PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Get Back to Harpers Ferry?

Redbird2
12-03-2017, 21:44
For those actual Flip Flop thru-hikers who started at Harpers Ferry. How did you get back to HF after Katahdin? I know there are lots of options. I'm curious what you actually did.

Slo-go'en
12-04-2017, 00:51
I don't know if there are a lot of options. Pretty much only one to get you to Portland. The AT Lodge will get you from Abol to a bus station, with a stop over at Millinocket for the night. Hitching is possible, but not reliable. How you go on from there depends on if you want to bus, train or fly. Most paths will lead through Portland, ME and then Boston. You can figure out the details when the time comes.

LuckyMan
12-04-2017, 13:11
Might not need to go through Portland or Boston. When I went from DC to Katahdin I found a cheap nonstop flight on American from National Airport to Bangor, then the usual buses and shuttles (via Medway and Millinocket).

Redbird2
12-04-2017, 13:15
That sounds like a great option

kibs
12-04-2017, 15:47
Might not need to go through Portland or Boston. When I went from DC to Katahdin I found a cheap nonstop flight on American from National Airport to Bangor, then the usual buses and shuttles (via Medway and Millinocket).

Make sure they have enough pilots that day.

Deacon
12-05-2017, 10:38

Yes, the morning bus through Medway goes directly to the Bangor bus depot. There are taxis waiting there that will make the few minutes drive right to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

peakbagger
12-05-2017, 12:29
FYI, the pricing for Bangor flights vary widely, occasionally there are low costs flights to fill up the planes but frequently they are a premium, always check Portland which has far more airlines serving it including Southwest airlines. Figure 2.5 hours to Portland's combined train and bus station from Bangor. Unless you want to swim across the Fore River and break security at the Portland Airport (definitely not recommended) you need to take a Uber or a cab for a 5 to 10 minute ride to the airport. Its annoying, the bus station is within sight of the landing strip but in order to walk there is not easy as you need to cross two rivers one of which is deep mudflat at low tide.

From Portland Amtrak is also an option although its can be a bit of PITA in Boston as Amtrak runs to North Station in Boston while trains to the south depart form South Station so you either need to take the T or a walk about 20 minutes across Boston which is nice break if you are on a long trip.