PDA

View Full Version : Rain Jacket

orthofingers
11-22-2017, 09:41
What are some rain jackets you all like.
I've been using Frog Toggs but they're not really rain proof and the one I have is more duct tape than whatever it was originally made of. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of weight for real rain proofness and durability. I was going to get a Montbell Versalite but I believe they stopped making them and I can't find one anywhere. The OR Helium II is light but I'd like a bit more durability and (hopefully), longevity.

thanks

spfleisig
11-22-2017, 09:43
Outdoor Research Helium II jacket.

gbolt
11-22-2017, 09:50
I use a Marmot PreCip and at 10 oz I like it. Also easy to find on sale (I paid $50). However, if buying new today, no doubt I would go with the OR HeliumII.

Tipi Walter
11-22-2017, 10:42
My history of backpacking rain jackets---

** Army poncho with hood and side snaps. New version (not the old Korean War type rubberized canvas).
** North Face blue knee length anorak circa 1982---urethane coated---with zippered chest pocket and hood. So very hot when moving.
** Marmot Minima paclite goretex---small holes the first two years.
** Arcteryx Alpha SV proshell goretex---expensive but still going strong.

Rain Man
11-22-2017, 11:42
Being in the hot and humid southeast, and having tried many jackets, I've learned one important feature to me is pit zips. I've also learned "breathable" is truly fake news.

Tipi Walter
11-22-2017, 12:00
Being in the hot and humid southeast, and having tried many jackets, I've learned one important feature to me is pit zips. I've also learned "breathable" is truly fake news.

The purpose of a rain jacket is not to keep me dry but to keep my torso core warm---otherwise I just hike in a t-shirt and shorts in the rain.

Feral Bill
11-22-2017, 12:04
Fake, and not even new.

Feral Bill
11-22-2017, 12:07
I currently use and like the Packa.

JoeVogel
11-22-2017, 12:43
the Marmot Essence (http://amzn.to/2iGAv9Z) is my all time favorite. mostly for it's ultra-lightness (6.3oz) and it does a good job of keeping out the water.

poolskaterx
11-22-2017, 13:25
Ill second the Marmot Essence as I ALWAYS bring it with me, however I use mostly in camp. If it is really gonna be raining while I am hiking I bring my frogtogs poncho because I can vent it and it also doubles as my pack cover.

martinb
11-22-2017, 13:49
I've used a lot of different rain jackets but have been quite pleased with a $16 poncho I got off Amazon. It easily covers the pack and I don't sweat nearly as much as I did with any rain jacket. I can don and remove it without de-packing, love that feature. It's cheap to try, anyway.

KCNC
11-22-2017, 14:04
I really like my foul weather jacket from my offshore sailboat racing days. It's lined and vented, managing to keep you dry from the rain without soaking you in sweat. (I sweat at the drop of a hat and even in 80+ degree weather I'd remain pretty comfortable.)

But it weighs about 3 lbs, so I'm not inclined to include it in my backpacking gear.

Other than the made-for-hiker jackets already mentioned, I've found an effective and affordable jacket that doesn't bust the scale are the ones sold at Costco. At about $30 they weigh about 10-16 ounces (depending on size) and hold up well. I've had one for two years now and have hauled it all over the world in my luggage, subjecting it to a fair amount of abuse and it still looks like new.

It's a little heavy if you're being weight conscious, but for a "weekend warrior" application it will keep you dry and let you leave your really nice equipment at home.

khysanth
11-22-2017, 16:40
Everyone recommends the OR Helium II, but if you're going to pay for an OR jacket, get the OR Helium HD... pit zips are no joke.

I'll also second the recommendation above for the Marmot PreCip. Easy to find on sale for $60ish and has great features.

gbolt
11-22-2017, 19:34
Everyone recommends the OR Helium II, but if you're going to pay for an OR jacket, get the OR Helium HD... pit zips are no joke.

I'll also second the recommendation above for the Marmot PreCip. Easy to find on sale for $60ish and has great features.

Good point on the need for pit zips. It’s a give for me. I have often worn the Marmot jacket but stuck my arms out through the pit zips, to keep core warm and dry but let the arms work.

