PDA

View Full Version : Camping spots after Big FroG?

Dlangster
11-10-2017, 22:09
Thinking of hiking from Watson gap to Thunder Rock campground. The BMT guide shows camping areas on top of Big Frog but none after that all the way to Thunder Rock. Anyone know if there are good, reliable sites after Big Frog?

TNhiker
11-10-2017, 22:21
I don't have my map in front of me---so going on memory of a few years ago...

theres one about mid way down from big frog---it's on a ridge and while I didn't look that hard--I didn't see a water source...

then furthur down---there's a couple of nice ones near the pond I believe...

this is all before it crosses the dirt road....

id imagine tipi will chime in--he knows that area pretty well....

Tipi Walter
11-10-2017, 23:58
I just finished two long trips in the Frog and have all the campsites stored in my memory stick-brain when heading north to Thunder Rock from the mountaintop.

First off, when you leave the Frog and go north a quarter mile there's a fantastic spot on the right.

Then once you get on the Fork Ridge section there's a decent campsite where the Big Frog Trail jcts Fork Ridge, up on the ridge on the right.

And if you go down Fork Ridge halfway there's a decent tentsite on the right (and a water spring down to the left if you know where to look).

Once you take Rough Creek (West Fork) trail down to the creek, after the first crossing there's a campsite by the dual trailposts.

After two more crossings (3 total) of West Fork there's a great campsite by the creek on the far right.

Keep going north on the BMT you'll reach a "bicycle grave" with a creek and there's a good tentsite before reaching the grave cross.

And if you're crazy and want to camp next to Ocoee River there's a footbridge and room for some tents just before entering Thunder Rock campground. But who could ever camp there with all the truck noise and traffic on Hiway 64?????

Dlangster
11-14-2017, 19:45
Awesome info, Thanks! Im looking at camping on Big Frog the first night then Hiking about 7-8 miles and camping the 2nd night. Are the spots you mentioned in that range? Also, either of you hiked secttions 4 & 5 ? Curious about the 4 mile road walk. Do you know if its asphalt or is it dirt roads. Thinking of doing those sections next, but kinda discouraged about hiking 4 miles of asphalt. Thanks again for the info.

Dlangster
11-14-2017, 21:51
Thanks for the info!

Tipi Walter
11-14-2017, 21:55
Awesome info, Thanks! Im looking at camping on Big Frog the first night then Hiking about 7-8 miles and camping the 2nd night. Are the spots you mentioned in that range? Also, either of you hiked secttions 4 & 5 ? Curious about the 4 mile road walk. Do you know if its asphalt or is it dirt roads. Thinking of doing those sections next, but kinda discouraged about hiking 4 miles of asphalt. Thanks again for the info.

The bicycle grave is about 7 miles from Frog Mt---then again there are stealth camps just south of Thunder Rock if you don't mind camping next to highway 64, a major noise corridor.

I don't know about sections 4 or 5 as I haven't backpacked further south on the BMT than the northern terminus of the Pinhoti where it jcts the BMT.

Dlangster
11-14-2017, 22:00
Bicycle grave sounds awesome, Thanks!

Tipi Walter
11-14-2017, 22:42
Once you reach the "gravesite" there's a creek nearby and if you go back the way you came you'll find some flat spots next to the trail. I camped there once when I wanted to be close to Thunder Rock for my ride out.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-Big-Frog-Cohutta/i-GtpxpRg/0/eecbf812/L/TRIP%20122%20299-L.jpg
Here's the bike grave on the BMT.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/18-Days-in-the-Cohutta/i-mSqmSbx/0/09895667/L/TRIP%20142%20621-L.jpg
Here's the campsite I carved out near the bike grave.