PDA

View Full Version : Later NOBO Start Date to Avoid Overcrowding

sadlowskiadam
11-14-2017, 14:35
In 2013, I started my NOBO thru hike on April 28 because of work . There definitely were benefits to starting later, including missing most of the severe cold weather, overcrowding at shelters and hostels, and more daylight to hike. However, I missed out on a lot of the social aspect of thru hiking until I was able to catch up with the back end of the bubble in the middle of Virginia. When I thru hike again, I would try starting a bit earlier in April. My goal is to avoid the severe cold weather in February, March, and early April, but still more of the social aspect of the trail.

With all this being said, how crowded is the trail for people starting around April 15 or so? Are there still overcrowding issues at shelters and hostels, or has most of the bubble already started by this point? Any thoughts, experiences, or insights into starting around April 15 or so would be appreciated. Thanks!

Which Way
11-14-2017, 15:22
Good question. My wife and I are starting on this date and I am interested in this as well.

map man
11-14-2017, 17:36
This ATC set of 2017 charts should give you an idea of how many folks intended to start around April 15 this year compared to other dates. The 4th and 5th graphs show NOBOs starting from either Springer or Amicalola. Here is the link:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration/2016-thru-hiker-registration-charts

ATC believes that only around 80% of NOBOs who started registered their intent with ATC, so keep that in mind. Looks like 42 registered to start on April 15, so figure around 50 actually did so. Plenty of opportunities to socialize with those kinds of numbers.

If you are concerned that's too high, then avoid dates like the 1st or 15th of the month, and avoid starting on weekends as well. Since your thru hike in 2013 the numbers have been increasing some each year, so you might find if you start the fourth week of April again you will have more company in early days compared to 2013.

Slo-go'en
11-14-2017, 18:38
I was on Springer April 28th this year and hiked GA. It was still really busy, but not crazy busy. Busy enough that hostels still filled up by noon on a rainy day, shelters were full and good tent sites could be scarce. I was there during a bit of a rainy spell, so the shelters were definitely a highly prized score.

April 15th is a traditional start day. It sets you up for minimal rain and cold and maximum wild flowers. Because of this, the 15th +/- a few days is one of the peak days. I imagine it's a sight to behold, especially for a former thru hiker.

If 2018 numbers are anything like 2017, I'd guess pretty much any day in April will have a decent sized crowd starting. Your not likely to be lonely.

Starchild
11-14-2017, 18:45
I was in the bubble in 2013, what I heard as the last great year of the AT thru hike, but yes things were crowded but never was that I issue. There were a few times I couldn't get my choice accommodations but never was left out in the cold. Shelters were full often but could always could find a spot if I wanted it, however tenting is better.

soilman
11-15-2017, 12:42
I was in the bubble in 2013, what I heard as the last great year of the AT thru hike...

I beg to differ. I heard 1970 was the last great year. Only 10 reported completions, including Ed Garvey. I think we should stop referring to the crowds as a "bubble". I think it is more like a belch. One long, loud belch. I don't think it matters much any more when you start. There are always people out there. I hiked a section around Hot Springs a couple of years ago the last week of May and every day ran into 5-6 people attempting a thru. I have run into NOBO's in the Grayson Highlands in June.

blw2
11-15-2017, 17:34
off topic I suppose, but I have been contemplating doing a 1 week section starting at amicallola or springer, either "spring break" or sometime in summer, perhaps June

Thank you Map Man for those graph links. I think spring break is out of the question. No sense in adding to that.

I know those graphs only show intended throughs..... and that through hikers wouldn't typically start in June/July, but I'm wondering roughly how many hikers would one expect, say in some random time in June in that first part of Georgia? I'd assume most all of us to be day or section hikers at that point

Lauriep
11-15-2017, 21:27
Awesome to see discussion of hiking outside the popular start dates.

