PDA

View Full Version : Joining Two air mattresess with an iron

wordstew
11-19-2017, 12:48
I've seen videos of people cutting down and repairing an air mattress/pad with an iron.
How about joining two pads with an iron? anyone done it.

For example taking two 66" long womens sized thermarest mattresses and using an iron to join them lengthwise for a 66" x 40" mattress that would weigh in around 24 ounces and no need for the extra weight of a Duo Coupler.

You would lose two independent pads in return for a duo mattress with two independent sides, something like the synmat exped duo hl only 6" shorter and less weight.

Tipi Walter
11-19-2017, 13:10
So let's say you're heading out for a 2 week winter trip. You're willing to bet your life on this experimentation??

wordstew
11-19-2017, 13:45
So let's say you're heading out for a 2 week winter trip. You're willing to bet your life on this experimentation??

I've read about more than a few people altering their sleeping pads and or other equipment... Part of hiking is experimentation to see what works for you and what does not. I don't however think I would be inclined to do this to test out on a winter hike. Experimentation is one thing lunacy is quite another

scrabbler
11-19-2017, 14:00
I vote for the extra weight of the coupler.

wordstew
11-19-2017, 14:49
I vote for the extra weight of the coupler.

Admittedly I have no experience with coupling dual pads and or using a duo pad. Was just curious to see if anyone had tried or considered joining pads lengthwise in the aforementioned method. With other issues/concerns aside was just curious to see if this is actually doable

Leo L.
11-19-2017, 14:59
When we (my wife and me) started multiday hikes in the desert we bought two Thermarest and a coupling set.
The coupling did not work at all, this is just crap.
We also bought two matching sleeping bags (LH and RH zip).
We finally never used the possibility to zip together the bags, nor had we any desire to couple the Thermarests.
Don't wanna go into details, but we managed fine without.

Now when doing local multiday hikes, we use a tent. The two Thermarests fill the tent completely, no way for one to slide away from the other. No coupling needed.

Sandy of PA
11-19-2017, 18:44
I do have the experience of shortening 3 Thermarest pads. The problem with your idea is getting unmelted inner material to seal with. The fabric has a heat activated glue on the inside only. The edges also have the baffle structure sealed within. You would be far better off to couple them in some other fashion and not lose your lifetime warranty.

wordstew
11-19-2017, 23:33
I do have the experience of shortening 3 Thermarest pads. The problem with your idea is getting unmelted inner material to seal with. The fabric has a heat activated glue on the inside only. The edges also have the baffle structure sealed within. You would be far better off to couple them in some other fashion and not lose your lifetime warranty.

If it can even be done sounds much more complicated than shortening a pad. Seems the Exped Synmat HL Duo sleeping pad is probably a better way to go for a lightweight duo pad. If I remember correctly the medium Duo was like 28-30 ounces 40"x 72"....

handlebar
11-20-2017, 00:30
You risk voiding your warranty. Cascade Designs has replaced my Neoair Xtherm twice after it developed multiple slow leaks.

bigcranky
11-20-2017, 07:57
Also note that the lightweight Thermarest an Neoair pads are tapered, so they don't match up well along their length. We tried all the solutions for connecting pads (ok, except ironing them together :)), and couldn't get any to work the way we wanted. Last year we bought the Exped double pad, which has been great along with a 2-person EE quilt. It also leaves our single pads for when we hike separately, or otherwise need them.

D2maine
11-20-2017, 08:27

just a tad over the top - not every hike is "life or death"

wordstew
11-20-2017, 08:51
Also note that the lightweight Thermarest an Neoair pads are tapered, so they don't match up well along their length. We tried all the solutions for connecting pads (ok, except ironing them together :)), and couldn't get any to work the way we wanted. Last year we bought the Exped double pad, which has been great along with a 2-person EE quilt. It also leaves our single pads for when we hike separately, or otherwise need them.

Your response indicates the exped double pad may be the best solution. Although I've heard of durability issues.
Do you put anything under/over it for protection?

colorado_rob
11-20-2017, 12:22
Also note that the lightweight Thermarest an Neoair pads are tapered, so they don't match up well along their length. We tried all the solutions for connecting pads (ok, except ironing them together :)), and couldn't get any to work the way we wanted. Last year we bought the Exped double pad, which has been great along with a 2-person EE quilt. It also leaves our single pads for when we hike separately, or otherwise need them. Perfectly said, and we have the identical setup.

We tried various connecting systems for our single pads, nothing was ever quite right. Have a double pad is sooooo sweet, no having to deal with that inevitable gap.

