PDA

View Full Version : All-in-one tent

Vashta
11-12-2017, 01:39
Just happened across this today and was wondering what you all think about it.... Intriguing... http://shop.polarmond.ch/eu_de/expedition/all-in-one-zelt.html (Hope you speak German or your browser translates for you) :)

Feral Bill
11-12-2017, 02:08
$2000 and 12+ pounds? No thanks.

jjozgrunt
11-12-2017, 05:59
What a joke obviously not made for backpacking with that weight. And who has a spare us$2000+ to spend.

Leo L.
11-12-2017, 08:20
Very interesting concept.
You may put price and weight into relation, as it serves as shelter, sleepingbag and -pad, all in one.
Still expensive and heavy, but not much worse than the three items together.
Its definitely not designed for long distance hiking.
But there are so much more outdoor activities, in many of them I could see good use for this.

cmoulder
11-12-2017, 08:44
Wrong forum.

You want the Arctic Explorers website! :rolleyes:

Poke around WB a while to get a bit of context and you will learn that anything over 3 lbs is considered pretty heavy and that there are many tarptent shelters that weigh well under 2 lbs.

AllDownhillFromHere
11-12-2017, 12:30
This is obviously an ad. 3 posts in 2 years?

Vashta
11-12-2017, 14:50
Yeah, I posted mostly because of the concept. I realized that both the weight and price were going to be mitigating factors but if a company here could do something similar for backpackers I think it would be cool. (BTW, not an ad, just more a reader than a poster)

Leo L.
11-12-2017, 15:48
If this really worked as advertised, it might be of reasonable price and weight considering that it covers 3-4 items all together.
Take a good 4-seasons tent, one very good or two medium sleeping pads, and a really warm down bag, and then consider that you would save buying a second, less warm down bag - and you are almost there.

Not for the AT in summer. But I understand that some of you do serious winter hiking and mountaineering as well?

LeLoo&Stitch
11-12-2017, 17:15
I feel like, at that rate, you might as well just roll your tent up with your bag/pad in it.

Elaikases
11-12-2017, 19:01
Very interesting concept.
You may put price and weight into relation, as it serves as shelter, sleepingbag and -pad, all in one.
Still expensive and heavy, but not much worse than the three items together.
Its definitely not designed for long distance hiking.
But there are so much more outdoor activities, in many of them I could see good use for this.

Well, I can get a fly creek UL1 for less than $200 right now, a thermarest vapor pad for $200 and a good quilt for $200.00. $600.00,

Trail Weight
1 lb 11 oz for the tent.
15 oz for the R6 Thermarest
1.5 lb for the quilt.

Four pounds vs. 10 lbs. and a lot less.

Leo L.
11-13-2017, 04:16
And then you may add all you need to cover the temps this all-in-one is designed for (another sleeping bag, a 4-seasons tent, a liner) - and you will end up at a similar price and weight.
OK, what makes a difference is, that the All-in-one is cheaper in the EU and US-made equioment is more expensive here, so from my point of view this system is not so far off, price-wise.

Again, this sure is not designed for an AT long distance hike.

One thing I came up where this system might not work too perfect is, normally in harsh/cold weather I would sit in the tent for many hours just resting, reading, cooking etc., not yet ready to sleep.
This might not work so fine here, as the sleeping pad is inside the sleeping compartment, which in turn is too small/narrow to sit in.
I think the main usage would be expeditions where you have a huge public tent to spend the spare time.

Longboysfan
11-14-2017, 17:44
interesting. Guess it is mostly for snow camping.
I emailed and asked for link to English only site.

Longboysfan
11-15-2017, 17:40
Just happened across this today and was wondering what you all think about it.... Intriguing... http://shop.polarmond.ch/eu_de/expedition/all-in-one-zelt.html (Hope you speak German or your browser translates for you) :)

Got it. I emailed them and they replied.

http://shop.polarmond.ch/usd_en/expedition-30-c/all-in-one-zelt.html

JJ505
11-15-2017, 20:02
-30 C=-22 F . This is more expedition type stuff.

Venchka
11-15-2017, 23:19
-30 C=-22 F . This is more expedition type stuff.
Duh. It was there all the time.
Synthetic insulation. Why? A WM Puma, -25 F, would be superior.
Shelter materials in line with Hilleberg specs. Big Agnes UL need not apply.
When you dig into the nuts and bolts the weight and price isn’t too far out of line.
Wayne

Leo L.
11-16-2017, 03:43
According to their website:
"Their original aim was to help refugees and the homeless, by designing shelters to protect them from cold or freezing to death"

Usually, Swiss people do it perfectly right, as soon as they decide to do something.
And instead of a cheap? shelter for homeless, a perfect solution for expeditions came out.

JJ505
11-16-2017, 21:59
According to their website:
"Their original aim was to help refugees and the homeless, by designing shelters to protect them from cold or freezing to death"

Usually, Swiss people do it perfectly right, as soon as they decide to do something.
And instead of a cheap? shelter for homeless, a perfect solution for expeditions came out.

I agree.
Seems like an expensive solution for that problem. Let's even say its an emergency situation where you have a natural disaster in the Himalayans. You'd have to air drop thousands of these.

Feral Bill
11-17-2017, 13:30
I agree.
Seems like an expensive solution for that problem. Let's even say its an emergency situation where you have a natural disaster in the Himalayans. You'd have to air drop thousands of these.

For a major natural disaster, people need blankets hay tarps, and line. They can figure it out from there. Cheap, too.