PDA

View Full Version : double pully bear hang

squeezebox
11-16-2017, 20:02
A different kind of hang I heard about.
1) throw the rock bag over the branch as normal.
2) once on the ground remove the rock bag.
3) hook the caribiner into the length of cord.
4) keep the end of the cord on the ground
5) pull the cord up to the branch , so the caribiner is at the branch.
6) so now you have a big loop of cord around the branch to the ground. with a pulley at the branch.
7) hook your food bag with it's carabiner to the bottom of the cord loop.
8) pull up the cord to the branch, tie off the stop stick.
9) release the cord to the stop stick.
so there's a pulley at the branch and 1 at the food bag.
with no wt.pulling across the top of the branch.

You do need 50% more cord.

Feral Bill
11-16-2017, 21:37
Picture? I'm not quite visualizing this.

Kaptainkriz
11-16-2017, 21:50
Look here: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/112951-New-safer-amp-easier-bear-bag-hanging-method

Slo-go'en
11-16-2017, 22:00
Okay, I had to draw a picture. The first picture is what I thought would work.Then I check out the WB thread link and saw I missed passing the rope back through the carabineer at the food bag.

Be careful of pulling on the end of the rope with no food bag attached or you could lasso the branch and get the rope and carabineers forever stuck.

This method would work, tying off to a near-by tree.

A better method by nsherry61 :
toss the line over the tree branch, then first pass it through the carabineer on the food bag, then the one on the end of the line. Bring the carabineer attached to the end of the rope up to the branch, pass the end of the line through the carabineer on the food bag, then pull up the food bag. I should have drawn the arrows on the line in the picture facing the other way to show the direction the line is threaded.

If you want to do the PCT hang, after pulling the food bag up to the branch, tie a stick to the line up as high up as you can reach. That will reduce the amount of height lost by the food bag before the stick catches the carabineer. In any event, you have to get the line up a lot higher using the PCT method then if you just tie off to a near-by tree.

Feral Bill
11-17-2017, 13:26
Clever! Now I just need to find suitable trees, which is often hard in conifer country, especially up high.