PDA

View Full Version : Question for quilt users

DanTaylor
11-25-2017, 16:14
I have been wanting to switch over to a quilt, mostly because I do not like the confines of a bag. My question, pads makes me sweat unless I have a sufficient amount of material between my body and the pad. I have never used a quilt before so how do you keep the pad from making you sweat?

sethd513
11-25-2017, 16:34
I just got home from a trip. It was 32* in the tent and I used my 40* quilt and xtherm. I wore a base layer, fleece hoodie and down pants to bed with a set of heavy socks. When I first got in my legs were very warm. Almost felt like they were perspiring. Fell asleep and around 1am had to throw on my rain coat and down coat and I was toasty again.

If I take ibuprofen before I go to sleep I sweat. If I wear to many layers I sweat. I probably could of gotten away with a xlite pad but my thought is that the pad only reflex back what you put out if it’s within the temp rating. A r 1 pad won’t help you much at 10*. But it is said that an xtherm in summer is sticky and warm. I’d rather be able to add or remove layers to be comfortable then fighting an under rated sleeping pad. The con of a quilt is needing a great pad if you are a ground sleeper. The best thing about a quilt though is being able to vent your feet, kick a leg out, cover your chest cover your legs or button up tight. I don’t think it’s your pad, I think it’s something above it. Definitely get a quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX Aggie
11-25-2017, 17:52
If you’re using a mummy bag, it’s pretty easy to see what a quilt is like: just leave it unzipped and put the opening under you. The hood might get in the way a small bit, but it can generally be folded away.
If you’re worried about contact with the pad, a thin base layer should be plenty.

Good luck. I’ve been using quilts for about a year, but honestly it’s been in hammocks and not on the ground. But I did go thru the same issue with feeling the hammock material under me.

Pastor Bryon
11-25-2017, 17:58
I wear wool baselayers, and sometimes sleep in Sea 2 Summit liner as well.

hoohyde
11-25-2017, 19:24
I use the fitted sheet for my pad by thermarest. Not sure if that would help you but i like it and it works great with my quilt.

Sandy of PA
11-25-2017, 20:25
Nightgown for me, if it is too hot I put it under me instead of wearing it. Sometimes I use my Coolmax bag liner as sheet, my Thermarest fits inside.

Huntmog
11-25-2017, 20:26
Shirt and shorts work for me. Except on the dead of summer when ill wear just shorts. Feels slightly weird but still better than a mumny

garlic08
11-25-2017, 21:41
I take off my clothes and put them on the pad.

Odd Man Out
11-25-2017, 23:28
I lie on top of my quilt until I start getting cold, then I get underneath of it. If it's a warm night I will fall asleep on top of the quilt and maybe wake up in the middle of the night needing to get under it, but then I go back to sleep right away. I find the time when I laying on top of my quilt cooling down to be one my favorite times of day.

Maineiac64
11-25-2017, 23:33
I use a sheet when its hot and my sleeping clothes when its cool enough.

Dogwood
11-25-2017, 23:34
I look at quilt use in a tent or under a tarp the same way as if I'm employing a zippered mummy sleeping bag:
1) I'm not employing an overly warm quilt or sleeping bag
2) My clothing is an integral part of the warmth of the sleep system hence rarely am I not wearing clothing even under the hottest conditions although I may sleep on part of the quilt under such scenarios
3) Since I'm a toss and turner from side to side sleeper when I'm pushing the quilt warmth limit I'll throw in a slippery 100% silk mummy liner

Under the warmest conditions I may avoid an inflatable pad altogether and throw a thin CCF pad into the sleep system to which I find, when wearing boxers/clean hiking shorts/tee, I less stick to. Washing away the sweat and grime of the day then allowing to totally dry before laying down also helps from sticking to a sleeping pad.

AllDownhillFromHere
11-26-2017, 09:35
I lie on top of my quilt until I start getting cold, then I get underneath of it. If it's a warm night I will fall asleep on top of the quilt and maybe wake up in the middle of the night needing to get under it, but then I go back to sleep right away. I find the time when I laying on top of my quilt cooling down to be one my favorite times of day.
This. I find I can't fall asleep until my metabolism quiets down.

bigcranky
11-26-2017, 09:43
Very light wool base layers. I sleep in these every night on the trail.

KDogg
11-26-2017, 21:29
I like to think of my sleep system as a layered system just like your hiking clothes system will be. Mine consisted of the pad, a sleeping bag liner, a quilt and sleep clothes. For the entire first half of my hike I was wearing wool leggings and long sleeve shirt. When it was really cold I added my puffy, gloves, fleece socks and a hat. It got that cold! I added the bag liner to try and keep even warmer. A liner is also recommended to keep your bag clean/er. With all those layers it was easy to adjust sleeping temperature. Towards the end of my hike I was just sleeping in just my liner with my undies on. I never had any problem with sweating on my pad and I am a hot sleeper and sweat a lot. My quilt is a 40 degree and there were a few nights where it was a bit uncomfortable (it snowed twice in May during my hike) but overall worked well. The one thing I didn't do that, in retrospect, would have helped was bring the mat straps that came with my quilt. I didn't really understand what they were before my hike so didn't bring them. It would have helped on those really cold nights.

Dogwood
11-27-2017, 14:48
KDogg...same here.

blw2
11-27-2017, 22:39
I haven't found my pads sweaty exactly, but I do find that they are not the most comfortable thing. I have used a sheet several times when car camping and weight or bulk wasn't an issue, and have long intended to modify a sheet into a more form-fitting fitted sheet to reduce movement and wrinkles. I do find the sheet to be a bit more comfortable, but it does add weight and bulk

hoohyde
11-27-2017, 22:59
they make fitted sheets for self inflated pads. I used to use a sheet but I found it slid around too much and the fitted one worked much better.

QiWiz
11-29-2017, 13:14
I have been wanting to switch over to a quilt, mostly because I do not like the confines of a bag. My question, pads makes me sweat unless I have a sufficient amount of material between my body and the pad. I have never used a quilt before so how do you keep the pad from making you sweat?

I always have some kind of clothing layer between me and the pad (I use a NeoAir mostly). When it's hot, it's very thin silkskins; when it's not, it's a merino layer often augmented by whatever I've been wearing in camp. I look at quilts and other sleeping insulation as just the extra layer I wear at night while sleeping. I do quilts into the low 20's F; in teens or lower temps I use oversized sleeping bags. YMMV.

Ashepabst
11-30-2017, 12:50
when i wont be wearing long base layers i'll bring my bag liner and fit it over the sleeping pad to act as a sheet.

theinfamousj
11-30-2017, 22:20
when i wont be wearing long base layers i'll bring my bag liner and fit it over the sleeping pad to act as a sheet.Same here.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Redbird2
12-04-2017, 15:31
I made the switch from a mummy bag to a quilt a while back for the reason you mention. I was never comfortable being so confined. I move around a lot. The quilt just works better for me. Sweating has never been an issue. Keeping warm is more of an issue for me.