PDA

View Full Version : Filter promises to let you drink from almost any water source — even urine

Hatchet_1697
11-16-2017, 22:26
“Even urine” ...guess if you’re really, really, really desperate. (I might be a few really’s short).

https://apple.news/AiczjITy5RtO5jst66-FQcw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

nsherry61
11-16-2017, 23:11
The web pages says “It uses ionic adsorption, combined with an iodinated resin to kill 99.9999 percent of bacteria and viruses,” which is pretty much how it's done for commercial water treatment and the only way I know of to do what it claims.

The following questions remain for me:
1) Since iodine doesn't do much against protozoa, is there a filter of some sort to remove protozoa? Or did they just ignore that?
2) What ion adsorption columns are they using, since you can't just mix it all together as there are several different chemistries needed to remove different metals vs. organic contaminants, vs. salts, etc?
3) And, if the purifier actually manages to include all the resins etc needed to remove all things likely to be of concern in waste-water, can you actually get a decent enough flow through the purifier to make it practical and have enough quantity of the resins, etc. to last long enough to be practical in the size device they show?

4) Finally, since a simple filter is all that is needed for backpacking in North America, in the context of these forums, I don't know if the added cost and performance compromises needed to achieve the extra-pure water they claim would be worth it.

moldy
11-17-2017, 08:14
I put this device as one of those things that work in a lab. In the harsh environment of the trail. This thing won't last long.

Leo L.
11-17-2017, 10:50
If this would make it safe to drink urine - then its contradicting itself, as they say its good for everything but saltwater. The biggest trouble with urine is salt (aside from being disgusting).

rocketsocks
11-17-2017, 11:09
I’m willing to pee, if someone wants to try it.

Hatchet_1697
11-17-2017, 11:24
Nice write-up nsherry61, I agree, in NA it’s overkill. The story had an eye catching tag line though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rain Man
11-17-2017, 13:21
He lost me when he said most water heaters hold a hundred gallons of water. Simply not true.

Also, when he said the thing would filter ONE HUNDRED gallons of water. Sorry, but that's NOTHING.

Finally, I'm cynical when he more or less says the thing INSTANTANEOUSLY kills critters as they pass through.

And radiation? Really?

Actually, now that I think about it, I think he lost me when he drank out of a toilet.

So, count me as "wait and see."

Venchka
11-17-2017, 13:36
I started back in the day. I drank from creeks with my stainless steel Sierra Club cup. Before the internet came along and polluted all of the small creeks.
Now I carry a small filter and use it if it’s convenient and I don’t like the looks of the water.
Wayne