Bianchi Veloce
11-23-2017, 04:44
The Packa is awesome! Keeps me and my pack dry. Has huge pit zips. Doubles as my pillow.

Greenlight
11-23-2017, 10:57
I concur. I have the top and bottoms, though I mostly use the top. The H2 only real drawback is the lack of pit zips. It doubles as a windbreaker, and I have used it a few times when the temps were in the 20s and 30s. It allows me to hike in a baselayer and fleece underneath and be completely comfortable. I adjust my temperature and comfort via the front zipper or simply taking off my hat. With this setup, I'm hyper-vigilant about sweat. It keeps me purposefully hiking dry.

Outdoor Research Helium II jacket.

BuckeyeBill
11-24-2017, 17:29
Had a Marmot PreCip. I switched to a Packa, that keeps me, my straps and my pack dry.

Another Kevin
11-24-2017, 18:33
Marmot Precip, because it works around town, too. I've contemplated getting a Packa for a while now.

Old Hillwalker
11-24-2017, 21:21
I went down to the Hyperlite Factory and bought their rain jacket today. 20% off for Black Friday sale that runs through Monday. Very pricey, hope it is worth it.

Vanhalo
11-25-2017, 13:09
What are some rain jackets you all like.
I've been using Frog Toggs but they're not really rain proof and the one I have is more duct tape than whatever it was originally made of. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of weight for real rain proofness and durability. I was going to get a Montbell Versalite but I believe they stopped making them and I can't find one anywhere. The OR Helium II is light but I'd like a bit more durability and (hopefully), longevity.

thanks

I just bought a Montbell Versalite Rain Jacket. (https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25013&p_id=2328276&gen_cd=1)

Look up their dealer locations (they can order one for you.) or buy directly from their site.

Dealers offer 20% discount....mine did at least. I drove 90 miles to the nearest dealer and had to wait several weeks for the Versalite to be back in stock.

reppans
11-27-2017, 11:41
Gatewood Cape for me.... doubles as my favorite tent.

Dogwood
11-27-2017, 14:30
http://www.adventurealan.com/rain-jacket-durability-101-how-to-select-the-best-durable-rain-jacket/

Dogwood
11-27-2017, 14:35
Alan offers several possibilities.

The fully featured MB Versatile should still be available. I bought a new one, my third, at the end of last yr at the Portland MB store for $139.

I also like the breathability of an older version ZP Challenger rain jacket and the now fully featured ZP Vertices rain jacket.

Vanhalo
02-09-2018, 10:33
Alan offers several possibilities.

The fully featured MB Versatile should still be available. I bought a new one, my third, at the end of last yr at the Portland MB store for $139.

I also like the breathability of an older version ZP Challenger rain jacket and the now fully featured ZP Vertices rain jacket.

The Versalite is on sale now in the MB Outlet.

TheMidlifeHiker
02-15-2018, 22:53
Love my Outdoor Research Helium II!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linus72
02-16-2018, 14:41
wanted so much to love my helium II. but all it took was one real all day deluge in the appalachians and it wet through within the first hour of heavy rain on the trail. and it was 40 degrees and i had 8 miles to go until shelter with that rain intensity the whole time. bad news, made me want my 13 oz REI coat a lot more... ill carry that extra 7 oz from now on. at least i got it as a gift. if i need a water-repellent wind shirt, my houdini does the trick till i need the real rain coat and at 3oz, can also come along for the ride.

TheMidlifeHiker
02-16-2018, 20:27
wanted so much to love my helium II. but all it took was one real all day deluge in the appalachians and it wet through within the first hour of heavy rain on the trail. and it was 40 degrees and i had 8 miles to go until shelter with that rain intensity the whole time. bad news, made me want my 13 oz REI coat a lot more... ill carry that extra 7 oz from now on. at least i got it as a gift. if i need a water-repellent wind shirt, my houdini does the trick till i need the real rain coat and at 3oz, can also come along for the ride.

