PDA

View Full Version : Custom or commercial orthotic - to stiffen sole?

AllDownhillFromHere
11-17-2017, 15:09
Are there any commercial orthotics/footbeds (not superfeet) that you can use to stiffen an otherwise floppy shoe? I have a pair of hiking shoes which are comfortable, but I find that the sole is too flexible. Basically I'm looking for the effect of a boot sole with a trail-running upper. Suggestions?

Bati
11-17-2017, 18:00
Instead of a footbed, you can try carbon-fiber inserts and put a footbed over them. However, they probably work better in boots as they are stiff. Available at any good shoe store, and can be a medical expense if prescribed (generally for arthritis).

AllDownhillFromHere
11-17-2017, 18:07
That looks like EXACTLY what I need, thanks!

peakbagger
11-17-2017, 18:45
I use Montrail heat moldable inserts, they have a had plastic partial stiffener.

Bmelee
11-17-2017, 22:58
I use a steel insole sold by The Insole Store. It is marketed as a solution for ‘turf toe,’ whatever that is. I simply use them under my super feet or other aftermarket insoles to stiffen my trail runners.

Venchka
11-18-2017, 22:43
The sub $20 from Walmart Dirt Bag Solution:
DR. SCHOLL’S® ATHLETIC SERIES
RUNNING INSOLES
I use these in my LaSportiva Ultra Raptors for backpacking in Colorado and Wyoming. At the end of the day my feet are pain free. As if I hadn’t been hiking at all.
Wayne

garlic08
11-18-2017, 22:57
The sub $20 from Walmart Dirt Bag Solution:
DR. SCHOLL’S® ATHLETIC SERIES
RUNNING INSOLES
I use these in my LaSportiva Ultra Raptors for backpacking in Colorado and Wyoming. At the end of the day my feet are pain free. As if I hadn’t been hiking at all.
Wayne
I've been getting a little tired of the Superfeet prices. I'll try these. Thanks.

Venchka
11-19-2017, 13:18
You’re welcome. Just don’t weigh them. 😄
Wayne

AllDownhillFromHere
11-19-2017, 14:26
I'm done with the 'deep heel cup' design - all it does is slice into the pad of your heel.