PDA

View Full Version : Why are you a solo hiker

Hoosier70
11-19-2017, 14:23
Just wondering why you solo hiker

fluffkitten
11-19-2017, 14:26
Because I love walking on my own. I'm around so many people day to day and hiking solo is a wonderful antidote to human overdose.

Deadeye
11-19-2017, 14:33
I like going at my pace, stopping/starting/eating/sleeping/waking/etc., when I want to, without worrying about anyone else's aches, pains, abilities, mood, etc.

I do enjoy meeting people on the trail, and usually camp at or near a shelter and chat with everyone, but I'd just as soon do the hiking by myself. And if I find someone who has similar likes, like my brother or my kids, I hike with them whenever I can.

chknfngrs
11-19-2017, 14:52
I love hiking far and fast, and no one else I know is in the same boat.

DuneElliot
11-19-2017, 14:58
I like to hike alone and camp with others. I actually like to hike with others too...but that is really dependent on who they are.

rocketsocks
11-19-2017, 15:40
It’s logistically easier

Malto
11-19-2017, 15:48
Because there are very few people that do the style of hiking that I do.

Christoph
11-19-2017, 15:55
I'm a fast hiker. I found someone in Ct that was on pace with me and we ended up finishing the trail together. But, we kept out of each others space for the most part and when we needed a little encouragement, we were there to rag on each a bit.

DownEaster
11-19-2017, 15:55
Among my circle of friends I seem to be the only one not on some medical prescription. I'd like to stay healthy, and I'll hike even though my friends can't join me.

Christoph
11-19-2017, 15:58
Ooops, I wasn't finished with the last post. haha. Anyway, I like to be alone for the most part and just "get away" from everything and free the mind if you will. Don't get me wrong, I like meeting people and hiking as 2 people but any more than that is too much and takes the fun out of it for me.

saltysack
11-19-2017, 15:59
Solitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronk
11-19-2017, 16:01
People mostly suck.

jjozgrunt
11-19-2017, 16:22
I do lead day and multi day walks here, and sometimes get very frustrated having to pander to other people's desires/wants/problems etc. Plus organising these walks usually requires a pretty strict schedule. I love to solo so I can do what I want when I want. Stop for an hour and take in a view, start walking at 3am instead of waiting for daylight, eat when I want and if I don't make a planned night loc well there is always tomorrow.

Tipi Walter
11-19-2017, 16:38
People mostly suck.

Exactly..............................

devoidapop
11-19-2017, 16:46
Everybody I hike with has kids, job, all the things that make plans iffy at best. I plan all my hikes and invite people to come. Most of the time they bail for one reason or another so I take advantage of the time walking in the woods, thinking about everything or nothing.

Old Hiker
11-19-2017, 17:04
1. Too slow for most other hikers.

2. Can't smell odors too well, so I'm worried about offending other people with mine.

3. Can't remember names too well.

4. I like the "Hi" and "Bye" of most of my encounters on the Trail. Plus: "How's the water up ahead".

5. A lot of foul language that offends me, so I try not to hang around other people.

6 Solitude - I can sit/hike and listen.

SoaknWet
11-19-2017, 17:48
Freedom from responsibility! I've spent most of my life catering to other, family, business and community! When I hike the only partner I want is day Dreams!

Slo-go'en
11-19-2017, 17:49
The short answer is hiking solo allows you to HYOH. You don't need to consult with another to make decisions, which always has to be done when hiking with a personal friend or significant other. Especially when with the significant other.

I'll do day hikes and weekend trips with friends, but not long distance. For a LASH hike, I go solo.

The actual degree to which your hiking "solo" can vary with the length of the hike. The longer the hike, the greater the chance you will "partner up" with someone or become part of a small group along the way.

Unless your going SOBO or a have a pace outside the bell curve, be it real slow or real fast. You'll probably meet more people in the long run that way, but you won't ever really have a trail family to hike with.

Uncle Joe
11-19-2017, 17:57
I'd love to hike with company but very few of my friends hike.

GoldenBear
11-19-2017, 18:02
I find no logic in expending the time & energy to find another hiker who will walk where I want to walk, when I want to walk, at the speed I want to walk, and in the style I want to walk. Besides, I find all parts of my hike to be more pleasant when I am completely alone. I honestly can not come up with one reason to put out the effort to find a partner for my hikes.

Sandy of PA
11-19-2017, 18:16
I see far more wildlife hiking alone plus everything Old Hiker said!

Kembo
11-19-2017, 18:46
One of my favorite quotes.