Can’t say that I’ve been out in the conditions you describe. Hope I fare better!

linus72
02-16-2018, 21:29
your mileage may vary but we met and hiked with a thru hiker last summer when doing a section in Massachusetts and he had the same coat and had the same experience I eventually did and was thinking of getting a different coat. At that point I hadn't really had that kind of severe weather experience yet and was still loving my coat... till I was out over Labor Day in the great flood and the jacket just didn't cut it for water resistance. That being said I'm following a few thrus on TJ and one does have it and didn't complain about the coat in last week's epic rains in Georgia... But I find my REI coat and the Marmot Precip to be much more waterproof and wind proof and pit zips are everything. I think my REI coat is discontinued but the Precip is almost identical and you can find online for about $60 if you don't find the OR Helium to be doing the job. Some extra ounces are worth it and rain protection is one of those areas... Checked out your signature link, good luck on your thru! I'm jealous as I'm stuck as a sectioner until retirement but I'm following several class of 2018 hikers already and I will add you to my list. Maybe I'll run into you up north as we are finishing MA and NJ this summer and I am part of the CT maintaining chapter and am out there in CT all season.

fastfoxengineering
02-16-2018, 21:53
Ive been using a silnylon waterproof non breathable jacket the past few weeks.

I really like it so far

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

TheMidlifeHiker
02-17-2018, 00:31
your mileage may vary but we met and hiked with a thru hiker last summer when doing a section in Massachusetts and he had the same coat and had the same experience I eventually did and was thinking of getting a different coat. At that point I hadn't really had that kind of severe weather experience yet and was still loving my coat... till I was out over Labor Day in the great flood and the jacket just didn't cut it for water resistance. That being said I'm following a few thrus on TJ and one does have it and didn't complain about the coat in last week's epic rains in Georgia... But I find my REI coat and the Marmot Precip to be much more waterproof and wind proof and pit zips are everything. I think my REI coat is discontinued but the Precip is almost identical and you can find online for about $60 if you don't find the OR Helium to be doing the job. Some extra ounces are worth it and rain protection is one of those areas... Checked out your signature link, good luck on your thru! I'm jealous as I'm stuck as a sectioner until retirement but I'm following several class of 2018 hikers already and I will add you to my list. Maybe I'll run into you up north as we are finishing MA and NJ this summer and I am part of the CT maintaining chapter and am out there in CT all season.

Awesome, thanks for the follow! I’m hoping to make it that far... MA is my home state and I do most of my overnights in the Whites. Will go by Midlife along the way - hope to see you!

Shrewd
02-17-2018, 09:28
For a thru I like the helium because it’s small and light.

For day to day or shorter Treks I’d like something beefier - ideally a 3 layered rain jacket. Much better “breathability.” The helium wears like a fancy trash bag.

That said, on a thru having to put on a rain jacket generally means your going to be miserable one way or another so go with what’s light and most affordable

Shrewd
02-17-2018, 09:30
FWIW my helium lasted the whole AT but had tears in the armpits by the end. One was fairly large but I figured hey free pit zips!

When I got home I emailed Outdoor Research about it. Told them I knew this was beyond what anyone would consider regular wear and tear and I totally got my money’s worth.

They sent me a new one anyway.

TheMidlifeHiker
02-17-2018, 11:32
FWIW my helium lasted the whole AT but had tears in the armpits by the end. One was fairly large but I figured hey free pit zips!

When I got home I emailed Outdoor Research about it. Told them I knew this was beyond what anyone would consider regular wear and tear and I totally got my money’s worth.

They sent me a new one anyway.

That’s great to know, thanks!

Cheyou
02-17-2018, 13:37
Not a fan of the OR helium.

Thom

Deadeye
02-17-2018, 13:59
Frogg Toggs + umbrella can't be beat.

Astro
02-17-2018, 19:57
Marmot Mica for the Summer on the AT. I don't believe they still make it, but you can find it on the internet still (like REI Garage Sale).
Marmot Precip for Fall/Winter hiking and everyday. It is a little heavier than the Mica (11 to 7 oz), but mine is Orange which can't hurt when hiking during hunting season. :)

linus72
02-17-2018, 20:34
not saying the helium is a bad product, just relating my personal experience and those of some i met on the trail with the same experience. i know they're good on replacing when appropriate. but for me i found it to underperform to my expectations. i can't return it or get a replacement because it was a gift, but i am happy to use my other coat that weighs more in prolonged heavy rain forecasts. and i will keep the helium II around cause its not a bad product after all. i will just use it in weather i feel it will handle to my expectations.

saltysack
02-17-2018, 20:39

I’d send it back to OR...they have great CS..my first gen helium 11 wet out much faster than the current model they sent me.

