PDA

View Full Version : Maryland mid to late December

Bum Ditty
11-26-2017, 18:26
I am lucky enough to have about 11 days off mid to late December and was thinking of section hiking Maryland given I could find a good 4-5 day weather window-little precipitation and non-record breaking cold temperatures. I haven't done much hiking in actual winter but have encountered some pretty cold/windy/light snow conditions in the Smokies and in New England in the shoulder seasons. I would appreciate any info on the general trail and water conditions that time of year.

Thanks!

Teacher & Snacktime
11-26-2017, 18:33
Maryland is great in the winter. With the exception of High Rock, there are no really tricky climbs that would be iffy with ice. We did it last year in January, and breezed through in 4 (or 5?) days.

TX Aggie
11-27-2017, 00:46
December in Maryland typically isn’t bad weather wise. On the AT you may find a little ice in the mornings, but daytimes are still above freezing on most days. January and February are the colder/snowier months.

Enjoy your hike.

chknfngrs
11-27-2017, 08:46
Frost free spigots at PenMar, Washington monument state park, Dahlgren and Gathland State park.

RockDoc
11-27-2017, 19:22
I love that section, and have done it in every season. First time was at age 13, Boy Scouts, "the Four State Hike", back when you had to cross the highway bridge and trudge along the highway to get into HF. The nice thing about Winter is that you can see so far in the woods, without leaves on the trees. Love it. If you want an interesting side trip stay a night in the PATC's Bear Creek cabin, quite close to the trail north of Lamb's Knoll.

Bum Ditty
11-29-2017, 11:16
Thanks for the info everyone!

Gambit McCrae
11-29-2017, 13:54
I did Maryland in 2.5 days pretty leisurely. I would say that you could definitely find a 4-5 day window of nice weather...And my suggestion would be to be flexible on your end destination because you will probably not need 4-5 days to walkt he 42 miles. Southern PA is very nice, one of my favorite stretches. You could definitely reach Pine Grove Furnace in a 5 day stretch.

If you are including the 460 mile one way drive in with your 5 days then discard my suggestion and 5 days with 900 miles round trip with 42 trail miles would be a realistic goal, but if you have 5 days to actually walk then I would look at a further distance.