PDA

View Full Version : Great deal on a great tent Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2 Tent - 2 Person $164

wordstew
12-01-2017, 09:16
Just saw Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2 Tent - 2 Person-3 Season-Ash/Yellow for $164 at campsaver after you apply coupon dec20.

Looks like a decent deal

JPritch
12-01-2017, 10:06
Very good deal. wow.

Venchka
12-01-2017, 10:56
Only if you think BA makes acceptable products.
Wayne

ADK Walker
12-01-2017, 11:13
I've never ordered from Campsaver but I've been looking to buy the Fly Creek. The reviews on the web are very mixed regarding Campsaver. Have you found the company to be a reputable place to deal with?

wordstew
12-01-2017, 11:43
I've never ordered from Campsaver but I've been looking to buy the Fly Creek. The reviews on the web are very mixed regarding Campsaver. Have you found the company to be a reputable place to deal with?

You might want to check out slickdeals they have a lot of info about this deal...
https://slickdeals.net/f/10972903-big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-ul-2-tent-2-person-3-season-164-5

DownEaster
12-01-2017, 11:55
Unfortunately Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2 Tent - 2 Person, 3 Season is no longer carried by CampSaver.
That didn't last long.

colorado_rob
12-01-2017, 11:55
I've never ordered from Campsaver but I've been looking to buy the Fly Creek. The reviews on the web are very mixed regarding Campsaver. Have you found the company to be a reputable place to deal with? I have bought a TON of stuff from Campsaver, zero problems whatsoever, though I don't recall having to return anything so haven't tested that aspect.

FWIW, though the BA FC is somewhat disliked by some, I found it to be an excellent tent, used for many years and maybe at least 100 nights. After a couple years of use out here in Colorado, and used exclusively for a JMT thru, I did the first half of my AT hike with mine, then went with a UL zpacks Solo+ for the second half.

The main reason that some dislike the FC is that they say it is hard to get into and out of. Even though I'm old and stiff, I don't seem to have that particular problem with it. A bit "harder" than with a side entry (like the Copper Spur), but still zero issue. Excellent and very popular tent along the AT, at least in 2013-2015.

HooKooDooKu
12-01-2017, 12:20
Are those mixed reviews recent reviews? I do seem to vaguely recall googling them when I 1st heard of them and found a lot of negative reviews. But I think I noticed the negatives were from a long time ago and something made me think that management had changed since the days of the poor reviews.

In any case, I started ordering from Campsaver about 4 years ago and I've been nothing but pleased. I rank them up there with the likes of REI, BackCountry, and Campmor. Over the last several years, I'll likely made more purchases from Campsaver than I have from any one of those other three companies.

And I've had some dealings with customer support, and they've gone great.

Did forget to mention that they changed their website a few months ago... and I haven't been happy with the results.
Apparently the new website runs scripts that the office computer doesn't allow, so I only get some plain text that isn't conducive to shopping. And if I go to their website on my phone, the response atrocious.
So I'll give the latest release of their website a D- for usability, but otherwise an A for customer service.

wordstew
12-01-2017, 12:27
Are those mixed reviews recent reviews?

I started ordering from Campsaver about 4 years ago and I've been nothing but pleased.

I do seem to vaguely recall googling them when I 1st heard of them and found a lot of negative reviews. But I think I noticed the negatives were from a long time ago and something made me think that management had changed since the days of the poor reviews.

In any case, I decided to try them out, and I currently rank them up there with the likes of REI, BackCountry, and Campmor. Over the last several years, I'll likely made more purchases from Campsaver than I have from any one of those other three companies.

If one has not already puled the trigger to buy tt may be a moot point as this deal may soon be dead if it is not already

ADK Walker
12-01-2017, 12:39
Thanks for the many replies. It's good to hear that Campsaver is viable and trusted option. Looks like I missed the sale but will keep the site in mind for the future.

As for the thoughts on the Fly Creek 2, I was concerned about getting through the doorway as well. I have a 20+ year old North Face Lunar Light that is similar in design and it's a bit more uncomfortable for me now to hunch down into then when I bought it two decades ago.

I have the Copper Spur UL3 and love the two side doors. So maybe the CS UL2 is a better option for a solo tent.

I've been compiling info and stats on tents for weeks.

Does anyone else think buying a tent is harder than buying a car?

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. You have a great site here. I've been lurking for a while.

HooKooDooKu
12-01-2017, 12:49
...So maybe the CS UL2 is a better option for a solo tent...
Love my CS UL2 as a solo tent. Used it for a JMT thur. It has P L E N T Y of R O O M such that each night I was able to get ALL my gear INSIDE the tent (i.e. nothing left out even under the vestibules).
The way I've found it easy to use is to set my sleeping pad up on the diagonal of the tent.

D2maine
12-01-2017, 13:06
Only if you think BA makes acceptable products.
Wayne

care to elaborate or just fling poo?

ADK Walker
12-01-2017, 13:17
Great to hear about the CS 2 as a solo. I've been using the Black Diamond First light single wall as my solo tent the past 10 years and it's done well but some nights its way to hot with its limited ventilation.

The research and deal shopping continue (which I actually enjoy doing very much).

wordstew
12-01-2017, 13:18
"As for the thoughts on the Fly Creek 2, I was concerned about getting through the doorway"

If you're two people in the tent then the side door tent is a better way to go. Unless jumping in and out multiple times one person in a Fly Creek 2 should be no problem plenty of room to lounge around.

colorado_rob
12-01-2017, 13:21
"As for the thoughts on the Fly Creek 2, I was concerned about getting through the doorway"

If you're two people in the tent then the side door tent is a better way to go. Unless jumping in and out multiple times one person in a Fly Creek 2 should be no problem plenty of room to lounge around. Yeah, solo the FC is awesome, with two, not so much. Not sure about most folks, but I get into and out of my tent precisely once per day. If you're a night-time pee person, and have to get in/out many times, perhaps that's a good reason for the CS.

