PDA

View Full Version : trails in VA mostly near GWNF on the blue ridge

hoohyde
11-18-2017, 22:32
hey, I'm new to the site and very new to the trails compared to most. I read as many reviews as possible but it would be good to hear of experiences from this board to find some decent trails so i can get my legs and take my dog. I've done so far Cole/Cold mountain 3x, Mt Pleasant 1x, spy rock 3x, 1/2 of devils marbleyard, apple orchard falls 1x, sharpe top 2x, and crabtree falls 1x. I dont have specific questions other than what might be similar or as rewarding as these hikes in the 5-7 mile range and within an hour or two of Lynchburg Appomattox areas. I like to hike out and camp one night due to kids sports and work but would consider traveling further on something similar. The hikingupward reviews are hit an miss on the trails i find. I don't care for crowds but that is sometimes unavoidable. Any input on suggestions or feedback on the trails i've done. I enjoy the planning and preparing just as much as the hike so any discussion would be great.

thanks in advance

chknfngrs
11-19-2017, 08:53
Humpback Rock is a good one

bigcranky
11-19-2017, 09:50
Your post brings back some good memories. We lived in Richmond for about ten years, and we'd go do the Cold Mountain loop or the Mt Pleasant loop. Cold Mountain was our daughter's first overnight backpacking trip when she was 4 years old :) We camped off the trail along the open summit. I also remember hiding behind that big rock on the summit one Mother's Day weekend on a day hike when we got hit with a sleet storm at the top.

+1 Humpback Rocks is another good hike. There is also a loop with the AT and the Mau-Har trail, which runs an alternate route between the Maupin Field Shelter and the Harper's Creek Shelter. That's a really pretty area (near Crabtree Falls), but I don't recall the mileage for the loop.

hoohyde
11-19-2017, 21:58
Humpback Rock is a good one
yes that is one I have been tempted to do. Seems there is no camping on that one and lots of traffic. I might try to get there real early

Your post brings back some good memories. We lived in Richmond for about ten years, and we'd go do the Cold Mountain loop or the Mt Pleasant loop. Cold Mountain was our daughter's first overnight backpacking trip when she was 4 years old :) We camped off the trail along the open summit. I also remember hiding behind that big rock on the summit one Mother's Day weekend on a day hike when we got hit with a sleet storm at the top.

+1 Humpback Rocks is another good hike. There is also a loop with the AT and the Mau-Har trail, which runs an alternate route between the Maupin Field Shelter and the Harper's Creek Shelter. That's a really pretty area (near Crabtree Falls), but I don't recall the mileage for the loop.

What was your preference Cold Mt or MT Pleasant? I'm torn on them- the view at the camp was better for me at mt pleasant but the Cold Mt hiking portion seemed to have better scenery. Cold mt was very kid friendly in my opinion and it was nice to have water where I camped at the shelter. Also is it Cold or Cole Mt ? I cant find the history on that

bigcranky
11-19-2017, 23:06
I've seen both Cold and Cole, I think one of the USFS maps shows it as Cold but somebody told me that was a mistake. So I dunno :)

I honestly can't recall which one I liked better, this would have been 25 years ago. I do remember liking both loops quite a bit.

Also back then there was a good loop at Ramsey's Draft, west of Staunton, but I don't know what kind of shape it's in now. It was pretty rough the last time we did it from a hurricane flooding out the gorge. But again, 25 years is a long time. :)

Furlough
11-20-2017, 07:07
Also back then there was a good loop at Ramsey's Draft, west of Staunton, but I don't know what kind of shape it's in now. It was pretty rough the last time we did it from a hurricane flooding out the gorge. But again, 25 years is a long time. :)
The Ramsey's Draft area is still quite nice. Many stream crossings. It was a haven for some grand old Hemlocks that have died away. But still a good hike.

St Mary's Wilderness is also a good option in/around the area you are talking about.

Furlough

hoohyde
11-22-2017, 00:29
thanks for the feedback

BlackCloud
11-22-2017, 11:49
McAfee's Knob is a little bit of a drive but is what you're looking for.

ki0eh
11-22-2017, 16:46
https://www.hikingupward.com/ has many hikes listed in that area.
Also http://www.midatlantichikes.com/va.htm

chknfngrs
11-22-2017, 20:04
Not sure how far it is but Kennedy Peak and the Massanutten Trail is worth a visit. Trailhead is just west of Luray, VA

hoohyde
11-24-2017, 08:20
not too bad a drive- i've considered this one too. How's the camping?

hoohyde
11-24-2017, 08:21
cool thanks

hoohyde
11-24-2017, 08:22
yeah i stare at hikingupward. hadn't seen midatlantichikes.com I'll check it out. Hikingupward is a great site. Sometimes the reviews kind of scare you off or build you up.

chknfngrs
11-27-2017, 13:48
National forest area. I’ve camped in the observation tower up top of Kennedy Peak, with awesome sunrise views

JPritch
11-27-2017, 15:17
I love the Cold Mountain hike, but that grassy summit bald is full of snakes. I don't think I could bring myself to camp on that bald during the warmer months. And just before the summit on a rocky outcropping, saw a nice long timber rattler. Great hike though, don't get me wrong.

hoohyde
11-27-2017, 23:03
I love the Cold Mountain hike, but that grassy summit bald is full of snakes. I don't think I could bring myself to camp on that bald during the warmer months. And just before the summit on a rocky outcropping, saw a nice long timber rattler. Great hike though, don't get me wrong.

most of my camping has been between late sept to march last few years. I end up on the river camping during hot months

Berserker
11-28-2017, 13:19
Along the AT within 2 hours of Lynchburg are Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob and Dragons Tooth. You can make hikes out of going to check out these features. Also, you can go up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and easily hike along a good portion of the AT straight West of Lynchburg. There's lots of good/easy hiking in Shenandoah NP too.

Even though it's a longer drive I do need to throw out Mt Rogers NRA as you can do an easy overnighter there...if you haven't been there it's definitely worth the extra driving. The hike along the ridge through the balds is one of the best on the AT.

hoohyde
11-29-2017, 01:54
Along the AT within 2 hours of Lynchburg are Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob and Dragons Tooth. You can make hikes out of going to check out these features. Also, you can go up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and easily hike along a good portion of the AT straight West of Lynchburg. There's lots of good/easy hiking in Shenandoah NP too.

Even though it's a longer drive I do need to throw out Mt Rogers NRA as you can do an easy overnighter there...if you haven't been there it's definitely worth the extra driving. The hike along the ridge through the balds is one of the best on the AT.

thanks- Before even posting McAfee Knob, Dragons Tooth, and Humpback Rock were probably my next hiking over night to do's. though I don't think humpback has camping from what I read.