PDA

View Full Version : Going thru PA

tawa
11-14-2017, 21:34
Interested in hearing how you prepared for going thru PA.
Which towns/hostels would you hit and which ones would you stay on the trail instead of going into town.
On resupply ---your thoughts on getting my food etc in trail towns or sending boxes to Post Offices or hostels?

Looks like there are plenty of nice shelters throughout the trail in PA.
Would hope to not have to carry more than 5 days of food at anytime in going through this state.

Any other thoughts on how you would tackle this state?

tdoczi
11-14-2017, 23:33
Which towns/hostels would you hit and which ones would you stay on the trail instead of going into town.
On resupply ---your thoughts on getting my food etc in trail towns or sending boxes to Post Offices or hostels?

Looks like there are plenty of nice shelters throughout the trail in PA.
Would hope to not have to carry more than 5 days of food at anytime in going through this state.

Any other thoughts on how you would tackle this state?

i only backpacked the southern half and day hiked the northern half as it is close to home for me.

going south to north i did pen mar to caledonia state park, to pine grove furnace state park, to boiling springs. theres resupply at each of those stops and at a point or two in between. you can practically not carry hardly any food.

between boiling springs in duncannon is where i ended a trip, but if i were going in one haul i'd try to push from boiling springs to duncannon in one go.

north of duncannon is where you wont hit anything for at least a few days until you get to port clinton, where there isnt much of anything without going aways off trail anyway.

at swatara gap there is a trail into lickdale, i think its a couple miles each way off the trail. thats maybe the best bet between duncannon and port clinton.

how i would backpack north of port clinton i'm hazy on but i cant imagine ever going more than 2 days, 3 at most without coming upon an easy resupply. palmerton and then wind gap and then youre done.

Slo-go'en
11-15-2017, 00:30
I did this trip last spring, which ended in Vermont.

From PenMar, Duncannon was my first off trail stop - 86 miles. I resupplied snacks and had a meal at Pine Grove Furnace and Boiling Springs as I passed through. Boiling Springs only has a gas station convenience store for resupply. Sugar and chips mostly. My kind of breakfast and lunch :) You could stop in Boiling Springs, or more likely a motel on the highway a few miles out of town, but a real resupply would take a mail drop. Your only about a day and a half away from Duncannon at that point, so might as well just keep going.

Then it was Duncannon to PA138 and the Rock n' Sole hostel (highly recommended) 52 miles. Took a zero there as it was raining and we had had enough of hiking in the rain the last few days. Ride to store was part of the deal.

Next stop was at Palmerton, 55 miles. Then Palmerton to the DWG 36 miles. Getting food delivered to the 501 shelter was a bust for me. They wanted a $20 min order and everyone else had just gotten a delivery. Poor timing on my part. I did get to eat someone's left overs which I was very grateful for, since I was sorta counting on getting a meal delivered.

Pay attention to the guide book, there are a couple of places to get a meal close to the trail. Almost any road you cross has something a few miles away on it, if you know which way to go.

Gambit McCrae
11-15-2017, 09:11
All good info so far... I will be doing Little Gap, PA to Duncannon July 4th week 115 miles. I am planning on carrying 4 days of food and winging the rest of it.. Only known stopping point I know of so far is at port Clinton I will hang a left and head into Hamburg for a night. There is a hotel 1.5 miles off the trail along with a cabelas, 5 guys hamburger, cracker barrel for breakfast and I may take a zero here if I get there a day early.

SkeeterPee
11-15-2017, 10:28
The gas station is right on trail, but about 1 mile off trail on Forge Rd is a full grocery store Karns. And there is a pizza place on the way. I gave some thru hikers a lift to the store when I arrived for my section.

SkeeterPee
11-15-2017, 10:43
The gas station is right on trail, but about 1 mile off trail on Forge Rd is a full grocery store Karns. And there is a pizza place on the way. I gave some thru hikers a lift to the store when I arrived for my section.

Sorry, that was a reply relating to Boiling Springs.

Gambit McCrae
11-15-2017, 11:31
Sorry, that was a reply relating to Boiling Springs.

Boiling Springs is one of my favorites. The town lake, ATC center, im a big sought so I enjoyed the tavern lol and the pizza was top notch after a 20 mile day. I would have to say that what it is lacking is a good ol fashioned motel. I hobo camped on the south side of town right over the railroad tracks in the pine forest.

Slo-go'en
11-15-2017, 11:47
You really don't want to camp at the "backpackers campsite" next to the RR tracks in Boiling Springs. You'll be up all night as mile long freight trains squeal and rattle past. They start blowing their whistle a couple of mile out of town and at the road crossing 100 yards from the campsite. I tired to sleep there once. About 3 AM I gave up and packed up, along with everyone else there once they heard me moving around, and started hiking again. (that was on my second hike through PA, 10 years earlier).

