tracfone for that. I use the ZTE as a small and light weight tablet.

I also have a Garmin Dakota 20 which I paid about $300 for and is not very good due to it's small, hard to navigate screen and low resolution. It runs on 2 "AA" batteries and not for very long. The mini-tablet cell phone works much better.

JJ505
11-12-2017, 18:08
Found out last night that you CAN download AllTrails maps, however, for some reason it's not letting me. Time to find out if customer support exists. It's good for me right now, not sure in the future...

TX Aggie
11-12-2017, 23:38
I downloaded AllTrails. Also kind of too fast paid for the Pro version. Looked very promising. Really seemed useful, then and it was about mid October, I had no more data usage available (kind of have a senior plan, which has always worked fine for me). It also seems to require a cell phone coverage which is nice if you walk in a park, which I don't. Also seems to suck batteries.
Not too big a deal right now.

Is there one that?
1. Works all over the US.
2. Can work in airplane mode.

Don't know if the data use is because I don't have it airplane mode or... I hope someone could 'splain this one to me. :)

As others have mentioned, find an app that works for you and download the map for the area you’re hiking prior to departure. There are several that I rely on depending on the circumstance: All Trails, Topo Maps, View Ranger, Gaia (seems to be the best IMHO). All allow you to download maps and use in Airplane mode. And yes, when you’re on the Trail use airplane mode as much as possible.

If you just want something to spot check where you are, phone apps work great. If you want TRACKING, then that is when you need to decide on either a dedicated GPS or an external battery. That’s where I am now. I really want a GPS for tracking, but my phone works, I just need an external battery Ala Anker. However, many cell phones don’t have coverage where I want to hike, so do I pay a little more for In Reach/Spot technology?

So it just depends on your personal comfort level and quite frankly how informed you want to keep your family and friends.

JJ505
11-13-2017, 17:01
Thanks for all the comments.
I found out how to download the maps on AllTrails, but I believe you are limited to their maps. If you want to go beyond them, then you need to get another program. Alltrails does allow for tracks, but again it is limited. Going to check out Wednesday though. Otherwise I'll get either Gaia or Backcountry.

@TX Aggie. Yep I'm going to get a battery charger. iPhones don't really allow an easy battery change. Too bad. But too late as I drank the Kool Ade long ago. :)

JJ505
11-13-2017, 17:09
I found out how to download the maps on AllTrails, but I believe you are limited to their maps. If you want to go beyond them, then you need to get another program. Alltrails does allow for tracks, but again it is limited. Going to check out Wednesday though. Otherwise I'll get either Gaia or Backcountry.

@TX Aggie. Yep I'm going to get a battery charger. iPhones don't really allow an easy battery change. Too bad. But too late as I drank the Kool Ade long ago. :)

JJ505
11-13-2017, 17:10
Damn didn't mean to do this. sorry. I don't know how to delete a post.

TX Aggie
11-15-2017, 00:04

I ended up getting the Anker Power Core 13000. It’s not that much heavier than the 10000,but has two ports just in case (I also charge my Apple Watch at night) I recently went on a 3 day hike and even with tracking full time on my phone, I was able to charge my phone roughly 3 Times, watch twice, and my daughter’s as well and still had half a charge on the Anker.

Tennessee Viking
11-15-2017, 10:49
I use Ramblr for tracking my hikes and trail maintenance documentation. US Topo Maps (Free) as my backup.

Hiking Project and Avena as my offline map references.

JJ505
11-15-2017, 19:31
I used AllTrails today and was able to use offline. Seems limited, but for now is useful. Also helps you find the trailhead, which can be VERY useful.

Tennesse Viking, really like Hiking Project, but have more used this to plan hikes.

rocketsocks
11-15-2017, 19:33
I found all trails very buggy, though it’s been a few years, perhaps I’ll give it another shot.

JJ505
11-15-2017, 23:01
I found all trails very buggy, though it’s been a few years, perhaps I’ll give it another shot.

Well so far so good. But my observation, for whatever it's worth, is that it is limited. Useful for finding trails to hike on. I think I'd like to look into Gaia or Backcountry, because All Trails doesn't really teach me any new skills.

TX Aggie
11-15-2017, 23:08
I’ve found I can’t just rely on one app. I use all trails and Hiking Project to find trails, Maps3D to do a rough draft of my route, and View Ranger or Gaia for my final route and tracking. Although I must admit the latest updates of Gaia have remedied many of the previous issues I’ve had with it. The nice thing about using my phone is I CAN switch between apps. With a dedicated unit, you’re stuck.

JJ505
11-16-2017, 13:35
Sounds like you are a MUCH more serious hiker than I am TX Aggie. If I get that good... But I do want to learn something for all this.

Gabigabs
03-27-2018, 23:11
We use Gaia GPS and it works really well. It's available for both Android and iPhone operating systems. If you are thinking about hiking one of the long-distance trails in US, Guthooks have really great apps that are made specifically for these trails and allow user input so you get a quite up to date information about conditions ahead of you.