PDA

View Full Version : Section hike Georgia to Gatlinberg Tenn. End of March 2018

cs2blue
11-20-2017, 18:55
I am planning the start to my A.T. trip. I have set aside 2 weeks/14 days. Give or take 3 days if needed. Hopping this amount of time allows for weather and at least one zero day. Is this realistic? Also any knowledge on how I could get to the airport in Knoxville when I come off trail Gatlinberg? I have not found public transportation to the airport which may lead to Lyft/uber. Not cheap but it will work. Any thoughts or advice will be welcomed!!!

rmitchell
11-20-2017, 19:36
You will have a LOT of company on the trail.

Unfortunately there is no public transportation between Knoxville and Gatlinburg. There is a trolley within G'burg and to Pigeon Forge.
If you end at Newfound Gap it should be easy to hitch a ride into Gatlinburg or possibly further.

Venchka
11-20-2017, 20:16
Make a sign on Tyvek: Knoxville Airport. Use it to hitch a ride.
Crazy What If idea:
Search hotels between Gatlinburg and the Bass Pro Shop Resort on the Interstate Highway at the Gatlinburg exit for an airport shuttle. You’re going to need a shower and a bed by then.
One more piece of information: The Knoxville Airport is south of Knoxville in Alcoa, TN. Sevierville, TN to Maryville to the airport is shorter than going up to the Interstate, through Knoxville and back south to the airport.
Flying out of Asheville, NC is worth a look.
Good luck!
Wayne

Slo-go'en
11-20-2017, 21:32
If you mean Springer to Gatlinberg, that's 207 miles, so you'd be looking to do a minimum of 16 miles a day on average. Every other shelter is about 15 miles apart in that stretch, so with a couple of 20's thrown in it's possible. Adding 3 days of trail time would help and would lessen the pressure to do some of the hard bits in one go.

The average through hiker starting out typically takes 18-21 days to get to New Found Gap. In March with less then ideal weather to deal with, I'd go with the 21 day plan. Now you only have to manage about 10 miles a day.

Venchka
11-21-2017, 00:34
One way car rental Sevierville to the Knoxville Airport. Enterprise. $125 now. Could be higher in March.
Wayne

Analog_Kidd
11-21-2017, 07:07
Coming off the AT at Spence Field or Russel Field and taking the side trail North into Townsend TN will put you at the closest point to the Knoxville airport. The road thru Townsend takes you right to the airport. Plus, Townsend has a lot of traffic, and you'll likely be able to hitch a ride. I kayak the Little River in that area, and never worry about hitching a ride. With your backpack on, a curious tourist will pick you up.

cs2blue
11-21-2017, 08:27
Thanks for the info. exactly what I needed. Coming off a bit earlier would lessen my mileage but allow me some time to breath a bit. I already see my plans being changed. Even the shorter route may not be a bonus due to weather and people traffic on the trail. I hope to return in September and section the next northern part of the trail. Way less people at that time. There is no fast lane on the trail, it is only in my mind. Traffic will be heavy in March, no doubt. I cannot wait to start this adventure! I just need more time to do it!

shelb
11-22-2017, 21:59
If you mean Springer to Gatlinberg, that's 207 miles, so you'd be looking to do a minimum of 16 miles a day on average. Every other shelter is about 15 miles apart in that stretch, so with a couple of 20's thrown in it's possible. Adding 3 days of trail time would help and would lessen the pressure to do some of the hard bits in one go.

Slo-goen brings up great points about logistics. If you have not hiked the AT yet, it is most likely that you will not meet this goal. I have hike about 950 plus miles (including the section you are talking about, and Iwould never attempt to take a friend on this section with the time line you are talking about. When I did that section, I saw THREE QUARTERS of the people drop out... because they were trying to do too much. Focus on 5 to 10 miles a day )meaning plan on 5 and do 10 if you are in good shape after the first five. If, after a week, you are rocking 10, go for 15 - base it on the shelters... ) I wish you the best!

The average through hiker starting out typically takes 18-21 days to get to New Found Gap. In March with less then ideal weather to deal with, I'd go with the 21 day plan. Now you only have to manage about 10 miles a day.

Slo-goen brings up great points about logistics. If you have not hiked the AT yet, it is most likely that you will not meet this goal. I have hike about 950 plus miles (including the section you are talking about, and Iwould never attempt to take a friend on this section with the time line you are talking about. When I did that section, I saw THREE QUARTERS of the people drop out... because they were trying to do too much. Focus on 5 to 10 miles a day )meaning plan on 5 and do 10 if you are in good shape after the first five. If, after a week, you are rocking 10, go for 15 - base it on the shelters... ) I wish you the best!

The average through hiker starting out typically takes 18-21 days to get to New Found Gap. In March with less then ideal weather to deal with, I'd go with the 21 day plan. Now you only have to manage about 10 miles a day.[/QUOTE]

Hikemor
11-23-2017, 10:36
March is a particularly bad time to be on the southern AT because of so-so weather and hoards of would-be thru hikers. If your schedule allows, recommend mid to late April instead.

Siestita
11-25-2017, 19:13
Hikemor's suggestion makes sense. Since you are section hiking but will only have two weeks available, why don't you pick some other warmer time for your walk. Also, there is no law that says that everyone who hikes portions of the AT must start doing so in Georgia.