PDA

View Full Version : Aerogel thermal insoles

wordstew
11-17-2017, 14:13
Just curious if anyone has had any experience using Aerogel thermal insoles in cold weather hiking....

SoaknWet
11-17-2017, 16:45
Sorry I haven't but I do use reflective homemade inserts that work.

Feral Bill
11-17-2017, 18:12
Just curious if anyone has had any experience using Aerogel thermal insoles in cold weather hiking.... I have Aerogel insulated boots. They are nowhere near as warm as promised. Steer clear.

wordstew
11-18-2017, 09:12
well then looks like I'm sticking with tried and true wool. However the reflective inserts to sound interesting

JJ505
11-18-2017, 19:36
My understanding re: Aerogel is that it VERY lightweight and that it doesn't reflect heat (used by NASA to protect rocket components for instance). Not sure how this would make it a good boot insulator but would be light anyway.

wordstew
11-19-2017, 10:05
My understanding re: Aerogel is that it VERY lightweight and that it doesn't reflect heat (used by NASA to protect rocket components for instance). Not sure how this would make it a good boot insulator but would be light anyway.

But they appear to be marketing insoles with Aerogel.... I was just curious to see if anyone has tried them to make a comparison.

I probably should have asked what are the lightest warmest insoles that are the most comfortable and least affected by water.

SoaknWet
11-19-2017, 10:31
As I said earlier I've had very good luck with my reflective insoles. It the ground is really cold I just double them and you won't find anything cheaper!

wordstew
11-19-2017, 12:26
You have convinced me... I think I'll give it a try