PDA

View Full Version : Slack packing...

Longboysfan
11-15-2017, 14:24
All day...

Pack recommends?

Slo-go'en
11-15-2017, 15:05
I don't understand the question. The traditional definition of slack packing is while doing a thru hike and staying at a hostel or motel, getting shuttled up the trail and walking back with a light load. Hostels which promote slack packing generally supply a day pack so you can carry your essentials. Otherwise you just unload most of the stuff in your pack and carry only what you need for the day.

I found a little day pack at Walmart which packs down to the size of a softball and weighs like 4 oz. It's kind of handy to have while in town doing chores or when you have to carry a lot of water back to camp from a distant spring. It's also works for slack packing if you don't need to carry much.

Gambit McCrae
11-15-2017, 16:26
All day...

Pack recommends?

I wasn't a thru hiker but I "slackpacked" from Max Patch all the way to Carvers Gap and used my northface backpack I used during college. Treat it the same as your backpack for normal backpacking...You want something comfortable with the attributes that are important to you. Since you are asking which....Osprey makes some pretty fancy little day hiking packs but are a bit pricey for what you are getting IMHO

moldy
11-15-2017, 17:09
No pack needed. I stuff what I need in my pockets

Longboysfan
11-15-2017, 17:37
No pack needed. I stuff what I need in my pockets

Even your water?

Longboysfan
11-15-2017, 17:38
I don't understand the question. The traditional definition of slack packing is while doing a thru hike and staying at a hostel or motel, getting shuttled up the trail and walking back with a light load. Hostels which promote slack packing generally supply a day pack so you can carry your essentials. Otherwise you just unload most of the stuff in your pack and carry only what you need for the day.

I found a little day pack at Walmart which packs down to the size of a softball and weighs like 4 oz. It's kind of handy to have while in town doing chores or when you have to carry a lot of water back to camp from a distant spring. It's also works for slack packing if you don't need to carry much.

Got it.

Thank you.

moldy
11-16-2017, 13:45
I stuff 2 16 oz soda bottles in my pockets.

JJ505
11-16-2017, 17:13
I have a Bago backpack from Amazon that I got for around $12 (they are a bit more now). It packs into its own pocket. I put it in my luggage for day hikes. I'm not a huge fan as it is so lightweight so that if you put a bottle of water in it, there's nothing supporting it. But it has a nice sketchy pocket to carry a light jacket or rain jacket. Actually, surprisingly roomy. You could probably put a down sleeping bag and tarp in it and supper for one night.

Ethesis
11-16-2017, 19:54
This thread convinced me to buy the AT Slackpacking book.

Coffee
11-16-2017, 19:57
Check this out. Has served me well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZHS6JS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slo-go'en
11-16-2017, 21:35
This thread convinced me to buy the AT Slackpacking book.
You need a lot of money to slack pack the whole AT, but people with means have done it. I guess it's really day packing the whole AT. I meet an older couple last year who were effectively day hiking the AT, staying in Hostels as much as possible. They did not spend a night in the woods.

Elaikases
11-17-2017, 09:14
You need a lot of money to slack pack the whole AT, but people with means have done it. I guess it's really day packing the whole AT. I meet an older couple last year who were effectively day hiking the AT, staying in Hostels as much as possible. They did not spend a night in the woods.

Yeah, they spent 12k on hotels, but they also spent 6-8k on shuttles in the slackpackers guide book.

Ethesis
11-17-2017, 14:35
Quote:

”The cost of shuttles and lodging was $ 20,000 ($ 6,000 and $ 14,000, respectively). Note that this cost does NOT include food or supplies along the way. Plus, the lodging can vary greatly. We preferred staying at B& B’s, then hotels, then hostels. We also favored places that provided laundry service or at least were located near a laundromat. Although hostels are our least favorite places to stay, primarily because you typically sleep in a bunk room and share bathrooms with 8–12 other people. There were a few exceptions, like Woods Hole and Bear’s Den in Virginia, Iron Master’s in Pennsylvania, the Bearded Woods in Connecticut, the Green Mountain in Vermont, the White Mountain in New Hampshire, and The Cabin in Maine.”

JJ505
11-17-2017, 22:32
Well there's Pt Wetzel (don't know his trail name) who double hiked the AT. He slept in his car and never stayed in a tent or shelter. I think he didn't have a huge budget but it did take him 8-10 months.

Longboysfan
11-20-2017, 10:34

Even in the Smokies?

Gailhinsh
11-20-2017, 17:35
I know of two books written on how to slack pack the AT. The Slack Packer’s Guide to Hiking the Appalachian Trail by Vann and Reck is one of the books. The other one is The Don’s Brother Method, How I thru-Hiked the Appalachian Trail and Rarely Slept in the Woods, by Mike Stephens. Both books are available on Amazon. The problem I see in their approach is it costs a lot of money and is a big headache with having to arrange shuttles every morning and evening. This past year I figured out how to slack pack most of the AT using one vehicle and hooking up with one to three people. Everybody gets to hike in the same direction. Because of having the vehicle, the cost is low because every might can be car camping at the trailhead. Food can be bought in bulk as the vehicle serves as a moving storage shed. Equipment can be changed out as the weather changes, etc.
This past year, I day-hiked over 200 miles without needing a shuttle driver using this method with a couple I met on the trail. When others saw what we were doing, several started using this method.
Because of its popularity, I am writing a book entitled, “Smiles not Miles; A Seniors Guide to Enjoying the Appalachian Trail” that explains the logistics. The website is www.smilesnotmiles.com (http://www.smilesnotmiles.com).
In addition to the website telling about the book, I also have a download of my evolving gear list that went from a total pack weight of 29 pounds to 17 pounds. My base weight went from 15 to 7.5 pounds and my day hiking weight was less than 2 pounds.

Slo-go'en
11-20-2017, 18:14
Lets hope self slack packing with a car as mobile base camp doesn't become too popular, as there is limited parking at most of the trail heads.

Emerson Bigills
11-20-2017, 20:37
A couple comments on slack packing from my perspective. I didn't slack pack on my NOBO until I was in Mass. Did a couple times at a hostel that offered the service free with a two night stay. I thought I would go much faster with a daypack vs. full pack, but really only did about .5 mph faster in most cases. I found I was a lot more agile and did not fall or slip as much as I did with a full pack. I also did not feel as exhausted at the end of the day.

Hiked with a couple guys in New England that really fell in love with slack packing. It can get expensive, but usually gives you more nights sleeping inside and more opportunity for town food. The most important point I want to share is to be careful when slack packing. We slack packed out of Bennington, VT one rainy day in temps in the mid-40's. It was a 21 mile section with no bail out roads. Once we got dropped off, it started pouring and rained that way 80% of the day. Wind picked up and the trail was an absolute stream the entire day. We had rain jackets, shorts, a few snacks and not much else. We thought about turning around, but didn't think we could get reception for a shuttle, so we trudged onward, most probably in stage one hypothermia much of the day. We had no equipment to stop and camp, or even bail into a shelter. We had to keep hiking to stay warm and stay alive. We had a very sketchy brook crossing in high water and eventually made it back to Bennington. Worst day of my entire AT hike. Be careful, when you slack pack, you are generally not prepared for conditions to deteriorate very much. We learned a good lesson.