PDA

View Full Version : REI Map and Compass Class

JJ505
12-02-2017, 19:19
Today I took a beginner Map and Compass class. I thought it was very good, but obviously instruction would differ with where it was. Before the class I did not feel like I knew much about compasses but some re: maps. What I have tended to use them for is determining what I might find on a trail, would it be too steep ,etc. I feel I learned a lot about both. By the end of the class, I am able to find a bearing and triangulate a position on the map. I think if I practice, such skills could save your life. Obviously doesn't make me some kind of expert or anything. Just thought I'd review this, because I think the class was worth the $60 (member fee).

Redbird2
12-02-2017, 19:48
I concur with your assessment of the REI class. I took one this past summer myself. I need to constantly practice though so I don't forget what I learned.

moldy
12-03-2017, 08:49
Good on you. Knowledge is power. Years ago in the Navy I attended the Navy's Navigation course and was amazed at what you can do with the most simple tools. In the woods it's all about patience and observation and how to trust the science. Getting yourself unlost also takes practice. Map and compass are just tools that can help solve the puzzle. I'm all in favor of new tools that can help me. The idea that I won't need to learn how to get myself unlost because I have this great new technology is risky stuff. Having a Spot and a GPS are just fine but don't let that stuff kill you. Of the 2 basic "lost" methods of "Come find Me" and "Find my own way Home" I choose the latter.

peakbagger
12-03-2017, 09:17
A FYI , a course is first step but until you go out in the woods solo or without an instructor and actually do some navigating without and expert a map and compass can be dangerous set of tools

Recently while bushwhacking with a friend, I noticed some big variations between her bearings and mine. Turned out she converts everything to magnetic bearings while I work in True. In NH the difference is 18 degrees. Its real easy to blow the correction by reversing it and ending up with 36 degree error.

JJ505
12-03-2017, 12:42
I don't actually intend to do bushwhacking. To me it is not really fun. I had a hiking partner who loved it and he had an amazing sense of direction (I'm rather learning disabled that way). Of course bushwhacking in NM and NH may be two different things. We have various cactus and other plants that are not particularly "friendly". I stay on marked trails or routes. But even marked trails have places where people have cut across enough that it can be confusing. The teacher did emphasize the importance of practice, as well.

A FYI , a course is first step but until you go out in the woods solo or without an instructor and actually do some navigating without and expert a map and compass can be dangerous set of tools

Recently while bushwhacking with a friend, I noticed some big variations between her bearings and mine. Turned out she converts everything to magnetic bearings while I work in True. In NH the difference is 18 degrees. Its real easy to blow the correction by reversing it and ending up with 36 degree error.

kibs
12-03-2017, 13:09
I don't actually intend to do bushwhacking. To me it is not really fun. I had a hiking partner who loved it and he had an amazing sense of direction (I'm rather learning disabled that way). Of course bushwhacking in NM and NH may be two different things. We have various cactus and other plants that are not particularly "friendly". I stay on marked trails or routes. But even marked trails have places where people have cut across enough that it can be confusing. The teacher did emphasize the importance of practice, as well.

I've been fooled by game trails before. Best to pay attention to surroundings and orient yourself on a map frequently!