TheMidlifeHiker
02-17-2018, 21:35
I’d send it back to OR...they have great CS..my first gen helium 11 wet out much faster than the current model they sent me.

I’m in the same boat - need to go with it. Hopefully it’ll perform... if not, I replace it along the way. Rain doesn’t bother me much.

Chris

Singto
02-25-2018, 21:51
I'm gonna use either Frogg Toggs with a pack cover or an inexpensive poncho that covers everything. I'm leaning towards the poncho for starters.

Odd Man Out
02-26-2018, 00:46
I've used an ordinary The North Face Rain jacket. When that one started to delaminated after several years of use I got a similar Eddie Bauer jacket. Both have big pit zips, nice hood. I use all year when not hikeing too. Not lightweight or expensive. Works fine.

globetruck
02-27-2018, 01:17
I’m cursed with long arms and the OR jackets just don’t fit me that well. They’re light but my observation is that many jackets marketed to be super lightweight end up sacrificing fit.

Dogwood
02-27-2018, 02:39
..I've also learned "breathable" is truly fake news.

If you believe that on your next hike take along a truly non breathable non permeable rain suit like sold at HD or Lowes or a sauna fat burning suit like wrestlers wear to reach their fighting wt and a breathable hiking rain jacket/pants comparing the difference.

Dogwood
02-27-2018, 02:44
Being in the hot and humid southeast, and having tried many jackets, I've learned one important feature to me is pit zips.

What you did was make the distinction between ventilation/ability to ventilate and breathability. Far more important to thermoregulation is ventilation.

That is not to say breathability is not also a factor.

iio
03-15-2018, 21:52
Late to the party I guess, but on my PCT thru last year I used a lightheart gear silnylon rain jacket. Weights little, has pit zips, she customized it for my long arms and not very expensive!
Liked it a lot!

Coffee
03-16-2018, 09:42
I use the Frogg Toggs and find them unbeatable for the money and you just get a new $20 suit when the old one wears out. They do the job and are as "breathable" as other jackets I've had, meaning not very breathable. If it is a warmish rain (above 55F) you will prespire and wet out from the inside.

I had an OR Helium II and the original DWR failed on the pct rendering the jacket useless (replaced with Frogg Toggs). Despite numerous attempts to reestablish the DWR with products like McNetts, it never was the same. To OR's credit they took it back as a warranty item and gave me a store credit. The rep said that the jacket wasn't intended for extremely heavy constant rain which seemed bizzare to me but he took it back and I wasn't going to argue.

scope
03-16-2018, 10:15
A little different here... I don't like wearing a rain jacket, doesn't keep me that warm in camp, and doesn't keep me from getting wet (ifyouknowhatimean). I find that I like rain and getting wet from it while hiking, of course, as long as I have something dry to change into when I stop. This jacket (https://www.sunnysports.com/p-mhwqjmlrsh/mountain-hardwear-quasar-insulated-jacket-for-men-large-shark?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1q3VBRCFARIsAPHJXrEgFGXZ3JjoPS h5OAomSO3FlklFmgjCRW9koeDOV0LzRgoroXO4a8YaAvfZEALw _wcB&kwid=productads-adid^81355814283-device^c-plaid^77627196586-sku^MHWQJMLRSH@ADL4SS-adType^PLA) has been perfect for me... actually I have the anorak version, but I'd probably recommend getting the full zip - for the few times I wear when hiking, I wish I did have the full zip.

saltysack
03-16-2018, 11:46
I use the Frogg Toggs and find them unbeatable for the money and you just get a new $20 suit when the old one wears out. They do the job and are as "breathable" as other jackets I've had, meaning not very breathable. If it is a warmish rain (above 55F) you will prespire and wet out from the inside.

