PDA

View Full Version : Favorite FBC recipe

jackwagon
11-13-2017, 21:20
I've seen recipes here and there, and looked at websites with lots of recipes, but nothing beats finding out what other people have found to be good and work well for them.

I'm mostly interested in recipes that can be made from ingredients found at regular grocery stores. If your recipe requires a more esoteric ingredient, please provide a good source. Items that require dehydrating at home are fine, but please specify that if it's required.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

hikermiker
11-14-2017, 09:23
One carbohydrate, one protein, some freeze dried vegetables, add some olive oil. Carbs: Instant potatoes, instant rice, Ramen noodles, cous cous. Protein: Jerky, dry sausage, packet tuna, chicken or spam. Mix & match. Heat the water, add carbs & vegies to FB, when rehydrated add protein & oil. This can also be done cookless with longer rehydration times.

mister krabs
11-15-2017, 21:39
These are my favorites from the grocery aisle, mostly full of sodium, but delicious:
Stuffing mix, foil pack chicken and dried cranberries, maybe some packet gravy.
CousCous, raisins, dried milk, cinnamon and sugar.
Instant Mashed Potatoes, knorr veggies (http://www.knorr.com/us/en/products/recipe-mixes/vegetable.html) and jerky or chicken.
Ramen noodles, knorr veggies and chicken.
Zatarains instant jambalaya with sausage and chicken and hot sauce.

Greenlight
11-15-2017, 23:08
A couple of good finds I've come across are some of the Bear Creek or similar powdered soup mixes that have easily rehydrated veggies in them. Look for the ones with the shortest cook time, or you'll get a mouth full of crunchies every bite. I add a protein into it, and some oil for more calories.

Instant hash browned potatoes are great for breakfast, and with some fuel systems, you can actually get a brown on them with a little bit of vegetable oil. Make sure you don't burn them to the bottom of the pan or cup, however.

swisscross
11-15-2017, 23:27
My staples are...
Chili Mac with large elbows
Beef stroganoff with egg noodles
Spaghetti meat sauce with large elbows and green olives
Risotto with shrimp and mushrooms add parm at the end.
Stuffing, mashed taters, craisons, chicken pouch and gravy
Lintel chili and brown rice
Red beans and rice..add summer sausage

All dehydrated at home. Cook with no fat as they last longer. Keep in freezer until trip.
I typically go nuts for a few weekends and have food for a while. I dehydrate ingredients separately.

Homemade mash potatoes are a pain.
Pertridge farm stuffing is better than most.
Chicken does not rehydrate well.

saltysack
11-16-2017, 12:17
Look at skurkas recipes on YouTube...rice and beans and peanut ramen is yummy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mister krabs
11-16-2017, 19:24
My staples are...
Risotto with shrimp and mushrooms add parm at the end.

Good sir, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

How exactly do you do cook and dehydrate risotto?