I didn't know about the grocery store near Boiling Springs, but I really didn't need much there. On last years hike, I did walk a 1/2 mile down the highway to a restaurant though.

There isn't much at Port Clinton other then a candy store and the hotel. You cross a rail trail just before getting to town. Take a left and that gets you most of the way into Hamburg with the shopping center and motels.

SkeeterPee
11-15-2017, 12:36
Boiling Springs is one of my favorites. The town lake, ATC center, im a big sought so I enjoyed the tavern lol and the pizza was top notch after a 20 mile day. I would have to say that what it is lacking is a good ol fashioned motel. I hobo camped on the south side of town right over the railroad tracks in the pine forest.

The Allenberry was hiker friendly at $40 for a night, but I heard that may not be true now with new owners.

BTW across the corner from the Tavern was a great little place for breakfast/lunch. Hope it is still open as it was good food.

Gambit McCrae
11-15-2017, 12:44
Anybody have a solid recommendation for a shuttle from Duncannon to Palmerton?

SkeeterPee
11-15-2017, 13:17

I used the following person from the at shuttle driver list. She was fine, on-time etc. Will to make stops if I needed breakfast or anything. Was about $2 / mile. $60 fro 443 to Port Clinton.

Joyce A. Carlin*
Pine Grove, PA
(570) 345-0474 (tel: 570-345-0474)
(570) 516-3447 (tel: 570-516-3447) (cell)
Commercially insured for your safety. All of PA (MD line to Delaware Water Gap). Please call between 8 am and 10pm unless it is an emergency situation. Pickups earlier than 8 am, please call the night before.

Koozy
11-15-2017, 13:44
Starting from the Mason-Dixon line...(and based on the 2014 mileage)

If you're starting here with a full supply, no need to resupply; otherwise, hitch into Waynesboro for good options, or walk/hitch ~1 mile into Rouzerville to supplement at large convenience stores. I did laundry in this town during my thru hike.

~18.2 miles in you'll pass through Caledonia State Park. Great place for a burger & icecream...and a swim in the pool on a hot day.

~37.3 miles in you'll pass through Pine Furnace Grove State Park. Half Gallon Challenge!! Burgers here hit the spot...even after a half gallon of ice cream. Iron Master's mansion was a good place to stay, but I stealthed within the state park. A few of us caught a ride into Gettysburg for wings and beers.

~57.3 miles in you'll pass through Boiling Springs. Several options for food. I personally went with a pizza. Supplemented my resupply at the gas station in order to make it to Duncannon before a big resupply. A few people I knew stayed at the B&B in town, while others went to the Allenbery Resort (which I heard was worth it). I stealthed on the AT just north of town so that I could walk back into down as my food cravings hit.

~65.3 miles in you'll cross over the Carisle Pike (Route 11) footbridge. Oppotunities here to walk/hitch into town for resupply, lodging, or a hot meal. I had second breakfast at the Middlesex Diner (which had a hiker discount!)

~82.5 miles in you'll cross through Duncannon. STAY AT THE DOYLE! You may hear bad stories about it, but take them with a grain of salt. The place was a hiker haven with decent food and a good selection of cold beers. I caught a ride from the owner of the Doyle to Mutzabaugh's Family Market to supply everything (food, toiletries, first aid, etc.). Laundromat right on the main strip, and a decent restaurant across the street from the Doyle to gorge on a big breakfast before leaving town. I stayed away from The Cabin (good riddance).

~117.6 miles in you'll come to Swatara Gap. I was caught in a heavy hailstorm and hitched into Lickdale (couple miles down the road). Stayed at the Days Inn (great hotel), ate fast food (several chains in the area). Only resupply spot was a gas station unless you plan on packing out fast food.

~128.6 miles in you'll pass the 501 Shelter. Great 4-sided shelter that multiple restaurants will deliver to.

~153.1 miles in you'll come into Port Clinton. Not much in this town other than the Port Clinton Hotel (hiker favorite if you can reserve a spot), and the Fire Department Social Club (they may sell hikers cheap sandwiches, and its a great place to drink some beers and watch sports if you can get signed in). Most people go into Hamburg. Equipment replacement is usually done at Cabellas. Resupply at Walmart. Plenty of restaurants. Most hikers stay at the Microtel Inn or stealth on either side of Port Clinton and just go into Hamburg for the day.

~192.8 miles in you'll cross Lehigh Gap. I was fully resupplied and passed through. Most people went into Palmerton.

~213.4 miles in you'll cross Wind Gap. I hiked a mile into the town of Wind Gap to eat, and ended up tenting for the night behind the Beer Stein. Train horns went off at midnight and I was not pleased.