FWIW, I own both the CS and the FC, used to use the FC for solo outings, the CS when my wife was with, simple as that.

THEN, of course, we went Cuben/Zpacks/Hexamids.... If the Op has some extra $$$, consider going zpacks !

Hosh
12-01-2017, 15:30
care to elaborate or just fling poo?

He is very consistent about whatever he owns, in this case TT, is the best. Doesn't have any experience or first hand knowledge, just internet fodder & bs opinion.

wordstew
12-01-2017, 17:50
If you missed this deal and you're or on a tight budget you could always take a look at the $120.00 Naturehike 2-man Cloud Up 2 tent (Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 clone)
https://www.naturehike.com/cloud-up-2-ultralight-two-men-tent/

DownEaster
12-01-2017, 19:05
$120.00 Naturehike 2-man Cloud Up 2 tent (Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 clone)
https://www.naturehike.com/cloud-up-2-ultralight-two-men-tent/
$92.78 on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Naturehike-NH15T002-20D-380T-Tent-Outdoor-2Person-Camping-Waterproof-Lightweight/122619694568?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.S EED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D902f4 c546c0e4e23bce41d565b51f0cc%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D 2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D222589453934&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507) right now: no tax, free shipping.

wordstew
12-01-2017, 20:06
"$92.78 on eBay right now: no tax, free shipping."

nice find

ADK Walker
12-01-2017, 20:58
Very nice find! Thanks

Venchka
12-01-2017, 21:22
The bad news: The products break a lot.
The good news: BA fixes the gear over and over.
I’m not fond of the architecture of this tent.
I’ve had much much better service from The North Face, Garuda, MSR and TarpTent tents and Therm-A-Rest pads.
Wayne

Venchka
12-01-2017, 22:07
He is very consistent about whatever he owns, in this case TT, is the best. Doesn't have any experience or first hand knowledge, just internet fodder & bs opinion.
Excuse me? First hand knowledge since 1974. One of my purchases from that year, an REI sleeping bag, is still in service. The Jensen backpack from the same year is still in service.
Are they the best? Probably not. They do work for me.
A little civility goes a long way.
Wayne

Hosh
12-02-2017, 11:15
The bad news: The products break a lot.
The good news: BA fixes the gear over and over.
I’m not fond of the architecture of this tent.
I’ve had much much better service from The North Face, Garuda, MSR and TarpTent tents and Therm-A-Rest pads.
Wayne

Therm a rest breaks alot, well documented here, but no complaints from you. Oh, oh you own the one inflatable Therm a rest pad that makes no noise, sleeps like a temperpedic and last for a lifetime.

Your bias on gear has been well document, if you don't own it, it's not worth anything.

So what personal experience do you have with BA?

reppans
12-02-2017, 13:53
I have an original FC UL2 and am not a big fan (used solo) although it does seem later iterations have some design changes that may have improved some things.
- The slope of my inner and outer doors are such that rain drips to the inside floor with the outer door open, and I can't cook in the vestibule with the outer door closed or risk melting the either the inner floor, or outer door.
- End doorways/vestibules are smaller than side, so the doorway gets cluttered with gear and you can't easily utilize the rear of the tent with boots on. I'm in and out of my tent relatively frequently, since that represents my clean/weather protected floorspace to spread my gear out, and because I like to periodically lie down on my Neoair to relax my back from the constant vertical of hiking, sitting, standing.
- BA spec'd an "as packaged" weight of 2lbs 5oz, I seem to get 2lbs 10oz (+5 for the footprint).

Now use a floorless mid with footprint and inner nest, and for me (YMMV), have gained more useable space, better rain/bug protection, yet lost almost half the weight and bulk. However, mids are not freestanding so tent platforms are out, although you can usually hang a nest from shelter roofs.

ADK Walker
12-02-2017, 15:16
I haven't really thought about using a mid lately. I have an old Black Diamond Megamid that I mainly use for winter camping and one trip through the Emigrant a few years ago.

Who these days is making a good lightweight mid with some sort of bug netting along the bottom?

reppans
12-02-2017, 23:32
I haven't really thought about using a mid lately. I have an old Black Diamond Megamid that I mainly use for winter camping and one trip through the Emigrant a few years ago.

Who these days is making a good lightweight mid with some sort of bug netting along the bottom?

This might fit the bill....and on sale through the holidays.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/deschutes-plus

Venchka
12-09-2017, 18:53
In the interest of fair play. Thoroughly reliable Moosejaw (IMHO) has the Fly Creek marked down.
https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Big-Agnes-Fly-Creek-HV-UL2-Tent_10333606_10208_10000001_-1_?cm_mmc=Display-_-Remarketing-_-Criteo-_-Active%20+%7C250-350&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Remarketing&ad_id=Remarketing&utm_campaign=Big-Agnes-Fly-Creek-HV-UL2-Tent
Wayne

ADK Walker
12-10-2017, 13:27
This might fit the bill....and on sale through the holidays.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/deschutes-plus

Thanks, I'll check them out.

ADK Walker
12-10-2017, 13:28
In the interest of fair play. Thoroughly reliable Moosejaw (IMHO) has the Fly Creek marked down.
https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Big-Agnes-Fly-Creek-HV-UL2-Tent_10333606_10208_10000001_-1_?cm_mmc=Display-_-Remarketing-_-Criteo-_-Active%20+%7C250-350&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Remarketing&ad_id=Remarketing&utm_campaign=Big-Agnes-Fly-Creek-HV-UL2-Tent
Wayne

Thanks Wayne