PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Thru Hike Starting Date

BudzoB
11-14-2017, 11:24
I've thru-hiked from the south but plan to do a SOBO in 2018. When is the earliest start date, taking into consideration black flies and Baxter SP opening date?

Slo-go'en
11-14-2017, 11:46
August 1st.

Seriously, Baxter is closed for mud season, which lasts until late May. Exactly when the park opens for the season varies from year to year depending on the winter/spring we have. The rule of thumb is not to start until at least June 1st. But if you want to avoid the spring rains, the flies, the mud and high water, your best waiting until late June or early July.

greensleep
11-14-2017, 12:42
I've thru-hiked from the south but plan to do a SOBO in 2018. When is the earliest start date, taking into consideration black flies and Baxter SP opening date?

I recommend late June or no earlier than early June due to high river levels(snow runoff), black flies, and mosquitos. I was there last June 29 and the bugs were minimal and the waterways were safely fordable.

Scrum
11-14-2017, 14:03
If you want to avoid most of the black flies, wait until July.

peakbagger
11-15-2017, 08:00
Mid June at the earliest July 1st will usually miss the peak of the black flies.

Wolfclan
12-24-2017, 07:17
I started June 22 a few years back and that was early. I made it but the lakes were still over their banks and at one point I lost the trail at a lake shore, I looked out at a rock sticking out of the water and couldn't believe it had a white blaze on it. I also had to wear my rain gear while hiking the first 3 days, just to keep the bugs off. One girl had to go to the hospital, she had so many black fly bites. Starting at the beginning of July will help a little, but you better plan for the bugs.