“The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.”

http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Henry David Thoreau (http://thinkexist.com/quotes/henry_david_thoreau/)

LoneStranger
11-19-2017, 20:05
One of my favorite quotes.

“The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.”

http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Henry David Thoreau (http://thinkexist.com/quotes/henry_david_thoreau/)

I was going to post anyway, but since that has been in my sig since I created my account here I'll start by agreeing with you on that reason. :)

Hiking with other folks is fine and I do it when they can, but eventually all of my friends and family members run out of vacation time. Pretty sure if they had more time I'd go solo less often. Being alone, especially on trips where you don't see humans for days, does magical things to the mind the spirit though. Always worth making some time for it.

Suzzz
11-19-2017, 20:44
Being a natural loner, I enjoy being alone. That being said, I'm also very sociable and enjoy being around other people. So what does that make me? A sociable loner? Anyway, I digress...

Before doing my first section hike of the AT, I probably would have answered that question by saying that I wasn't a solo hiker because I always hike with friends. However, the friends I hike with have a completely different pace than mine so we always start together, separate early in the hike and get back together at a pre-determined and agreed upon camping spot. I don't know if that's considered solo hiking or not but I can tell you that I quite like this type of hiking. It's the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. It affords me the possibility to HYOH and gives me the ''safety blanket'' feeling that I'm not alone out there and that, should I not show up at our meeting point, someone would come looking for me quickly. I'm also not very comfortable sleeping alone in the woods so I like knowing there's someone near by.

So then comes the AT. I was unable to find a friend who was available to join me on the dates that suited me, and I was hesitant to partner up with a fellow section hiker I didn't know as I felt the likelihood of us being incompatible to be fairly high. So I figured that if I was going to end up hiking alone anyway due to different hiking styles, I may as well start alone to avoid disappointment. I knew I had the skills, experience and the proper gear to do it. All I needed to do was to hike from shelter to shelter to ensure not being alone at night and I would be good to go. So I went. And it was fantastic!

Now, as I'm planning next year's section hike, I put the word out to my hiking friends and gave them the dates and section to be done in the hopes that one or two of them will be available to join me but then again.... if no one was available, it wouldn't be such a big deal now would it?

Durunner
11-19-2017, 20:55
I am a loner that does the majority of activities solo. I am also just about the person that I can stand for hours and hours.

AllDownhillFromHere
11-19-2017, 21:10
"Just wondering why you solo hiker"

I was left waiting for the punctuation, indicating whether this was a statement or a question.

OCDave
11-19-2017, 21:48
I hike with friends or family when they are available and willing. I simply don't let the lack of a partner in adventure keep me from setting out on my own.

evyck da fleet
11-19-2017, 22:09
I’ll see more wildlife and nature if I’m not distracted by having a noisy conversation.
I’m alone with my thoughts.
I can hike comfortably at my pace covering whatever distance I feel like.
I have the freedom to alter my plans or go without them.
I can choose to be socialable or left alone at the end of the day depending on how I feel.
I can plan my trips on my terms when I want to which leads to more miles, smiles and views.

I enjoy hiking with others too but those are usually after work or day hikes. On occasion I’ll join a overnight group or a hike within three hours of Atlanta because there are some hikes in South America and grizzly territory that I’d be better off going with friends.

Uriah
11-19-2017, 22:25
Because I am a misanthrope.

hoohyde
11-19-2017, 22:26
I don't have the miles that most do but I first hiked alone and camped overnight because I was desperate to get out and free my mind. I only have a few friends that would hike and they weren't available. So I got tired of waiting on schedules to line up and decided to give it a shot. I did take my dog but otherwise solo. Never saw a sole on my trip. I'm a little leery about doing it solo in months that aren't fairly cold (central va). I worry a little about rattle snakes and bears and being alone if there was an issue. In nov the weather isn't too cold and I feel I could see bears better with less foliage even though movement is slowed down (but still bear sightings) and no snakes. Also with cooler temps I worry less about water. I carry enough but in summer I'd be more at risk to dehydrate.

hoohyde
11-19-2017, 22:27
I don't have the miles that most do but I first hiked alone and camped overnight because I was desperate to get out and free my mind. I only have a few friends that would hike and they weren't available. So I got tired of waiting on schedules to line up and decided to give it a shot. I did take my dog but otherwise solo. Never saw a sole on my trip. I'm a little leery about doing it solo in months that aren't fairly cold (central va). I worry a little about rattle snakes and bears and being alone if there was an issue. In nov the weather isn't too cold and I feel I could see bears better with less foliage even though movement is slowed down (but still bear sightings) and no snakes. Also with cooler temps I worry less about water. I carry enough but in summer I'd be more at risk to dehydrate.

