PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With storing water in my pack!

Thumper 2006
02-07-2006, 21:25
I'm using the Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack, but have found fully packed, there is no where to put a water bottle what do I do? I use Gatorade bottles, and there is no it will fit. I then tried the nalgene, it would not fit either. Where do I store the water in this pack?

TwoForty
02-07-2006, 22:18
You can get a nalgene bottle holder with a loop on the back so it will fit on your hipbelt. It looks like a water bottle parka, but it's not insulated and it has no top. Mine weighs 3.8oz and was $9 ar REI (Lowe Alpine). You can also try enlarging the pockets, sewing a larger pocket, or sewing something up like the water bottle holster on a large Gregory pack. You can also get some velcro strips and strap the water bottle to the shoulder straps, like a golite pack. Makes for good balance.

A quick question, if you don't mind. How much does your vapor trail comfortably hold? I have about 17-18lbs worht of stuff to put in it, plus water and 6 days off food.

Thumper 2006
02-07-2006, 22:24
The pack holds gear great. I am having to stap a few things to the outside, like my crocs and my sleeping pad, but other than that it is a great pack.

orangebug
02-07-2006, 22:25
The Dana Wet Rib is another way to attach a water bottle, maps and a few munchies like a belly pack. It is not waterproof, so avoid putting paper in it unless in Ziplock. You could make a mesh pocket for most any pack on the side of your belt or the pack. You could carry water, especially bladders, in the top pocket of your pack.

Kerosene
02-08-2006, 10:48
It sounds like you might be overstuffing the bottom of your pack, squeezing out the space you need to put a water bottle in one or both of the side pockets.

Look for thinner 1 liter water bottles (the Gatorade bottles are pretty chubby if I recall). Put the bottles in the pockets before you pack the main compartment. You might also need to consider a lighter, more compressible down sleeping bag (assuming that's near the bottom) to give yourself some more space.

I believe that the newer versions of the VT have a compartment for a water bladder. Alternatively, some folks lash their bladder to the top of the pack using the closure straps.

hammock engineer
02-08-2006, 11:46
I just got the Vapor Trail. I use the MSR dom. lite Hydration system. You might want to look into that one or another brand. Mine fits well into the hydration sleve in the pack. That way you don't have to stop hiking to take a drink.

Footslogger
02-08-2006, 12:40
I'm using the Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack, but have found fully packed, there is no where to put a water bottle what do I do? I use Gatorade bottles, and there is no it will fit. I then tried the nalgene, it would not fit either. Where do I store the water in this pack?
====================================
I do 2 things. First, I take a 1.8 Liter Platypus and wrap it in the storm collar and then secure it with the securing straps. I now have the "LID" which I had not gotten during my thru, so securing the bladder is really easy.

Second, I took some light weight shock cord and rigged a holder on one of the sholder straps. I carry a 20 oz gatorade bottle there that I fill with tang/gatorade in the morning and then refill with water during the day.

That system worked very well for me on my thru.

'Slogger

Thumper 2006
02-08-2006, 14:39
If I get a hydration bag how many liters should the bag be to fit in the vapor trail

neo
02-08-2006, 14:42

try the 24oz sports gatorade bottlesone in each side:cool: neo

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=51423942&pfp=BROWSE

Footslogger
02-08-2006, 14:45
If I get a hydration bag how many liters should the bag be to fit in the vapor trail
===================================
Really a matter of personal choice/preference. For starters ...I wouldn't use the internal bladder pouch in the Vapor Trail. Your bladder ends up being burried under stuff and the bladder is smashed up against your back.

Size-wise, the 1.8 Liter Platy is the best. It lays nicely horizonally on top of the pack and has approximately the same dimensions as the pack when it's full. Once you have it wrapped in the storm collar just drape the hose over your shoulder and you're ready to go. One thing though ...I would recommend you get a on/off valve for the hose so that it doesn't leak/drip. In order to do that I took the hose off an old Camelback and used the Camelback valve. Works great and I've never (knock on wood) yet had a leak.

'Slogger

Alligator
02-08-2006, 15:42
My 2.5 l platypus fits in there. I have a 3l but I won't be back home for a couple of days to give you an answer.

bulldog49
02-08-2006, 15:57
Yep, can't beat the platy for weight and convenience. :clap

hammock engineer
02-09-2006, 12:40
My 2L also fits pretty well into the compartment. My MSR hydration system weights 5.4 oz with the tube. I went with that one b/c it seems more durable than the Platypus ones, but I never used one.