Your response indicates the exped double pad may be the best solution. Although I've heard of durability issues.
Do you put anything under/over it for protection? My wife and I have used our Exped duo for two years very extensively, zero problems. WHO said anything about them not being durable????

just a tad over the top - not every hike is "life or death" Agree! Not sure where the heck that post came from.... PLUS, the system is redundant anyway, two air chambers; wouldn't that comfortable with two people on one mattress, but it would get you through a couple nights in a pinch. IF someone actually managed to weld two rectangular mattresses together, I'm sure they would have plenty of time/opportunity to test the system.

Leo L.
11-20-2017, 13:09
... IF someone actually managed to weld two rectangular mattresses together...
Could you not stitch or glue a long zip to the rim of the mats?
This way you would keep full flexibility to use the mats separate or connected.

wordstew
11-20-2017, 16:41
"My wife and I have used our Exped duo for two years very extensively, zero problems. WHO said anything about them not being durable????"

Not trying to blow up your skirt.... I believe it was a Reddit thread that talked about the Exped blowing out a baffle. Maybe it was an old thread or they addressed the issue but even a quick youtube search can find you video on the issue (youtube/Exped SynMat Hyperlite failure). anyways that's getting a little off topic...
I was just curious to see if anyone had tried to join two Air pads lengthwise.

dmax
11-20-2017, 20:56
We are thinking of trying the Klymit at 47" wide. We've also considered adding Velcro in a few places on our two pads and seeing how that works out.

bigcranky
11-21-2017, 07:59
We are thinking of trying the Klymit at 47" wide. We've also considered adding Velcro in a few places on our two pads and seeing how that works out.

Tried the Velcro idea and it didn't work -- the pads just came apart as soon as we laid down.

Have used the Exped double for a couple of years now, no problems. No special anything under it except the tent floor.

wordstew
11-21-2017, 08:59
Tried the Velcro idea and it didn't work -- the pads just came apart as soon as we laid down.

Have used the Exped double for a couple of years now, no problems. No special anything under it except the tent floor.

Good to hear Exped is holding up, especially just placing it on the tent floor with nothing under it.... what version of the Exped are you using is it the Ultralight duo.

colorado_rob
11-21-2017, 09:49
"My wife and I have used our Exped duo for two years very extensively, zero problems. WHO said anything about them not being durable????"

Not trying to blow up your skirt.... I believe it was a Reddit thread that talked about the Exped blowing out a baffle. Maybe it was an old thread or they addressed the issue but even a quick youtube search can find you video on the issue (youtube/Exped SynMat Hyperlite failure). anyways that's getting a little off topic...
I was just curious to see if anyone had tried to join two Air pads lengthwise. Not feeling any wind.... it's just a pet-peave of mine, the "I heard such-and-such" about durability, etc, without quoting any links. Many folks have unreasonable expectations about gear durability (but not saying you do).

That youtube video is weird, looks like the guy blew the thing up to a huge and unrealistic pressure, wow, so not sure his review is very meaningful, but who knows. If this were to happen (the baffle failure), Exped would replace in a heartbeat, and the pad would still be usable like that at ":normal" operating pressures.

Looks like Exped addressed this "problem" with models made after 2016 (not sure what month):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmWS5Uye6ak

Alas, I'm sure we have the older model, and trying to count nights on our Exped Duo, I think about 65 so far (3 three week trips plus some onsie-twosies). But we don't blow our up anywhere NEAR that balloon pressure.

Overall w.r.t. the OP, I just cannot stress enough the comfort of having a double pad for couples vs. two singles "attached" together.

And by the way, again, two separate chambers for either side, meaning this is sorta like a "sleep number" setup. My wife likes her side softer, I like mine firmer (but nowhere near that dude in the video).

rocketsocks
11-21-2017, 10:33
Two box springs, one mattress

Just Bill
11-21-2017, 12:34
The only pad that cannot fail is a foam pad.
Barring that... Exped is now on the third generation of pads with improvements each time.
The internet is a small place... you sell a few thousand of anything and there will be a few failures posted someplace you'll hear about.
Thermarest pads had very high failure rates and likely there is not a person who has been doing this 20 years or so who hasn't had a thermarest pad fail. At any given time in our scout troop there were two busted thermarests out of 60 or so. So much so that troops exchanged ideas on repair methods and maintenance. We carried two spare pads in our troop trailer at all times.

Lately though it's relatively rare to hear of failures and thousands of happy campers go out each year for 30+ nights without horror stories abounding. Several hundreds of long distance hikers a year go out with hardly a failure.
So a grain or two of salt is needed, as is a bit of perspective.

For me... the Exped line has continued to impress. They have brought some very competitive pads to the market, innovated with the insulation as well as inflation methods and valves.
They are right there with the NeoAir series IMO regarding sizes, weight, pack size and durability.

I am a big fan of the Hyperlight series. I now own 2 hyperlights, a winter version I just picked up, and the Duo. Picked up two pillows too.
Since getting into hammocks more, these are far superior pads for that application. And the baffle orientation and design is a better one for ground use as well vs the NeoAir or Xtherm.
I recall some growing pains, but those largely seem to have been resolved. Nobody likes to be the 1: 10,000 that fails, but 9,999 other happy folks is pretty good for a 1lb sack of air you drag to the woods and abuse.

