PDA

View Full Version : Dwr coating, is it working....

sethd513
12-01-2017, 17:08
So my jackets are pretty smoked. Did a dwr coating and still had some wetting out issues. Gear aid said I need to use a tech wash. So I did that. Then re washed them again in wash in dwr. Put in the dryer.

So I just had some spray on waterproofing and I wanted to coat the shoulders and hood. But it looked like it wet out the fabric. Is that because of what it is and it needs to cut what’s there to be applied? I put spray on my wife’s pertex coat and that thing beaded up great. Little concerned as this has been an on going project here and I feel like I’m burning through supplies and time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
12-01-2017, 17:28
I spent a lot of time trying to reapply a DWR to my OR Helium II rain jacket a couple of years ago and, despite following directions exactly with the product I was using (McNetts), I was never able to get the jacket to not wet out after a short time in the rain. I have attempted to contact OR's warranty department to see if they will cover a replacement - they were non-responsive. The best jacket I've used in terms of beading and not wetting out is also the cheapest: Dri Ducks which has been my fallback as of late.

sethd513
12-01-2017, 18:00
I’m having a greater issue with a goretex coat but I recently got a used helium hd and it seems to be doing the same thing.

sethd513
12-01-2017, 18:01
What is a proper test other then testing in the rain? Is a shower to much pressure? Is a spray bottle not enough?

Instructions say wait 48 hours or dry in dryer? Should both be done?

Coffee
12-01-2017, 20:26
I tried both air drying and dryer. I think that the shower test is legitimate. Some rain storms can be just as intense as a shower. Hopefully you get other responses. This has been discussed before and I kind of concluded that I had bad luck with that jacket and maybe my experience was unusual.

Greenlight
12-01-2017, 20:44
I have a Helium II jacket and pants. Is Pertex known for losing its waterproofing? I figured at the price point I jumped in at, that it would be good for the life of the product (5 - 10 years)

So my jackets are pretty smoked. Did a dwr coating and still had some wetting out issues. Gear aid said I need to use a tech wash. So I did that. Then re washed them again in wash in dwr. Put in the dryer.

So I just had some spray on waterproofing and I wanted to coat the shoulders and hood. But it looked like it wet out the fabric. Is that because of what it is and it needs to cut what’s there to be applied? I put spray on my wife’s pertex coat and that thing beaded up great. Little concerned as this has been an on going project here and I feel like I’m burning through supplies and time.

Leo L.
12-02-2017, 05:45
I've sprayed my jackets with every bottle of stuff that was advertised as "waterproofing" I could get hands on, and all it did was lightening my purse.
No serious waterproofing effect woth to speak of, only an improvement in the pearl-off effect at the very beginning of a rain exposure, but as soon as it came to serious rain all was soaked through as before.
This is all completely useless stuff, IMHO.

sethd513
12-02-2017, 08:09
I've sprayed my jackets with every bottle of stuff that was advertised as "waterproofing" I could get hands on, and all it did was lightening my purse.
No serious waterproofing effect woth to speak of, only an improvement in the pearl-off effect at the very beginning of a rain exposure, but as soon as it came to serious rain all was soaked through as before.
This is all completely useless stuff, IMHO.

That’s what I’m starting to think. What about tech washes? Do you think it’s a good idea to keep up with them and keep them clean?

nsherry61
12-02-2017, 08:35
From the very first generation of GorTex I've never had a rain jacket that lasted more than two to four years of regular use. And, that included coated nylon jackets, not just waterproof breathables. My lightly used Event Jacket has lasted almost 4 years, but I rarely use it and it just blew out its zipper so I can't really speak for Event fabric.

I've had my Ultrasil Sea To Summit poncho for about 5 years with lots of use and it's still going strong.

I gave up on waterproof breathables about 20 years ago now. Instead, I went to a wind jacket paired with some kind of light coated nylon rain jacket and found it worked better and longer and cost less and weighed about the same as the waterproof breathables at the time.

I still keep hoping and trying and the new fabrics truly are better and lighter. But, in the end, I've settled again on a wind jacket and now my poncho instead of a raincoat. I now use waterproof breathables for mountaineering and cycling where my poncho doesn't work so well and the activity is high-output. But, I never use my waterproof breathables for hiking or backpacking because there, my poncho works so much better.

Leo L.
12-02-2017, 09:05
I've owned three GoreTex jackets, each one from a reputable manufacturer, and all of them failed in heavy rain, especially when wearing a pack.
I've handed two of the jackets to some locals in the Middle East, and the last one, of big and wide cut like a coat, I keep and am still using as a wind jacket for winter use.

For rain protection while hiking I'm into ponchos, have two different models and both work great.
I especially love the fact that a poncho covers the wide V-gap between pack and body, where otherwise water or slush would gather and would be mechanically pumped through the jackets fabric with every step. Same for the shoulder straps.

OK, you can't do bushwhacking with a poncho - but who does planned bushwhacking in rain or slush?
So the only real limitation of a poncho is heavy wind. You can take a few measures for this to help a bit, but only so much.

Mountaineering, rock climbing would be different beasts and would need different equipent.

orthofingers
12-02-2017, 09:41
I had a jacket that started its life as a waterproof "breathable" garment. It was never very breathable and became less waterproof over time. I sprayed it with a 50/50 solution of clear silicone and mineral spirits like some folks use as a seam sealer on sil nylon.
It worked great as a waterproofer.
Made the jacket totally non breathable (made it feel like wearing a plastic garbage bag).
Made the jacket stick to itself rather than the fabric slide over itself.
i kind of addressed the stickiness factor using some kind of powder (talc? Cornstarch? I don't remember)

i lost the jacket shortly thereafter.

Would I do it again? Hmmm ?

Since i don't sweat profusely upon exertion, I probably would do it again. (I actually have worked in the rain using a garbage bag as a jacket.). But even though we like to complain that modern waterproof "breathable" jackets aren't very breathable, there is a difference wearing a totally non breathable material.

Coffee
12-02-2017, 12:24
All of these comments make me think that my choice of Dri Ducks over the past few years has made sense. It's $20 for a rain suit. Lightweight and as breathable as more expensive gear. When it wears out or rips, throw it out and buy a new pair.