PDA

View Full Version : GOOD and the BAD and some worthless thoughts

skinnbones
11-25-2017, 21:41
Well, my thru hike attempt failed and so I now join the section hiker family. Some thoughts on my 200 miles on the trail. The approach trail was torture, so why did I hike that? Hawk Mountain tent site was awesome. Tenting at the cheese factory was also great. The worst tent site by far was Muskrat shelter. Good was Georgia > no rain. Bad was North Carolina > all rain. Bad was Neel Gap > many hikers caught a virus. Good was NOC > shower, food, and laundry. Good was Ron Haven in both Hiawassee and Franklin > free pick up and cheap rooms. Bad was packing a useless piece of shi* poncho. Unexpected feeling of "that wasn't bad at all" > Blood Mountain. Unexpected shock of "this hills a bitc*" > Albert Mountain. Enjoyed Fontana dam and didn't enjoy first half of the Smokies. Good was sharing the trail with some wonderful hikers and the bad was not taking care of myself and forced to exit thru hike dream. The best part of hiking the Appalachian Trail is that even at days end and you retire your boots for the evening the bad or tough moments were still great and worth it.

Traffic Jam
11-25-2017, 23:19
Welcome to the family. :welcome

Carl7
11-25-2017, 23:45
Every section is a new adventure. You will have a blast. Enjoy!

El JP
11-26-2017, 03:44
Other than the stairs, what really makes the approach trail torture? I understand that it's early and the body possibly isn't used to the grind but i'm really curious because of stories read of people giving up before even reaching Springer.

skinnbones
11-26-2017, 05:11
You said it... body wasn't used to the grind yet. The approach trail may not be part of the A.T., but it's still hiking so it's all good.

LIhikers
11-26-2017, 07:55
My wife and I have been section hiking for years, and love it.
You get to choose the dates, where to start and end, which direction to hike, what season to hike in and the list goes on and on.
We see all that as positives. We've been working a plan that calls for us to finish the northern half of the trail by retirement and then do the southern half as one journey.
So far we've walked from Harper's Ferry to Stratton, Maine and had a blast doing it.
Welcome to the club, I hope you have as much enjoyment doing sections as we have.

Lone Wolf
11-26-2017, 08:10
what really makes the approach trail torture? i'm really curious because of stories read of people giving up before even reaching Springer.

cuz lotsa folks start the trail way over weight and not fit. and a lot of them have never backpacked before. fantasy and reality

egilbe
11-26-2017, 08:18
cuz lotsa folks start the trail way over weight and not fit. and a lot of them have never backpacked before. fantasy and reality

“What are you doing this weekend?”
“We’re going hiking”
”I want to go hiking! Is hiking fun?”
pause
”No, but its something we enjoy”

Conversation with an overweight waitress one morning.

skinnbones
11-26-2017, 09:30
LIhikers> outstanding!

soumodeler
11-26-2017, 09:45
Other than the stairs, what really makes the approach trail torture? I understand that it's early and the body possibly isn't used to the grind but i'm really curious because of stories read of people giving up before even reaching Springer.
The Approach is far easier than most people make it out to be. It being day one is a lot of it. Your body is used to sitting around and is rebelling against walking. The stairs don’t help of course, but you can skip them if desired. My last trip I started at the top of the falls. I can do the stairs any time I feel like getting a good workout in.

The people that that start with the Approach then get a full day of easy trail to recover from day one. The trail from Springer to Hawk is easy compared to the rest of Georgia. A good majority of hikers end day 2 at Hawk Mountain. Day 3 begins the harder parts, but your body has had 17 miles to get adjusted and it no longer seems as hard.

Tipi Walter
11-26-2017, 11:03
“What are you doing this weekend?”
“We’re going hiking”
”I want to go hiking! Is hiking fun?”
pause
”No, but its something we enjoy”

Conversation with an overweight waitress one morning.

My definition of backpacking is "Managing Discomfort."

Malto
11-26-2017, 17:01
When I lived in Atlanta I used to trail run the approach trail up to Hawk Mountain and back. Given that I ran even much of the uphill gives you some indication that it's not that bad. What makes it bad is arriving at the trail in couch shape and carrying too much gear. How do you know if you have too much? When you are tempted (or do) leave unneeded gear on the first climb after the falls. I have gathered up a lot of stuff including bear canisters, axes, cans of food and various other crap. Come prepared then the approach trail is not a big deal.

RockDoc
11-26-2017, 21:44
So embrace section hiking already. On each trip you will bring new perspective that you formerly lacked. As you get older, you see the trail and other hikers differently. As you learn more, you appreciate more. As you gain more skill, things get easier.

