PDA

View Full Version : Water in Oregon and Washington

DuneElliot
12-05-2017, 10:38
I'm guessing water is fairly plentiful in Washington. What are the longest dry sections in Oregon?

Considering doing one or both states this summer.

Venchka
12-05-2017, 14:45
In addition to information supplied here, you might skim the NOBO HOBOS account of their 2017 PCT hike. They don’t list specific sources. However, they might mention a particularly long water carry.
Good luck!
Wayne

Venchka
12-05-2017, 16:18
A link might help. They enter Oregon approximately Day 84.
https://nobohobos.wordpress.com/2017/07/29/day-83-get-to-da-choppa/
Wayne

imscotty
12-05-2017, 18:48
There are several dry stretches in Southern Oregon. I think the longest is at Crater Lake. If you do the 'Rim Trail' Alternate route there is a dry stretch of 26.2 miles. Check out the half mile maps, they give you 'water alerts' along the way

Malto
12-05-2017, 20:42
There are several dry stretches in Southern Oregon. I think the longest is at Crater Lake. If you do the 'Rim Trail' Alternate route there is a dry stretch of 26.2 miles. Check out the half mile maps, they give you 'water alerts' along the way

Yup, snow provided some much needed water. Oregon was much drier than I expected but by the time thru hikers hit it they will have mastered water management. As suggested above, pay attention to water sources.

jjozgrunt
12-05-2017, 21:36
I haven't used Guthooks PCT trail app but if it's like the AT and Australia/NZ apps it lists water sources and how reliable they are, plus people on the trail can leave notes.

DuneElliot
12-05-2017, 21:40
I won't be doing the Rim Alternate trail as I have already been and done Crater Lake, and I will have my dogs with me, which is also the biggest reason for wanting to know how long the driest sections are. The longest I've ever done is 15 miles with 4 liters for the three of us.

My dogs are used to LD distance hiking and are trail savvy, plus they are always controlled.

DuneElliot
12-05-2017, 21:42
I'm aware of the water report...what I am trying to determine is if I can manage the Oregon section with my dogs and need to know the longest dry sections so I can figure out if I can carry enough water or need to re-think things.