PDA

View Full Version : Essential Home Fleece Throw

wordstew
11-20-2017, 10:01
Kmart has a bunch of 60" x 50" fleece blankets onsale for like 2 bucks a piece. Anybody have any idea what they weigh and are any they good.

nsherry61
11-20-2017, 11:00
Fleece (as long as it is 100% polyester) is pretty much fleece these days. Some is slightly thicker and warmer or thinner and cooler (choose your preference). But quality is all pretty good. However, for most of us 60" in length is pretty useless for outdoor activities unless you sew two together. 60" is just a lap-length blanket.

Fleece is also wonderfully easy to work with because it doesn't unravel after it's cut and it's easy to sew. If you like sewing, your $2 blankets might be a great way to get really affordable material to then sew into jackets and pants and/or blankets and bags.

Slo-go'en
11-20-2017, 12:13
Yea, 60" is too short unless your 3 foot tall. 90" is more suited to be real blanket, which I recently saw at wally world for $8.95.

If by "any good" you mean as a replacement for a sleeping bag, then mostly no. It would be okay during the warmest part of the summer but will still be heavier and more bulky then other options.

JJ505
11-20-2017, 13:49
I've heard of using fleece sleeping bags in the summer (Dixie did it on the PCT). I'd love to use it as a blanket in a down bag. I don't feel that down is, well, very cuddly. Bag liners seem like they'd get tangled in your feet though. I think the weight is less than a lb. for such a throw (12 oz or so??). 60 inches is 5 feet.

nsherry61
11-20-2017, 15:54
. . . for most of us 60" in length is pretty useless for outdoor activities . . .

Yea, 60" is too short unless your 3 foot tall. 90" is more suited to be real blanket. . .

Actually, as I stop to think about it, for summer use, a 60" throw might be just fine. Back in the day, okay, back in the 70's, I used a 1/2 length sleeping bag for some mountaineering because my jacket was more than warm enough for my upper body, so a 1/2 bag was all I needed for a comfortable sleep system.

For summer backpacking, I often go pretty light on my insulation, and although my upper body is warm because I have enough upper body insulation to sleep comfortably all night, my legs get cold. If I added a little half-length throw to my kit to add insulation to my legs on a cold night, that might be pretty handy.

Thanks for the idea.

Sleep well and prosper!

wordstew
11-21-2017, 08:49
Just curious if these fleece throws would add any comfort or additional warmth if used on a pad or in a bag. Probably not light weight enough to justify lugging it but I don't have the blanket weight specs.

nsherry61
11-23-2017, 14:36
Fleece would, of course, add warmth when placed over you. They are insulation afterall. They would work better for warmth under you than down or synthetic puffy insulation would since the fleece holds it loft significantly better under pressure - which means it doesn't pack down as small. Fleece will never be as warm per pound as puffy stuff, but it is warmer when wet.

Get some. Then go out and play around with it and tell the rest of us how it works and how you like it.

Have fun.

JJ505
11-23-2017, 18:28
Fleece would, of course, add warmth when placed over you. They are insulation afterall. They would work better for warmth under you than down or synthetic puffy insulation would since the fleece holds it loft significantly better under pressure - which means it doesn't pack down as small. Fleece will never be as warm per pound as puffy stuff, but it is warmer when wet.

Have fun.

Fleece next to the skin is nice, don't really care for the feeling of down next to the skin. It's a lot heavier of course.

SoaknWet
11-23-2017, 19:25
I use a fleece TQ from Jack's or better all summer long and sometimes nto fall and find it very warm and comfortable.

Slo-go'en
11-24-2017, 00:45
Walmart sells bulk fleece for not a lot of money, with a wide choice of designs on the fabric. I bought a few yards of a thin fleece thinking I'd make my own liner, but never did get around to it.

wordstew
11-27-2017, 17:35
I pulled the trigger and bought two of these fleece blankets. I gotta say it was four bucks well spent. They weigh in just under 15 oz and feel pretty good. Just might throw one in my bag to see how much warmth and comfort it may provide if any. Anyways a $4.00 experiment, if it does not work out for me my beagle will be getting one as a Xmas gift..