PDA

View Full Version : My kids- best sections for them to hike with me

DBOW!
12-02-2017, 18:59
Hi folks, I have three daughters age 16,14,7:cool:
I want them to join me individually for a week each. What I'm looking for is some suggestions on sections, states and any other advise regarding them joining me! Thanks I love this site!

moldy
12-02-2017, 19:37
Your youngest should be there for Grayson Highlands and the ponies. The oldest should join you in the Whites from Franconia to Gorham. The middle child should meet you at Abol Bridge and climb Baxter Peak.

DBOW!
12-02-2017, 19:52
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Kaptainkriz
12-02-2017, 21:10
May need to let more than one join in on the ponies... :D

Your youngest should be there for Grayson Highlands and the ponies. The oldest should join you in the Whites from Franconia to Gorham. The middle child should meet you at Abol Bridge and climb Baxter Peak.

shelb
12-03-2017, 19:48
Yes, ponies are awesome! If you are hiking over 40 miles, consider Maryland. Begin at Harpers Ferry, and hike to PennMar Prk (thie girls can say they hiked across the entire state of Maryland). There are many historic sites that you will walk through plus a ton of outstanding views! I hiked this with my 10 and 12-year-old sons... great experience for all of us!

LIhikers
12-04-2017, 06:27
+1 for shelb's advice

DBOW!
12-04-2017, 10:08
Thanks great idea

Gambit McCrae
12-04-2017, 10:47
Curious as to why individually? IMO many more memories can be made if they share the experience together, while splitting a 3man tent between them and giving you your own tent space back makes for a nice break for personal privacy at night. However I don't have kids so this desire for personal privacy my vanish once have children for so many years.

I can not speak about the trail in Maine/ New Hampshire.. But I can suggest the Roan Highlands, Grayson highlands and northern Smokies from Newfound gap to i40...Or the latter of the trips continued on to Hot springs for a further trip. Below are the links to mileages for those trips, While not a week long as you have to determine appropriate mileage for your people and yourself, this provides the "Must See" to incorporate into your full trip.

Roan Highlands (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=DCK&k2=DI&h=5b40fcdd&year=2017) 16.3 miles
If you want to eliminate a big climb at the beginning of your trip you could start your trip at either cloudland Site or Carvers Gap.

Grayson Highlands (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=DZ&k2=ED&h=7f9c6a26&year=2017) 17 miles

Northern Smokies (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=CE&k2=BX&h=c3437c02&year=2017) 30.8 miles

Northern Smokies onward to Hot springs (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=CL&k2=BX&h=2c385bcd&year=2017) 66 miles

DBOW!
12-04-2017, 16:27
Thanks I like the idea of some one on one time with each. It will be easier to handle any issues like cramps, blisters whining if it's just me it is slowing down! Sisters ( siblings) can be very mean to each other:-? Can I get amen ladies with sisters?

DBOW!
12-10-2017, 12:38
Any other suggestions for the kids

Slo-go'en
12-10-2017, 18:38
By "joining you" do you mean as part of a thru hike or joining you for a section hike? That distinction makes a big difference.

DBOW!
12-10-2017, 19:40
Part of a thru hike nobo

Slo-go'en
12-10-2017, 22:21
Part of a thru hike nobo

Okay That's what I suspected and that complicates the issue tremendously. When are the kids available? Only when schools out? That would limit you to say early June to late August. Now where will you be in that time frame? Depends on when you start. An April 1st start puts most people at Trail Days in Damascus the 2nd weekend of May. So, early June you'd be about mid way through VA.

The Shenandoah NP would be a good section to start with. Reasonably easy travel arrangements to get there and back. I would assume your wife would drive the kids out to the trail, spend the week hitting the yard sales and antique stores and pick them up at the other end.

Maybe pick up one kid and drop another off when you get to Front Royal. A few days later you'd be in Harpers Ferry. That would be a good section for the young one. Then pick up the last one when you get to NJ and spare the kids the agony of PA.

Your really going to have to play it by ear. Getting your schedule and theirs to match up can be a challenge in it's own right.

Sandy of PA
12-10-2017, 22:26
PA is just fine until Duncannon! Carlise is a good pickup being right off the Turnpike.

Suzzz
12-11-2017, 10:49
However I don't have kids so this desire for personal privacy my vanish once have children for so many years

The desire for personal privacy never vanishes!!! But you learn to deal with it and find ways to make time for yourself although it never lasts for very long.

I'm a section hiker and plan to hike for a week around the Grayson Highlands with my 13 and 11 year old daughters this summer. I picked that spot for the ponies! Then I'll go on my own in Maine for another week where I know the terrain is rough and they wouldn't enjoy themselves.

johnspenn
12-11-2017, 10:58
Not sure when you're starting or how ably/willingly your daughters hike. One of your older daughters might enjoy starting the trail with you at Springer, possible hiking through to Dick's Creek Gap and a stay in the Hiker Hostel. It would be quite the experience, she would see how others fare starting their thru and how you fare as well. Be careful, you may create a monster ... =)

Durunner
12-12-2017, 19:19
Some good suggestions, but also depends how into hiking they are. Some places would be amazing, but would daughters even teenage ones really enjoy a 2000 climb.

devoidapop
12-12-2017, 19:33
Some good suggestions, but also depends how into hiking they are. Some places would be amazing, but would daughters even teenage ones really enjoy a 2000 climb.

As long as you keep it fun, they do.

TX Aggie
12-12-2017, 19:56
Yes, ponies are awesome! If you are hiking over 40 miles, consider Maryland. Begin at Harpers Ferry, and hike to PennMar Prk (thie girls can say they hiked across the entire state of Maryland). There are many historic sites that you will walk through plus a ton of outstanding views! I hiked this with my 10 and 12-year-old sons... great experience for all of us!

A Maryland section was the first hike I took my two daughters on, 10 and 13 at the time. We did Washington Monument up to ANNAPOLIS Rocks and stayed overnight, then returned home. Just over 5 miles each way, but was just enough to challenge the younger one (who was only about 55 lbs at the time carrying a 12 lb pack)

I think Maryland is a great section to get kids started.

DBOW!
12-13-2017, 10:52
Thanks
I like Maryland as well
My kids have grit, they have done the incline in manitou springs co

Emerson Bigills
12-13-2017, 15:20
The Whites and Katahdin are probably the toughest sections on the entire trail. Not certain it is fair to ask someone that probably isn't in hiking condition to deal with those conditions. The most important thing is making sure they have a fun/great experience, and as a father, you get some time to talk with them. You need to pick something that has a hook in it (like Grayson), but those sections are a challenge even for hikers that have been out there for 5 months.

Durunner
12-13-2017, 19:59
Well at least they have done incline. One of the toughest climbs I ever did. Still two hours there is a little different than say 8 to 10 hours on the AT with packs. I would suggest Maryland or maybe Shenandoah. If you want them to tackle tougher stuff, then just allow yourself to be flexible. If they are struggling or not having fun that day, stop early and do more camping rather than hiking. I know at 16, I was more fit than now, but I definitely didn't have the endurance I have built up today.