For the OP... I don't think there is a better double pad available for backpacking than the Hyperlight Duo series. Now available in two sizes and a winter version. The first model was a bit tight in size (IMO) for two adults who don't cuddle... but it was ideal sized for me and a kiddo. Now that there is a long wide model of that pad I'd imagine they have it covered.

For Tipi... I respect your circle of trust and what works for your trips.

Overall-
Backpacking is finding a balance between the reasonable and the absurd.
A reasonable option is to test your gear in safe conditions over a period of time. In this case (as with most gear) if there has been an error in manufacturing then it is likely to occur fairly early on. A 30 night quarantine period of use at home or car camping is something I tend to impose on new gear. After that though a dose of reality is in order. If you are truly in conditions you feel you are unable to cope with a gear failure; then you pack some redundancies into your system; such as a the foam pad that general wisdom dictates you bring in winter conditions.

If your skill level is lacking, or the area you are visiting is too hostile... then your level of redundancy and backup should increase.
Above treeline in the mountains in the middle of winter where walking out is not an option... I would have a foam sit pad at worst, or a 3/4 length z-rest.

If you have the skill level and resources available to you do deal with failures then the danger level is relatively low.
Suffering some catastrophic gear failure for 99% of us means at worst we suffer a sleepless night and abort the trip early.
In reality... Build a fire, a debris bed, stuff your pack with duff or spare clothes. Walk at night, sleep during the day. Get enough insulation together to sit on it and stay warm while sitting upright wrapped in your down, clothes, and other gear you have brought. Drink warm fluids.

If your kit is so fragile and poorly designed that a single piece of gear failing becomes a survival situation then you are lacking balance in your system.
If you don't have a plan or idea of what you should or could do to solve a loss of any component then you haven't thought your system out very well or need to study up.

One advantage the Exped pad has over other air pads is that it uses synthetic insulation.

Because of the synthetic insulation used; a half filled pad with a delam baffle should still provide nearly the full R-value at quite less than deadly comfort levels. Course never having had one fail or even seeing one in person I can't attest to the comfort of a busted baffle. Even in the case of total failure (which a delamed baffle seam hardly qualifies as) then the pad can be folded up and used as a fairly decent sit pad. In that respect it is a safer winter choice than the Xtherm or even a down filled mat. As mentioned- you can sit up on a pad and fight hyporhermia easily enough in that manner.

A quick comment as well on the side by side issues: Exped tapers the pads, but they are a straight taper. So they bump up next to each other much better than the rounded neo-air or other pads.
But I full agree with the others- nothing beats a single two person mat. Somebody always ends up 'in the crack' even if you manage to keep them secured.

PS- Tipi, you and I both damn well know that a busted sleeping pad isn't much more than a grumpy journal entry and opportunity to tell a tale. Quit scaring the children young man.
Hell- you could probably layout all your food, crumple up your book rolls and build a pretty good layer of ground insulation out of that if needed.
Ain't like you're doing Washington in the winter or soloing Long's Peak solo with an UL load.

wordstew
11-21-2017, 13:55
Well.... so far the posts have made for some good reading. I think we can all agree on a few things here. 1. Most of us are fairly curious about equipment, especially new equipment and potential equipment hacks. 2. Most of us have a few strong opinions about a particular piece of equipment they might own. 3. We all enjoy getting out there.

After some reading I may just give the Exped Duo another look. However, I still reserve the right to go mad scientist on my gear and do some experimentation...

Just Bill
11-21-2017, 14:26
Chopping down a pad and sealing an end seems like quite a different project to me than seaming up to pads side by side.
It's your money and mad science skills- but that strikes me as a very intimidating project with a high likely hood of failure for little gain.
The reason folks got into chopping pads was because the size they wanted (Short/wide typically) is not commercially available. In this case you have a very viable commercial option.

I've kept an eye out and picked up my pads on the REI member coupon (or moosejaw's matching deal) sales.
I just picked up the winter hyperlight single... it appears that Moosejaw is still running 25% off most if not all exped pads.

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Exped-SynMat-HL-Duo-Sleeping-Pad_10331187_10208_10000001_-1_

Since I see that the Large/Wide version is available one can strongly suspect these are the third gen versions.
For some time there was some overlap and quite a few 'sales' on the 2nd gen that got confusing.
I have both 2nd and 3rd and there are some clean improvements on the 3rd round in terms of the fabric used.

Just Bill
11-21-2017, 14:30
https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Exped-SynMat-HL-Duo-Winter-Sleeping-Pad_10331188_10208_10000001_-1_

Winter version on sale too.