I had an OR Helium II and the original DWR failed on the pct rendering the jacket useless (replaced with Frogg Toggs). Despite numerous attempts to reestablish the DWR with products like McNetts, it never was the same. To OR's credit they took it back as a warranty item and gave me a store credit. The rep said that the jacket wasn't intended for extremely heavy constant rain which seemed bizzare to me but he took it back and I wasn't going to argue.

I had same issue with first generation helium and warranty replaced with newer model seems much better....OR has great CS!

CalebJ
03-16-2018, 14:10
Below 50* I'll carry a decent rain jacket. Marmot Precip or something similarly waterproof and light weight. Much warmer than that and I'd rather accept hiking while wet and just carry a Houdini or similar. I sweat enough that even a well vented and breathable jacket usually leaves me soaked from the inside anyway unless I'm just standing around in camp.

Coffee
03-16-2018, 19:28
I had same issue with first generation helium and warranty replaced with newer model seems much better....OR has great CS!

I was ready to accept a replacement until the rep said the Helium wasn't meant for "heavy constant rain" which threw me for a loop. Here's the quote from his email. I mean, of course I expect a rain jacket to perform in a heavy rainfall ... so I just got a store credit and have used Frogg Toggs since then...

"Did you ever take the Helium II out in a heavy rainfall? The Helium II is made to withstand up to a moderate rainfall, but a very high volume of water will actually wash out the DWR coating and cause the jacket to fail. The Helium II is the meeting of lightweight and waterproofness, so you will be sacrificing some degree of waterproofness with the Helium II."

Shrewd
03-17-2018, 09:00
I was ready to accept a replacement until the rep said the Helium wasn't meant for "heavy constant rain" which threw me for a loop. Here's the quote from his email. I mean, of course I expect a rain jacket to perform in a heavy rainfall ... so I just got a store credit and have used Frogg Toggs since then...

"Did you ever take the Helium II out in a heavy rainfall? The Helium II is made to withstand up to a moderate rainfall, but a very high volume of water will actually wash out the DWR coating and cause the jacket to fail. The Helium II is the meeting of lightweight and waterproofness, so you will be sacrificing some degree of waterproofness with the Helium II."

I never knew that.

Makes sense I suppose, but...damn.

It certainly wets out quickly in any real storm, that’s for sure

HikerHarry
05-01-2018, 20:51
What I'm finding frustrating is finding a rain jacket long enough to completely cover my down jacket. Don't hike in the down jacket covered with the rain coat, but for in camp. I'm tall and wear XL and have a down jacket with 30" back length, but a lot of rain jackets are only 28" or 29". Tried the Sierra Designs Cagoule and also Ultralight Trench. Length I want, but material sucked. Wetted out after a very short time in the rain. Thinking of trying Precip Tall or a Packa.

BuckeyeBill
05-01-2018, 21:55
What I'm finding frustrating is finding a rain jacket long enough to completely cover my down jacket. Don't hike in the down jacket covered with the rain coat, but for in camp. I'm tall and wear XL and have a down jacket with 30" back length, but a lot of rain jackets are only 28" or 29". Tried the Sierra Designs Cagoule and also Ultralight Trench. Length I want, but material sucked. Wetted out after a very short time in the rain. Thinking of trying Precip Tall or a Packa.

Have you check out the Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/sizing.html). I have one and it works great. YMMV

HikerHarry
05-01-2018, 22:13
Have you check out the Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/sizing.html). I have one and it works great. YMMV

That is one of the options I am considering. Thanks for the input!

BuckeyeBill
05-02-2018, 01:31

No problem. I won't go into how I store my tarp and suspension system other than to say the tarp is in the same area as where the rain jacket is stored.

Deacon
05-02-2018, 06:02

I’ve tried several different rain jackets and IMHO, the Packa has the most coverage and is the most ventilated of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HeartFire
05-02-2018, 08:53
https://sectionhiker.com/the-north-face-hyperair-gtx-trail-rain-jacket-review/

Runner2017
05-02-2018, 16:01
REI got TNF HyperAir 50% off plus additional 20% off the MSRP a few weeks ago. So basically it's $100 a pop.
https://sectionhiker.com/the-north-face-hyperair-gtx-trail-rain-jacket-review/

Runner2017
05-02-2018, 16:02
Checkout Outdoor Research Interstellar jacket.