I can't edit but: my worries are more because I'm a novice and my wife is concerned too

Trailweaver
11-19-2017, 22:46
I've reallly tried to find a hiking partner, but the people I know who are physically able to backpack are younger and have job, children, or other responsibilities. The older people I know who are interested always seem (usually at the last minute) to back out - sometimes out of fear (women backpacking? alone!??!), some last minute ailment, or conflict in scheduling. Also, I do hike very slowly, stop frequently, and don't "make the miles" some might want to do in groups. So. . . I end up hiking alone, not necessarily by choice, but necessity.

scrabbler
11-19-2017, 23:01
I hike with friends or family when they are available and willing. I simply don't let the lack of a partner in adventure keep me from setting out on my own.

Same here.

handlebar
11-20-2017, 00:26
Like planning treks and hiking on my schedule. Love hiking with others on 3-4 day trips, but longer only if I run into compatible hiker on the trail. Now hiking obscure, less popular, routes and have resigned myself to solo hiking. I carry a SPOT for peace of mind (mine and wife's). CDT in 2010 when I hiked NM & CO under a week with others taught me to appreciate solo trekking. Been hiking mostly solo since. Only people I saw on NM GET this fall were at resupply towns save for a mountain biking couple on a section near Winston NM.

Furlough
11-20-2017, 07:14
I'm old and slow. Heck, maybe I should change my name to Old Solo.

Furlough

Cheyou
11-20-2017, 08:07
I smell funny ?

Pringles
11-20-2017, 09:08
I see so much more and I can stop or go whenever I want to.

Hikingjim
11-20-2017, 09:12
Because there just aren't that many people that I can handle spending that much time with who are fast, competent navigators, and actually want to go
I hike with my wife sometimes, and it is good, but there are definite tradeoffs.

She is not as confident with where she's going at all times, she is slower (moreso if technical terrain), and has big problems with obstacles like crossings or slows right down in heavy rain. So it turns my adventure from just walkin' into a "hike leader" with many logistical concerns. It's still fun, but different.

Longboysfan
11-20-2017, 10:25
Because I love walking on my own. I'm around so many people day to day and hiking solo is a wonderful antidote to human overdose.

Same here - HYOH.

tdoczi
11-20-2017, 10:34
it started because no one really wanted to join. or the few who did quickly couldnt keep up/go as often/go as far, etc.

i always thought itd be nice to meet someone just as into it as i was who could join without it being cumbersome in any way.

i met such a person once. we did a few day hikes, which were fine, then we tried an overnight.

i made all the plans, all the decisions, everything. they just agreed to tag along and follow me.

it held me back. i cant entirely explain why, but it did. it wasnt that they couldnt physically keep up, or even that they didnt want to keep up or had their own ideas that didnt mesh with mine or anything like that.

there is just something about the mechanics of trying to cover long distances with someone else that makes it work differently.

i suspect thats why i meet a lot of thru hikers who hike "together" entirely at their own pace, essentially alone, but just meet up at the end of the day or whatever.

i suppose if i did it more i'd maybe figure it out. but i havent had much opportunity nor can i claim to have much desire to.

nsherry61
11-20-2017, 10:51
Mostly because, I like hiking and often there are not other people with the same time available and/or the same ambition or goals I have.
Sometimes I just need to get out and meditate in my own personal mind space without others to add clutter.

Crossup
11-20-2017, 13:24
Because of pace mismatches...I go from couch to 6-7miles a day to 10-12miles after 5-6 days. I also think if you camp with someone hiking it would only a take a night or two to run out of interesting conversation, then its small talk just like real life- no thanks. Perhaps the exception to that would be my wife, we already know how to deal with that :D

JJ505
11-20-2017, 13:37
@Crossup: "Pace mismatches" is a good word for it.

I'm an older guy, have had an ankle injury (might be why, I'm very slow). Also have a Corgi, who is pretty slow too. The people I do know who like to hike are doing 10-15 miles on their hikes and I am lucky to do 3-4 miles. However, the people I know who might like to hike are not able to do the grade hikes that I enjoy with elevation gains of 1000 feet and that type of thing. I don't particular want to "hike" in a city park. I have a partner who will go out with me if I go on a short hike (1-2 hours).

I do like solo hiking and I can go/do where I want, but I had a hiking partner once who had similar interests and I very much enjoyed that.