~229 miles in....Congrats! You made it to the Delaware Water Gap. I stayed at the Church of the Mountain Hostel with about 12-15 other hikers. Slept on the carpeted floor, and they had a shower with towels supplied for hikers. Wasn't a great town for resupply as I remember...few gas stations on the outer edge of town, and a bakery a little closer. I supplied myself here with pastries, a loaf of bread with peanut butter and jam, and a sandwich to go. Once in NY and NY, resupply options were frequent and never much of an logistical issue until the White Mountains.

Berserker
11-15-2017, 16:48
You really don't want to camp at the "backpackers campsite" next to the RR tracks in Boiling Springs. You'll be up all night as mile long freight trains squeal and rattle past. They start blowing their whistle a couple of mile out of town and at the road crossing 100 yards from the campsite. I tired to sleep there once. About 3 AM I gave up and packed up, along with everyone else there once they heard me moving around, and started hiking again. (that was on my second hike through PA, 10 years earlier).
In regards to the campsite near Boiling Springs, this ^

Definitely have a plan to hike through Boiling Springs or to hit up some lodging in the area. I stayed at the campsite not knowing any better, and yeah lots of trains went through. Somehow I managed to get some sleep...not sure how.

Gambit McCrae
11-15-2017, 17:02
In regards to the campsite near Boiling Springs, this ^

Definitely have a plan to hike through Boiling Springs or to hit up some lodging in the area. I stayed at the campsite not knowing any better, and yeah lots of trains went through. Somehow I managed to get some sleep...not sure how.

Earplugs worked just fine for me, was up and on trail about 8 and made it to Duncannon by 6 I do believe

ldsailor
11-22-2017, 14:26

Call Bob at Bert's Restaurant. A good guy and despite the name, a great hostel. The restaurant is pretty good too with very reasonable prices. Bob and Bert's are located in Palmerton. I just went through there less than two months ago, so the contact info should be good.

A word of caution. Primary sleeping arrangements are in the hostel, but overflow goes to a garage with bunks. I stayed in the hostel.

740-808-2006

ldsailor
11-22-2017, 14:45

I did Pennsylvania this past September. I have a blog that covers some of your questions. Some highlights: If you mail supples, Boiling Springs and Port Clinton PO's are right on the trail. If you stay in Palmerton, that PO is a good choice. I stayed at the Day's Inn in Carlisle (good price, excellent restaurant a few steps away), Microtel in Hamburg (they can give you a name for a ride from the trail if you don't want walk it), and Bert's Restaurant (it's also a pretty good hostel). Bob at Bert's can even transport you for a slackpack. He brought me to Wind Gap where I hiked back to Lehigh Gap and Palmerton (20 miles). Just don't get to Lehigh Gap in the dark like I did. You'll understand why when you see it.

I have more info on my blog if you want to wade through it. The address is below in my signature lines. Start in mid-September and to October.

Christoph
11-22-2017, 18:25
Boiling Springs was a really neat town. The little bar/grill right in town has great food. I didn't stay at the Doyle in Duncanon, but had to stop to check it out. After all, it's a trail icon, you have to see it. The food there was actually pretty amazing and the workers/owners were fun to be around. Those were the only 2 towns I spent any time in that I can remember right off the top of my head.

shelb
11-22-2017, 21:33
When I entered PA from the south, I thought everyone had lied. This was not bad! I was actually easy!!! FYI: that changes about 1/2 - 2/3 into PA. Then, expect major rocks - the kind that appear to be actually sharpened to poke into your feet with the intention of causing significant pain! Good luck!

Shrewd
11-28-2017, 15:43
Oh the Doyle.

Totally worth checking out but the place has the feel of decay. I stopped in right as they opened and had a big lunch and a few beers. Some local guys walked in and made a ruckus; the owner told them off. He’s a take now **** kinda guy, I liked him.

Still, it was like 95 degrees and humid and they don’t have AC so I splurged and stayed at a hotel up the road. They picked me and another hiker up and I laid in the AC and drank beer all night.

It was glorious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ki0eh
11-28-2017, 17:56
There isn't much at Port Clinton other then a candy store and the hotel. You cross a rail trail just before getting to town. Take a left and that gets you most of the way into Hamburg with the shopping center and motels.

Northbound, that would be a right turn on the rail trail (before the steep drop to the actual railroad). Hoofing down the rail trail, in 3/4 of a mile you go under an underpass, this is PA Route 61. Although this happens to be right behind Walmart which is up the hill just to the right, going up the visible path is apparently trespassing. You would then go 1.5 miles further to a rail-trail trailhead, then 1.5 miles back uphill on multi-lane roads with few or no sidewalks, to get to Walmart.