PDA

View Full Version : Missed My Window

Martzy13
11-12-2017, 12:44
I had been eyeing the "old" version of the Mt. Hardware Ghost Whisperer on their website for a while now, since the new one came out they cut the price of the outdated model by almost half. Sadly, all good things come to an end and I think I have missed my chance to snag this item on the cheap. My question (that the MTH gentleman I talked to on the phone didn't seem to know) is do they put out an updated version every year? Can I possibly expect this same discount window about this time next year, or is it hit or miss?

ocourse
11-12-2017, 13:52
I had been eyeing the "old" version of the Mt. Hardware Ghost Whisperer on their website for a while now, since the new one came out they cut the price of the outdated model by almost half. Sadly, all good things come to an end and I think I have missed my chance to snag this item on the cheap. My question (that the MTH gentleman I talked to on the phone didn't seem to know) is do they put out an updated version every year? Can I possibly expect this same discount window about this time next year, or is it hit or miss?Can't answer, but check Seirra Trading Post if you happen to wear XL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KCNC
11-12-2017, 14:16
I had been eyeing the "old" version of the Mt. Hardware Ghost Whisperer on their website for a while now, since the new one came out they cut the price of the outdated model by almost half. Sadly, all good things come to an end and I think I have missed my chance to snag this item on the cheap. My question (that the MTH gentleman I talked to on the phone didn't seem to know) is do they put out an updated version every year? Can I possibly expect this same discount window about this time next year, or is it hit or miss?

I picked up one on Sierra Trading a few weeks ago for $149

egilbe
11-12-2017, 15:55
Whats so special about a brand-named down jacket? Just about any down jacket with comparable fill will function the same way.

JC13
11-12-2017, 15:58
Whats so special about a brand-named down jacket? Just about any down jacket with comparable fill will function the same way.People buy it because it weighs 7-8oz.

KCNC
11-12-2017, 16:18
People buy it because it weighs 7-8oz.

^^^This.

And other backpackers have expressed satisfaction with its performance. It took me the better part of 50 years, but I finally figured out how to learn from the mistakes of others. :)

Berserker
11-13-2017, 11:07
Whats so special about a brand-named down jacket? Just about any down jacket with comparable fill will function the same way.
I am also curious as there are many other companies that make a similar product at a similar weight such as Mont-Bell (disclaimer: I have one of their down jackets).

JC13
11-13-2017, 11:15
I am also curious as there are many other companies that make a similar product at a similar weight such as Mont-Bell (disclaimer: I have one of their down jackets).Mont-Bell is brand name to those in the know IMO. I was considering the EX Light Down Anorak as it is lighter and cheaper than the Ghost Whisperer. That was until I found a synthetic jacket that was 8 oz in a large and for me does the job. I can hike in it if required since it is synthetic which is a benefit over down in the East at least. If we ever start hiking the PCT,CT or CDT; I will most likely pickup the EX.

The fill being the same is fine, where the GW and the Mont-Bell gain their savings is the shell material. So for people that are harder on gear, the MB/GW probably won't last.

As usual; HYOH, SYOM, YMWV, etc.

Old Curmudgeon
11-13-2017, 11:22
You can still find last year's Ghost Whisperer jacket on ebay for $140 to $145. Perhaps you can find your size and color preference. Good luck. As for durability, I have the Marmot Quasar, which I believe has comparable shell material. I tend to be careful with gear, but I have used that jacket since 2013, including winter backpacking and camping, with no issues.

Sarcasm the elf
11-13-2017, 13:10

People buy it because it weighs 7-8oz.
The Ghost whisper was on sale for as low as $120 shipped, which is what made it special (I picked one up myself).
As far as Brand name, I have a similar style down coat from Lands End that I bought when I wqs trying to be cheap. It turned out to be mediocre quality with low quality down and wasn't particularly warm. The Ghost Whisperer (and likely it's comparable competitors) is lighter, warmer, and uses more down of higher quality.

Elaikases
11-13-2017, 20:32
The Ghost whisper was on sale for as low as $120 shipped, which is what made it special (I picked one up myself).
As far as Brand name, I have a similar style down coat from Lands End that I bought when I wqs trying to be cheap. It turned out to be mediocre quality with low quality down and wasn't particularly warm. The Ghost Whisperer (and likely it's comparable competitors) is lighter, warmer, and uses more down of higher quality.

Nicely said.

Elaikases
11-13-2017, 20:34
Still out there in XL and 2XL

https://www.6pm.com/p/mountain-hardwear-ghost-whispererr-jacket-black/product/8328460/color/3?zhlfid=139&kpid=32307152&gclid=CjwKCAiAoqXQBRA8EiwAIIOWsi4n8e8ZKt-I_rk5Pof1LfITpvFZYifVz5XbzsreAkuQji2JdfwpRxoCW4oQA vD_BwE

Elaikases
11-13-2017, 20:39
850-fill Q.Shield™ goose down insulation stays in place thanks to the low-profile quilted construction.

Compare to https://www.rei.com/product/109400/rei-co-op-magma-850-down-jacket-mens -- same sort of thing, same price right now.

https://www.rei.com/product/878092/rei-co-op-down-jacket-mens Standard REI jacket is 650 fill

Interesting to compare the weight, reputation and price of the various down jackets.