If you're contemplating a late nobo start and you don't want the pressure of getting to Katahdin on time or before cold weather, an often overlooked option to keep in mind is a "leapfrog" thru-hike. After hiking the southern third or half, jump over the hot and humid low elevations of summer in the mid-Atlantic and head up to Massachusetts or Vermont (or somewhere else depending on the timing). That way you'll continue to build your trail legs gradually so you're fully ready for the climbing, ruggedness, and remoteness of New Hampshire, Maine, and Katahdin. Then hike south with fall colors in the Mid-Atlantic.

Thru-hiker registrations by day for 2018 can be viewed this year at www.atcamp.org (http://www.atcamp.org) (a new system for the voluntary registration system). Although the site has been available for a while, it hasn't actively been promoted yet, so this early there aren't a lot of people registered. I understand charts will be generated a little later this year.

Of course, another thru-hike approach is to start mid-Trail and hike north. If you haven't seen the Mona Lisa Flip Flop (http://atctrailstore.org/blog/mona-lisa-flip-flop/) blog post, check it out.

April 15 is on the early side to start from Harpers Ferry (it can be lonely), but it's a pretty good time to start from Rockfish Gap at the south end of Shenandoah National Park. It can still be chilly, but chances of seeing snow, more than flurries, are relatively low. Many of the services in the park are open by then. You could start further south and see more nobos (who will fly past, but at least the provide company, and some will provide helpful tips), but resupply in much of central and southwest Virginia can be more challenging than further south or in the Mid-Atlantic. Pearisburg, VA north to Catawba/Daleville (Roanoke) area is one of the leanest areas for resupply on the whole Trail.

Choosing to hike outside the bubble, if that appeals to you, can have a lot of benefits for the Trail. It helps not only reduce crowding for others, it minimizes campsite expansion, makes work for volunteers more manageable, and helps give hiker-friendly businesses a longer season instead of being overwhelmed for a shorter period of time.

More info about these alternative options can be found here (http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative).

Shrewd
11-16-2017, 11:01
I started on March 12th this year and there were plenty of people to talk to.

You’re going to meet a lot of people whenever you start, I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadRunnerTX
01-19-2018, 22:11
Awesome to see discussion of hiking outside the popular start dates.

If you're contemplating a late nobo start and you don't want the pressure of getting to Katahdin on time or before cold weather, an often overlooked option to keep in mind is a "leapfrog" thru-hike. After hiking the southern third or half, jump over the hot and humid low elevations of summer in the mid-Atlantic and head up to Massachusetts or Vermont (or somewhere else depending on the timing). That way you'll continue to build your trail legs gradually so you're fully ready for the climbing, ruggedness, and remoteness of New Hampshire, Maine, and Katahdin. Then hike south with fall colors in the Mid-Atlantic.

Thru-hiker registrations by day for 2018 can be viewed this year at www.atcamp.org (http://www.atcamp.org) (a new system for the voluntary registration system). Although the site has been available for a while, it hasn't actively been promoted yet, so this early there aren't a lot of people registered. I understand charts will be generated a little later this year.

Of course, another thru-hike approach is to start mid-Trail and hike north. If you haven't seen the Mona Lisa Flip Flop (http://atctrailstore.org/blog/mona-lisa-flip-flop/) blog post, check it out.

April 15 is on the early side to start from Harpers Ferry (it can be lonely), but it's a pretty good time to start from Rockfish Gap at the south end of Shenandoah National Park. It can still be chilly, but chances of seeing snow, more than flurries, are relatively low. Many of the services in the park are open by then. You could start further south and see more nobos (who will fly past, but at least the provide company, and some will provide helpful tips), but resupply in much of central and southwest Virginia can be more challenging than further south or in the Mid-Atlantic. Pearisburg, VA north to Catawba/Daleville (Roanoke) area is one of the leanest areas for resupply on the whole Trail.

Choosing to hike outside the bubble, if that appeals to you, can have a lot of benefits for the Trail. It helps not only reduce crowding for others, it minimizes campsite expansion, makes work for volunteers more manageable, and helps give hiker-friendly businesses a longer season instead of being overwhelmed for a shorter period of time.

More info about these alternative options can be found here (http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative).

Great information. Thanks for sharing!

sadlowskiadam
01-26-2018, 15:51
Thanks for all the responses. The information and insights are very helpful.