PDA

View Full Version : Quantity of alcohol fuel carried

Redbird2
12-02-2017, 19:16
Do most people who use denatured alcohol buy a 32oz container of fuel or do they buy in smaller quantities on the trail? Where I live, I mostly see 32oz cans for sale. Just curious if you're carrying all that extra fuel?

Cheyou
12-02-2017, 19:33
12oz bottle of Heet if I need that much. Some hostles sell DA by the oz.

thom

zelph
12-02-2017, 20:30
I just saw these mentioned on backpackinglight.com being used to carry HEET fuel in small quantities:

https://www.amazon.com/BLASANI-Concealable-Cruise-Sneak-Flask/dp/B009FR1M56

tflaris
12-02-2017, 20:43
12oz bottle of Heet if I need that much. Some hostles sell DA by the oz.

thom

What he said. But I’ve found that some kids leak and need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaptainkriz
12-02-2017, 21:06
Be sure to label very well and not use for water for consimption later if DA has been in it. Nice little container though...

I just saw these mentioned on backpackinglight.com being used to carry HEET fuel in small quantities:

https://www.amazon.com/BLASANI-Concealable-Cruise-Sneak-Flask/dp/B009FR1M56

Slo-go'en
12-02-2017, 21:13
I use an efficient Caldara Cone system and only boil water for dinner, so I don't use a whole lot of fuel. I carry about 8 oz leaving town. How much you carry depends more on your usage then difficulty of obtaining it reasonably frequently. But then, the more you carry, the less often you have to go looking for it.

I buy (yellow) HEET at the local NAPA place (the only reliable source other then Walmart), fill up my bottle and leave any left over in a hiker box. As noted, there are places along the trail where you can get alcohol by the ounce. I top off my bottle when ever possible.

nate.2346
03-01-2018, 17:57
Do most people who use denatured alcohol buy a 32oz container of fuel or do they buy in smaller quantities on the trail? Where I live, I mostly see 32oz cans for sale. Just curious if you're carrying all that extra fuel?

I buy in bulk and use old contact solution bottles to pack 8-12oz worth.

MuddyWaters
03-01-2018, 20:24
Most buy heet bottles. The methanol lights and burns much better in cool weather.

When it warms up, slx is better.

Many hostels and outfitters sell by the oz. As well.

I rarely carry more than 4 fl oz, (3.2 oz wt) that lasts me a week.

Dogwood
03-01-2018, 20:32
I can't recall ever seeing anyone backpacking any trail carrying 32 oz of DA...unless maybe Tipi Walter is hiding it in that Mother Load of a thing he calls a backpack. :D

MuddyWaters
03-01-2018, 20:39
Course you can split the diff and carry 750 ml .....of 180 everclear. You wont have too much trouble selling excess. Its multi purpose.

That glass bottle might be heavy though.

RangerZ
03-01-2018, 21:08
I used a Jack Daniels 12 oz bottle, flat rather than round, it fits in the pack pocket better. My wife needed some for Christmas cookies and I had to finish the rest.

I painted the top and bottom inch blaze orange and marked it "Fuel only".

I've thought of using Everclear and taking a sip to freak people out.

Kaptainkriz
03-01-2018, 22:20
I've started using these flask bags with good success: https://www.amazon.com/BLASANI-Concealable-Cruise-Sneak-Flask/dp/B00A6FLUHG