PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Tent: Mo Trail vs. Double Rainbow

mbqhappy
12-06-2017, 10:45
Hello Everyone....I am at a cross road choosing between the MoTrail or Double Rainbow Tarp Tents.

Aside from what I can find searching around the net about this tarp tents: specs and critics (Not sure how reliable are they; not enough opinions to make a decision).

I would like to hear experienced hiker's opinion on the Pro & Con (On the CONs side, particularly on the Condensation point would be my interest) for this 2 tarp tents...

Finally, as a sort of survey, if you had to choose one, which one would it be? and Why?

Once again, I thank everyone for your insights and opinions.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

martinb
12-06-2017, 11:20
I've had/have two similar TTs, the rainshadow2 and scarp2. For two people the side entry DR is MUCH better. I see your location is PR so condensation will be a problem. The large, double side-doors of the DR will be better for limiting condensation. The DR will sag less due to pole arrangement, as well.

Ashepabst
12-06-2017, 11:59
i know they also have an optional liner for the Rainbow that'll channel drips from condensation.

Gambit McCrae
12-06-2017, 12:57
I personally really enjoy a side entry double door tent design...FWIW

Venchka
12-06-2017, 16:54
I personally really enjoy a side entry double door tent design...FWIW
Agreed.
Why do you want a single wall tent instead of a double wall tent?
Wayne

MtDoraDave
12-06-2017, 18:07
I have the MoTrail's predecessor, the Squall 2, and having used it many times, I'd suggest the Double Rainbow.

As others have said, the side entry is nice. (I now have a Notch, and love the tall center and side entry.)

On the Squall 2, the screen goes down each side for ventilation. If the pitch isn't perfect, sometimes rain can drip onto the screen and come into the tent. I asked Henry about it, and he said my poles were adjusted too long. They were, and when I shortened them, it was better, but I still have had the screen protrude past the side of the tent (which would allow rain to come in) when pitched on uneven ground or some other reason for an imperfect pitch.

I suggested to him that perhaps the screen should be sewn about an inch inboard from the edge of the tent, so the silnylon acts as an overhang or a drip edge... I don't know if he did that with the MoTrail or not. From the pics I've seen, it doesn't appear so.

Also, the Squall 2 (and presumable the MoTrail) requires you to scoot all the way to the door if you want to sit up inside the tent. The tents with the tall centers allow you to sit up from your laying position.

bigcranky
12-06-2017, 23:04
We used a Squall a couple of times, and owned a Rainshadow (larger version), then owned a Double Rainbow for several years. Never seen a MoTrail.

We prefer entrances(s) on the long side, rather than at the head end. The design of the D.R. also puts a lot more height (headroom) in the middle, where it's actually useful. The MoTrail, like the Squall, has all the headroom right at the pole - difficult to use it especially with two people.

The two long walls on the D.R. slope sharply inward, severely (i.m.o.) reducing the usable space especially for two people to sit up and move around. We ended up selling the D.R. for a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo -- for the same weight it has significantly more interior room. Pretty darn awesome for two people. Used that tent for five or six years, got a lot of trail miles on it. (Replaced it with a Zpacks Triplex, half the weight and twice the price.)

Condensation is an issue with any tent. Single wall tents just let you see it and feel it dripping on your face. In general we've not found it to be an issue most nights, but we're willing to put up with it for the weight savings. Some people are not.

With the Tarptents, they are all well made and designed. You can safely choose on the features you want. Have you considered the Saddle 2? Might fix the condensation issues and it appears to have a lot of space for the weight.

Just Tom
12-07-2017, 08:05
I'd say the Motrail predecessor is the Protrail, which I found to be a great tent. I'd make the decision based on preference on side vs front entrance.

Venchka
12-07-2017, 09:07
ProTrail - Single person
Motrail - Followed ProTrail. 2 person.
Wayne