SteveJ
02-13-2006, 01:13

I routinely put 2L of water in a platy in the hydration sleeve of my VT. If you are overstuffing the pack (for ex. at the beginning of a hike), you'll prolly want to fill the bladder and put it in the sleeve first - it slides in more easily that way. I have also been able to slip it in with a full pack, tho.... I really like the convenience of the separate hydration sleeve - one of the reasons I got the VT.....

Disney
02-13-2006, 01:39
that's alot of info. Here's my take. If you attach the nalgene to the outside of your pack using the hanger with the loop, don't use the loop. Get the kind that also has a belt slot. I used the loop till it broke after about two months. Then I switched to the belt slot. Much more stable anyway.

Lilred
02-13-2006, 12:59
I carry one liter bottles hanging from my shoulder straps with a caribiner. I attach my sternum strap over the caribiners and the bottles don't bounce at all. Do you have loops on your shoulder straps?

kyhipo
02-13-2006, 13:02
I use the little mini bungie cords the work well.ky,either hook them like previously posted or take some duct tape and put the cord around it and tape it to heck.

silver
02-14-2006, 09:02
I second the Dana Wet Rib. It will hold your camera, data book,couple of candy bars in addition to water bottle. I have sewed a couple of additional pockets on the front of it to hold my compass, small container of iodine pills and similar for deet. Only draw back would be the rib against you blocks a small amount of area to cooling. It's standard gear for me.

cheaphiker
02-14-2006, 19:28

If you just want to just use the nalgene for carrying water, you can replpace the cap with bladder hose/cap that REI and other retailers sale, and that way you can stow your nalgene inthe sleeve inside the vapor trail and use your bottle/hose combo like a regular hydration bladder, and still use your side pockets for maps, sancks and small stuff.

Seeker
02-14-2006, 23:16
If you just want to just use the nalgene for carrying water, you can replace the cap with bladder hose/cap that REI and other retailers sale, and that way you can stow your nalgene in the sleeve inside the vapor trail and use your bottle/hose combo like a regular hydration bladder, and still use your side pockets for maps, snacks and small stuff.

i think the crux of the issue is that the vapor trail HAS no side pockets (but maybe i'm looking at the wrong pictures...) and because of the compression straps on the sides, you can't readily sew pockets on to hold water bottles... hard to say, but if you've not looked at that as a solution already, maybe it's worth trying... anyone out there done it? i sewed two pockets on my GoLite Gust for my water bottles/fuel bottle, and it makes life a little easier...

hammock engineer
02-15-2006, 01:06
i think the crux of the issue is that the vapor trail HAS no side pockets (but maybe i'm looking at the wrong pictures...) and because of the compression straps on the sides, you can't readily sew pockets on to hold water bottles... hard to say, but if you've not looked at that as a solution already, maybe it's worth trying... anyone out there done it? i sewed two pockets on my GoLite Gust for my water bottles/fuel bottle, and it makes life a little easier...

Mine has pockets, they are hard to see on a pic. The problem with them is that they are under the side compression straps and hard to get to when you are wearing the pack. Bot impossible, but not as easy as other packs.

Seeker
02-15-2006, 11:32
Mine has pockets, they are hard to see on a pic. The problem with them is that they are under the side compression straps and hard to get to when you are wearing the pack. Not impossible, but not as easy as other packs.

i looked at a picture on the GG website, and i see what you're talking about... more like a flat pocket than a bellows pocket... any chance you could cut them off and sew a more practical one on in its place? maybe you could route the compression strap along the back of the pocket, and a water bottle could fit inside, in front of the strap... they sell some sort of mesh-like cloth (like football jerseys are made from) at walmart, and i'm sure you could get real mesh at joanne fabric...

of course, it may all be to much work too...

Alligator
02-15-2006, 11:50
i looked at a picture on the GG website, and i see what you're talking about... more like a flat pocket than a bellows pocket... any chance you could cut them off and sew a more practical one on in its place? maybe you could route the compression strap along the back of the pocket, and a water bottle could fit inside, in front of the strap... they sell some sort of mesh-like cloth (like football jerseys are made from) at walmart, and i'm sure you could get real mesh at joanne fabric...

of course, it may all be to much work too...
The pockets are made out of stretchy fine mesh, like a very thick women's nylon. I can stuff my 8X10 tarp in one pocket with the inside loaded up, my fuel bottle in the other.

"ME & U"
02-15-2006, 12:00
No one mentioned it so I must. My hottie "ME" uses the vapor and she's had good luck with 1L Listerine bottles. Got a shot glass to boot!