The whole thru bit is overrated in my opinion, and I've spent hundreds, scratch that, thousands of days on trails.

Old Hiker
11-26-2017, 22:12
skinnbones: (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/52214-skinnbones)

I did 500 miles in 2012. Slipped and twisted severely and broke my right ankle. I thought I had my one shot. I was done.

After about a year, I got kinda pissed - how DARE I slip in a perfectly flat place after hiking 500 miles over rocks, hills, mountains, etc. etc. ? I decided to try again. Gear changes because of 500 miles of experience, food changes, planning changes, etc. etc. etc.

2016 - completed my thru in 7 months, 3 days. RockDoc states the "whole thru bit is overrated", but as he/she said, that's his/her opinion. I took have hiked a lot, but being able to call myself a "Thru-hiker" was something I wanted for MYSELF.

Trail is still there. If YOU want, you can try again and make it.

Take care - HYOH.

El JP
11-27-2017, 03:10
After reading and studying multiple videos and pictures of the stairs as well as the section up to
Neels Gap, i figured it would be best to have a lighter pack than what i see i lot of FNGs hauling up to Springer. Still working on a gear list but the last thing i want to do is break down before even making it out of Georgia so i'll probably try thinning out gear until Fontana. Also beginning PT on some steps at a nearby cliff with the infamous stairs in mind.

DownEaster
11-27-2017, 05:29
Lighter is good, up to a point. There's a rule of thumb that your pack should not exceed 25% of your body weight, and I'd certainly agree with that. However, I'd shoot for a weight at which you're not encumbered by your pack: that is, you move just the same as if you weren't carrying it. For me, I'm comfortable carrying 15% of my weight all day, and there's no noticeable benefit in reducing the weight further. I've got a fairly rugged body (large bones), so this rule of thumb might not apply to everyone. But I think it's nice to be able to tote some camp shoes (Crocs) along, and not worry about that extra 12.4 ounces. I'm not going to suffer from carrying that extra bit of weight all day, every day, but my feet will enjoy the chance to dry off and breathe.

You make tradeoffs to be able to accomplish and enjoy the hike. More weight on your back is bad, but (for me, at least) not significantly bad, while being able to take better care of yourself with that extra gear is sometimes very good. Feet especially deserve good treatment.

skinnbones
11-27-2017, 07:36
Old hiker> Took awhile but I'm ok with becoming a section hiker. Planning next hike from Clingman's Dome (Where I ended hike) to Harpers Ferry. I just have to finish the entire trail whichever method works. Thanks for your comment.

fiddlehead
11-27-2017, 10:24
Most people don't like hills.
(why they take up hiking the AT is a mystery to me)

I've come to this conclusion when going through airports and seeing the escalators.
People will rush to get up when the fasten seatbelt goes when the plane stops at the end of it's journey, yet, they almost ALL will stop and do nothing when hitting the uphill escalator.
I could never figure this out.
I always take the steps.
I like hilils.

Approach trail is just a couple of hills.

Gambit McCrae
11-27-2017, 11:32
I relate to all your comments except the southern smokies however I do the smokies nobo and sobo starting at clingmans. I also did the approach sobo because I did from Clingmans to springer sobo however I cant really think that the approach was that bad after now completing some of the more iconic climbs further north.

My 2 cents about going forward as a section hiker
-Be proud that your first section hike was 200 miles long..longer then most first section hikes
-To eliminate gaps in the trail always start off where you ended the last trip..I picked and chose what was appealing until I was left with boring trail and a few small gaps that had to be completed
-Don't think less of your section hike then you would have completing a thru hike. Its all just walking

Puddlefish
11-27-2017, 13:24
Well, my thru hike attempt failed and so I now join the section hiker family. Some thoughts on my 200 miles on the trail. The approach trail was torture, so why did I hike that? Hawk Mountain tent site was awesome. Tenting at the cheese factory was also great. The worst tent site by far was Muskrat shelter. Good was Georgia > no rain. Bad was North Carolina > all rain. Bad was Neel Gap > many hikers caught a virus. Good was NOC > shower, food, and laundry. Good was Ron Haven in both Hiawassee and Franklin > free pick up and cheap rooms. Bad was packing a useless piece of shi* poncho. Unexpected feeling of "that wasn't bad at all" > Blood Mountain. Unexpected shock of "this hills a bitc*" > Albert Mountain. Enjoyed Fontana dam and didn't enjoy first half of the Smokies. Good was sharing the trail with some wonderful hikers and the bad was not taking care of myself and forced to exit thru hike dream. The best part of hiking the Appalachian Trail is that even at days end and you retire your boots for the evening the bad or tough moments were still great and worth it.

Congrats on making it a few hundred miles. I was bummed when injury forced me off the trail earlier than I wanted.

I do find it amusing that I had near opposite reactions to some of the sites you mentioned. The rain didn't bother me much, loved my umbrella! Neels Gap was great, NOC was bad, I found Ron kind of creepy, reverse feelings for Blood and Albert mountains, hated the road walk at Fontana Dam, loved the Smokies, even in snow. For me, most of my enjoyment depended on my daily attitude, more so than the environment. So, while one uphill felt like a slog, another equally difficult uphill might feel like a fun challenging adventure.

But, I agree the best part was sharing the trail with a lot of wonderful hikers.

skinnbones
11-27-2017, 13:47
fiddlehead> I never really could express into words my thoughts too well. I'm glad I did the approach trail. I always planned to and when the time came I did just that. But it was an eye opener considering I've never worn a backpack until that morning. I was whooped when I reached the top of Springer.

egilbe
11-27-2017, 14:01
But it was an eye opener considering I've never worn a backpack until that morning. I was whooped when I reached the top of Springer.

Just wait until you get to New England! I can't wait until I can get down South where the trails are easier. Mahoosuc Notch Killed me, although it was fun! The Mahoosuc Trail in NH and Maine is done of the toughest I've done. I can see why through-hiker are so despairing when the get to Maine and why Sobos have a higher completion rate.

Stone1984
11-27-2017, 16:59
I may be in the minority but I was not impressed with Hawk Mtn Tent sites.

Dogwood
11-27-2017, 18:24
Some perspective and suggestions:

Consider not categorizing into just two narrow categories - good and bad.

Your thoughts are truly not worthless. Thoughts fully developed turn into action, habits, and behaviors. That is not to say some thoughts are not more desirable than others.

I regularly hear people making statements like: "Our 30 yr marriage was a failure"(because it ended in divorce), "my child is a complete failure"(because he or she didn't complete a college degree or was arrested or had conceived a child out of marriage...),...So all those moments in a 30 yr marriage can be categorized as failure? There were never a multitude, possible a virtual infinite number, of successful moments? So, a child no matter how much they stumble never succeeded at anything?

Define your experiences as you want but perhaps it's worth considering there were many successes on your thru-hike, even an overall success. Perhaps, redefine a thru-hike as you define it, as you did it? Many already do that.

Some readings that have assisted me in gaining perspective:

The Noticer and The Travelers Gift by Andy Andrews
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
The Way of Zen by Alan Watts
Man's Search for Meaning by Ann Frankl

Christoph
11-27-2017, 18:33
Just wait until you get to New England! I can't wait until I can get down South where the trails are easier. Mahoosuc Notch Killed me, although it was fun! The Mahoosuc Trail in NH and Maine is done of the toughest I've done. I can see why through-hiker are so despairing when the get to Maine and why Sobos have a higher completion rate.

I can vouch for this. Just finished my NOBO thru hike this year. The 2 hardest states were NH and Maine, hands down. Although the most fun (I like a challenge), they were the hardest for me. I tried a thru attempt in '15, made it 750 miles, then pulled off trail. Not due to injury, but losing too much weight/way too fast. I was lucky enough to try again this year and I made it. Thru hiking takes a trendous toll on the body and you have to have the time. My brother is section hiking the whole thing and he has more fun in all the planning and logistics that goes along with it. Keep it up and have fun out there!

skinnbones
11-27-2017, 19:03
egilbe> after a few days I was fine. But yes, I hear the northern half is a lot of work.

skinnbones
11-27-2017, 19:05
Dogwood> well said.

Deacon
11-29-2017, 09:11
I can vouch for this. Just finished my NOBO thru hike this year. The 2 hardest states were NH and Maine, hands down. Although the most fun (I like a challenge), they were the hardest for me.

I’ll vouch for your vouch. I thought the approach trail wasn’t difficult at all with a total pack weight of 20 lbs. I then sectioned the first 12 states over three years, and experienced some challenging parts.

In year four (2017), the day I got to Moosilake at the start of the Whites, I got a very rude awakening. The terrain turned almost vicious. My attitude shifted from “joyous, exhilarating, easy going”, to a sense of “unbelievable, oh-my-god, who-in-hell-designed-this-Trail”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deacon
11-29-2017, 09:17
Besides the terrain, the weather can be quite different than the southern states. This year I was on Mt Success at mile 1901 on July 6th, and it was sleeting so hard it was cutting my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skinnbones
11-29-2017, 16:33
Congrats Thumper!