Strategic
11-20-2017, 15:25
I just like hiking my own hike. I get into the woods to be without schedules or obligations, but I always feel like I'm tied down when I'm hiking with someone else. It's a matter of getting the attitudinal adjustment I want out of a hike.

Leo L.
11-20-2017, 15:55
Most of my travels and other adventurs I did alone, even when rock climbing I developed some tricks to be able to do it alone.
Mostly due to the fact that it was hard to find somebody to do the same thing at the same time with the same intensity.

The same is going on now since I started hiking in the sense you US guys understand it.
It seems that I'm the only one around here doing such overnight/multiday trips with sleeping outdoors.
I have no problem being solo, I can enjoy myself for days on end.

When hiking with my wife I adopt her pace, me usually carrying a (much) heavier pack so we both break about the same sweat.
We really love it to be together in the outdoors, just the two of us. Don't need to speak for hours. We never part during the day, always walk together.
The family is pulling her back home soon, though, so our time out is limited to a few days apiece usually.

Recalc
11-20-2017, 17:07
Always enjoyed hiking with others, but when I started hiking alone, a newfound confidence in hiking skills & ability came that were not previously there.

JJ505
11-20-2017, 18:42
I hiked a few times with a co-worker who would go thru the various work issues. Yikes, nothing I needed less. (I'm retired now, so that's why its past tense.)

Odd Man Out
11-21-2017, 00:05
My user name says it all.

ScareBear
11-21-2017, 07:57
I usually don't have a problem finding somebody to day hike. WHEN I want somebody to day hike with me...which isn't always or even often.

Overnight hiking is a completely different animal. For me it starts as a logistical problem...coordinating days off. Plus, I often do my overnights on fairly short notice, since that is how work is for me...not a lot of overnight windows, so when one opens I go for it. The next part is certainly "compatibility". Just because somebody is willing to do a multi day hike with me doesn't mean that I want them to do a multi day hike with me...

It isn't, contrary to popular belief, because I am a curmudgeon. It's just that my time in the woods is precious and I have to weigh that against the downsides of a partner. More than one person and it is a freaking expedition and unless it is a ski trip...no thanks. So, do I want this person to be with me for 2-4 days/nights in the woods? That narrows the possibilities down dramatically.

So, that is why I hike alone much of the time. I have a couple of friends who love to get out on the trail and overnight, but the coordination of time off the major obstacle there...

HYOH. YMMV. NTTAWWT.

windlion
11-22-2017, 08:56
Thanks for opening this thread, Hoosier. Lot more folks out on the trail like me than I thought. Hiking my own hike, and happy to see you all at the end of the day if we happen to stop at the same place.

cs2blue
11-22-2017, 09:25
Hiking with other means compromising on many levels. Easier to manage just myself. I will only be alone if I choose to be. Other wise will have company and we will be like minded. That is the adventure!

pesphoto
11-22-2017, 09:27
i do pretty much everything else solo so.....

JPritch
11-22-2017, 10:10
I love hiking far and fast, and no one else I know is in the same boat.
That's a big one for me. My friends and fam can't keep up.

Traffic Jam
11-22-2017, 11:51

Shae
11-22-2017, 13:01
People mostly suck.

With all due respect, I heartily disagree. I hear that sentiment way too often and it saddens me. People are mostly good and overwhelmingly strive to do good and be a good person on a day to day basis. I also hike alone much of the time but for reasons stated by others in this thread. I realized long ago and I say often: "everyone has a story". And although I am a bit of an introvert, I love hearing those stories whether it be while on trail, on an airplane flight, or meeting someone new at a Thanksgiving get-together. I try and step out of my comfort zone and ask people what that story is. Hiking alone is great but hopefully those with a "people suck" attitude look inward a bit and perhaps figure out that those feelings may be a bit self-inflicted. My apologies for heading off on a tangent from the original post and wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving.

ldsailor
11-22-2017, 13:23
My first hike ever was just two years ago where I started at Springer Mountain. I had a partner who agreed to teach me what I needed to know. He had a problem a few days into the hike and I wanted to keep going so we parted. Then I linked up with a young lady. That lasted a couple of days before she dropped out. Then a young guy (teenager). He lasted five hours. Acknowledging the fact that I'm jinxed, I went alone for the rest of the way except several days with an older woman.

I hiked 532 miles in 2016 - most of it by myself. This year I did another 746 miles - a short distance with another hiker and the rest alone.

The fact that I'm older and a slow hiker hasn't seemed to be the problem. I guess it gets back to linking up with somebody who has the mental toughness and ability to do the hike. As I said. I'm slow, but I can still do 15 to 20 mile days.

