PDA

View Full Version : Does the fly creek get down to around $250 at the rnd of every year?

Ethesis
11-11-2017, 21:47
https://www.backcountryedge.com/big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-ul-2-17.html

was curious. My wife suddenly started looking at this tent.

I’m thinking it is smaller than what we have and not that much lighter.

But wondering about the price.

Crossup
11-11-2017, 22:37
What if I told you $227?
https://www.steepandcheap.com/big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-ul-tent-2-person-3-season?skid=BAG009M-ASH-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIENhdDozLVNlYXNvbiBUZW50czoxOjM6c2FjQ2F0NzE xMDAwNDE=

Ethesis
11-12-2017, 00:09
What if I told you $227?
https://www.steepandcheap.com/big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-ul-tent-2-person-3-season?skid=BAG009M-ASH-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIENhdDozLVNlYXNvbiBUZW50czoxOjM6c2FjQ2F0NzE xMDAwNDE=

Will it be there again next year?

Crossup
11-12-2017, 10:25
I haven't been around that long, but I've seen mention of that being the case. That said, why would you wait? In the realm of UL backpacking thats insignificant money. Sooner of later they will change the tent or replace it and then you're looking at twice the price. As the saying goes, lightweight, durable, cheap...pick any two, but on sale sometimes you can get all three. All I can say is I bought one from Steepncheap for next year after spending full price for a UL3 a couple years ago and feeling lucky to get $.40 on the dollar selling it in like new condition. So buying one at half price means my loss on resale will be smaller, hopefully a lot smaller.

AllDownhillFromHere
11-12-2017, 12:28
I haven't been around that long, but I've seen mention of that being the case. That said, why would you wait? In the realm of UL backpacking thats insignificant money.

$250 is a lot of money to many people.

Crossup
11-12-2017, 16:31
I think you're being a little argumentative, if $250 constitutes a lot of money to someone then they are not in a position to risk missing real sale prices. Obviously if you just dont have the money then you're out of options. Rather than say $250 is a lot of money I would say a lot of money is what one spends on UL backpacking/hiking and given that, one should not spend a lot of money just on your tent.
No need to whip out the rich snob defense, I'm retired living on SS, and when I needed money for hobbies I've worked as many as 4 jobs at once.

PGH1NC
11-12-2017, 17:13
I was able to get a Fly Creek 2P HV for $150 at an REI garage sale last Jan. Only a slightly misaligned zipper was at fault.
(It worked well, though I would prefer a side entry.)

Elaikases
11-12-2017, 19:04
I was able to get a Fly Creek 2P HV for $150 at an REI garage sale last Jan. Only a slightly misaligned zipper was at fault.
(It worked well, though I would prefer a side entry.)

I looked, but they only had UL1s at our garage sale. Funny thing was I was in line to check out and the guy who returned it and the new buyer for the same tent were next to me. It was a good decision for both of them.

I'm going to head over to REI myself tomorrow and check them out, then probably buy one from the other source (that is a huge price difference) if the wife likes it. She likes our current tent, a lot, but as a tent that ventilates very well, while she likes the space (we have an UL3 tent) she wants something warmer for the non-summer months.

Huntmog
11-12-2017, 20:49
I got a new with tags one on Craigslist last winter for 150... lots of folks end up not liking the design after buying

PGH1NC
11-12-2017, 20:55
Two people and two packs in the HV UL2 will be very cozy in the "non-summer months"

Crossup
11-12-2017, 22:33
Everyone has their own criteria and it seems the BA FC HV UL2 is one of those tents that really brings out those different needs. I found reviews praising the HV vs the previous version and those saying theres no real improvement. One thing I'd encourage anyone wanting to use a two man tent for two people is consider a tent with dual doors, it makes using what space you do have a lot easier. I personnally bought it for solo only use as I can't see two fitting without having your bag touch the bathtub walls, which is a good way to get your bag wet.

HooKooDooKu
11-12-2017, 22:38
But wondering about the price.
35% Discount is pretty common for Big Agnes tents at some point during the end of the season as everyone gets ready for next year... and even more if models are changing.

Elaikases
11-13-2017, 20:47
35% Discount is pretty common for Big Agnes tents at some point during the end of the season as everyone gets ready for next year... and even more if models are changing.

everyone has their own criteria and it seems the BA FC HV UL2 is one of those tents that really brings out those different needs. I found reviews praising the HV vs the previous version and those saying there is no real improvement. One thing I'd encourage anyone wanting to use a two man tent for two people is consider a tent with dual doors, it makes using what space you do have a lot easier. I personally bought it for solo only use as I can't see two fitting without having your bag touch the bathtub walls, which is a good way to get your bag wet.

That was what I was interested in discovering, looking at this thread.

Can get it for $227 this year. Compared to list price at 389.95

So 35-40% off. Probably will come up again next year, or close enough. For me that is a reason not to worry and to wait -- and to look at other tents as well.

For me, we have a UL3 tent (different brand) that works great in warm weather, just looking for something for cold weather that holds in a little heat/keeps out the breezes. I never thought I would complain about something venting "too well" before. Now that is an issue.

Personally I prefer double entrance tents, wife doesn't. I'll admit the single entrance tents are lighter.

Appreciate the input and the comments.

Bearleg
11-16-2017, 10:32
Crossup, thanks for the heads up, pulled the trigger on the deal yesterday, have been keeping an eye on this tent. Thanks, Happy Trails

Which Way
11-16-2017, 13:27
I think you're being a little argumentative, if $250 constitutes a lot of money to someone then they are not in a position to risk missing real sale prices. Obviously if you just dont have the money then you're out of options. Rather than say $250 is a lot of money I would say a lot of money is what one spends on UL backpacking/hiking and given that, one should not spend a lot of money just on your tent.
No need to whip out the rich snob defense, I'm retired living on SS, and when I needed money for hobbies I've worked as many as 4 jobs at once.

Touche!!!!!

Rex Clifton
11-16-2017, 20:51
I was tooling around this morning and saw the hv three person fly creek on steep and cheap for $257 shipped. Can't believe it was that low for a current model. Went back a few hours later and it was gone, cheapest price was $299 on backcountry edge.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk