PDA

View Full Version : How do you fix pinholes in nylon shells?

Dogwood
11-26-2017, 13:55
I've a few very small burn pinholes that are only one layer deep(only nylon shell is affected) that I would like to repair. These are located in a high end down vest black in color on the chest side in a conspicuous area. I desire a clean soft repair. I don't want a hard dot(Seam Grip) or conspicuous patch or sewn spot. What have others done?

nsherry61
11-26-2017, 14:02
Clear Tenacious tape (https://www.gearaid.com/products/tenacious-tape) is visible, but subtle, flexible, and truly tenacious. It will last for years. It is also available from most any outdoor store.

Dogwood
11-26-2017, 14:36
Thx Nsherry. I've tried this before and still do it but the down sticks to the tape showing a conspicuous hole in the clear tape. Perhaps, a dot of opaque black Tenacious Tape would work though which I'm considering. I know I've some sitting around.

Tipi Walter
11-26-2017, 14:40
I have found clear tenacious tape to peel on the edges over time and to discolor. Any ripstop tape will peel over time and leave an ugly glue stain in its place. But when push comes to shove in the field on a trip, esp with shells holding in goose down, well, I use your standard McNetts ripstop tape to cover the hole. In a couple years it starts to peel off so I remove it and replace with a new patch. And ugly patch is alot better than a hole losing goose down.

For my silnylon tent fly pinholes I use McNetts silnet sealer glue and it works great.

Sandy of PA
11-26-2017, 20:14
Walmart sells black nylon repair patches in the sewing department, I have used to patch thorn holes in my umbrella.

Berserker
11-27-2017, 13:39
I've a few very small burn pinholes that are only one layer deep(only nylon shell is affected) that I would like to repair. These are located in a high end down vest black in color on the chest side in a conspicuous area. I desire a clean soft repair. I don't want a hard dot(Seam Grip) or conspicuous patch or sewn spot. What have others done?
Sounds like you've tried Seam Grip (the McNett stuff)? I've used that to fix very small holes, and when it dries it always dries to a flexible rubber consistency. So not sure how you are getting a hard dot. Maybe smear the area with a very thin layer, and that might keep you from getting the hard dot...you could even do a couple of thin layers (apply, let dry, repeat).

gwb
12-02-2017, 09:07
I’ve used a small dab of silicone in the past and it’s worked well having held up for years. I’m only talking about tiny holes, like you said pin size

rocketsocks
12-02-2017, 10:55
Use some hole punched tenacious tape dots.