While I really would like a hiking partner, it doesn't look like it's in the cards, so I'm not even going to try next year when I try to finish the AT.

Night Train
11-24-2017, 21:58
Because my proclivity for night hiking detours others from following along.

sparky2000
11-24-2017, 22:11
I've got the curse of "Not likeable" but love company - still, it's do it or don't and do it is more fun.

Kaptainkriz
11-24-2017, 22:57
Sometimes I just like silence...

NY HIKER 50
11-24-2017, 23:03
Some of you already said some of what I wanted to say. However, there's more. I don't wait around for the phone to ring. Many of the groups I lead for have aged out.

But wait, there's more. If I say anything about bears, snakes, bugs, etc. I can be sure they won't be coming. Also, if I say to bring a flashlight and a late return, forget it. I just cleared my slate. If I say we'll end in the dark, Bye Bye.

If I say to anyone that I want to explore an area, no one comes. No one is adventurous any more. Like I said and I'll repeat:

night hike? EEEEK
bears?EEEEK
ants? EEEEK
dark? EEEEK

It's easier to just put some gear in a pack, throw in some food, tie on my sneakers, and go at any time day OR Night.

Another Kevin
11-25-2017, 01:56
I'm too slow, and too talkative, and hike on too unpredictable a schedule.

jgil
11-25-2017, 09:46
social anxiety

kolokolo
11-25-2017, 21:34
Can't convince hiking buddies to go along. Don't mind hiking solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
11-25-2017, 23:54
I like being a Lone Wolf at times. There are times when I need a break from humans and embrace other LIFE/Nature without humans aka Gandhi, Jesus, John the Baptist, Moses, Paul Attala(first to row solo across the Atlantic), Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindberg, etc

archie
11-26-2017, 17:36
I hike alone for the solitude and freedom it provides.

tawa
11-26-2017, 17:46
When I hike alone there is no drama and no one to blame!! Drama is very toxic for this hiker so much easier for me to avoid than to deal with.

With that said I usually do find some periods where I hike with others and enjoy their company. Just know that I always have a way out by hiking solo should the chatter, games or drama become more than I want to deal with.
I like my freedom and independence. I'm at my best when others don't depend on me or place expectations on what they think I should be doing in relation to their hike.

Tipi Walter
11-26-2017, 20:56
When I hike alone there is no drama and no one to blame!! Drama is very toxic for this hiker so much easier for me to avoid than to deal with.

With that said I usually do find some periods where I hike with others and enjoy their company. Just know that I always have a way out by hiking solo should the chatter, games or drama become more than I want to deal with.
I like my freedom and independence. I'm at my best when others don't depend on me or place expectations on what they think I should be doing in relation to their hike.

Best post yet.

TX Aggie
11-27-2017, 00:43
I’m a hiker.

Sometimes others are around, sometimes it’s just me; It has nothing to do with intentions. You might as well ask “why are you a solo driver?”

Francis Sawyer
11-28-2017, 12:01
Other people are annoying . Most of them are not squared-away and can't hack it when things get tough.

MisterQ
11-28-2017, 12:45
I do trips both alone and with friends. When with friends I have to accommodate to their needs and styles, and they to mine. It's a fair tradeoff for the fun and companionship it provides. At other times I like the complete freedom of being alone and doing things when, how and where I want to. Can't really say I prefer one over the other.

LittleRock
11-29-2017, 12:16
Because you're only as fast as the slowest person in your group, and I like it when it's only ME slowing me down.

bstiffler
11-29-2017, 22:43
most of my co workers think I'm crazy for going into the middle of nowhere on my own. I spend my works days dealing with other people all day long and hate my job so it's nice to get totally away from everyone. I have a coworker who expressed some interest on doing hiking but as soon as he hears 3 or 4 days without a shower he's out.

TX Aggie
11-29-2017, 23:15
I’m a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

GaryM
11-30-2017, 11:19
I hike to experience the world around me. I like to travel at my own pace and do what I want to do. If I am with someone else I invariably end up assisting and/or catering to them.
I hike for me, not someone else.

Grampie
11-30-2017, 11:20
I find that hiking alone gives you the ability to do what you want, when you want to.

Redbird2
12-03-2017, 21:33
I like going at my pace. Stopping where I want when I want. Leaving when I want. I don't ever feel the need to converse about topics I care nothing about

Deacon
12-04-2017, 08:42
I don’t know anyone else who likes to get up at 4:00 am and be walking at first light. I also like to arrive at my destination early, say 2 or 3:00 pm. That early, I always have first pick of tent sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro