PDA

View Full Version : Bear Cans Required on Blood Mountain?

dcdennis
12-06-2017, 13:45
I just noticed Guthook's says that bear cans are required at Blood Mountain. Is this true? I thought only the smokies REQUIRED them and every where else it was recommended but not officially required.

If it is true, are cans required in all of georgia? Im planning on knocking out the whole state in march with the bubble and currently do not have a can.

backtrack213
12-06-2017, 13:55
Im not sure on actual miles of the section that require the bear can but basically if you want to camp on blood mountain you need a bear can i believe. Think the section in georgia is from one gap to neels gap a total of maybe 7 miles i think. The rest of georgia you do not need bear cans. You can easily skip over that section so you don't have to carry a bear can. I also didn't need a bear can in the smokies 2 years ago when i went through unless that changed.

dcdennis
12-06-2017, 13:57
Im not sure on actual miles of the section that require the bear can but basically if you want to camp on blood mountain you need a bear can i believe. Think the section in georgia is from one gap to neels gap a total of maybe 7 miles i think. The rest of georgia you do not need bear cans. You can easily skip over that section so you don't have to carry a bear can. I also didn't need a bear can in the smokies 2 years ago when i went through unless that changed.

are you saying you only need the can if you plan to CAMP in that spot, or do you also need one just to hike through it? I'm hoping just the former.

backtrack213
12-06-2017, 14:04
Just to camp in that section

Sarcasm the elf
12-06-2017, 14:10
Here is the link to the original USFS order that details the exact regulation, to the best of my knowledge this order has simply been renewed and the original terms are still in place. It only affects around 5 miles of the trail.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdf

illabelle
12-06-2017, 14:22
And no, bear cans are not required in the Smokies. The Park has installed bear cables at each shelter and campsite.

HooKooDooKu
12-06-2017, 14:30
Just to camp in that section
Pretty much anywhere that requires the use of a bear canister only requires its use to store food over night or any other time you're not in direct control of your food.

This is a subject that comes up frequently in discussion groups for places that do require bear canisters... such as back-packing in Yosemite National Park.
One of the standard "tricks" for getting an extra day of food to fit in your bear canister is to simply carry your 1st days food in your pack.

HooKooDooKu
12-06-2017, 14:39
And no, bear cans are not required in the Smokies. The Park has installed bear cables at each shelter and campsite.
Technically, bear canisters are NOT an approved method of food storage in GSMNP.
I can't see someone getting in trouble for using a bear canister in GSMNP, but park rules REQUIRE the bear cables installed at each campsite be used, or that you do a "bear hang" (10' off the ground, 4' away from trunk) when cable systems are full or otherwise not available.

saltysack
12-06-2017, 18:03
Curious as to why anyone would want to purposely hike in the “ bubble”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNhiker
12-06-2017, 18:41

meet people and get laid........

saltysack
12-06-2017, 19:46
meet people and get laid........

Ha....that’s truly HYOH! [emoji23].

Rain Man
12-06-2017, 20:00

They aren't misanthropes?

skater
12-06-2017, 20:53
Bear canister is required on the Georgia AT only from Jarrad Gap to Neel Gap, only if you are staying overnight. No where else in Georgia that I am aware of. However, use of canisters is still encouraged.

Fredt4
12-07-2017, 00:01
I would look up the specific requirements for Blood Mountain as i believe it's a requirement for a certain time period. Otherwise you are not required to have a canister. It's probably a good requirement as there bears in the area that will take any thing that's hung from a tree. Not much available for those that feel they need to hang in that area.

gpburdelljr
12-07-2017, 00:16
I would look up the specific requirements for Blood Mountain as i believe it's a requirement for a certain time period. Otherwise you are not required to have a canister. It's probably a good requirement as there bears in the area that will take any thing that's hung from a tree. Not much available for those that feel they need to hang in that area.
They are required March 1st to June 1st each year, from Jarrad Gap to Neels Gap.

Shrewd
12-07-2017, 09:53
It’s a short section that most people walk right through.

I actually ended up camping at the shelter in this area due to a nasty blizzard. None of us had bear canisters but the shelter had a bear lockbox anyway.

Tengo Hambre
12-07-2017, 10:46
I did not carry a canister and truly think that it is a waste of space on the AT. I hung a bag religiously though when there were no other alternatives. When passing through Neel Gap I camped just off the trail behind Mountain Crossings. The hostel was full and I did not take advantage of the Blood Mountain Cabins. That night we stashed our food bags in the hostel behind some furniture to avoid an illegal hang. Hanging a bag is all about the bears, practice before you go, and do it for the bears!

gpburdelljr
12-07-2017, 12:00
I did not carry a canister and truly think that it is a waste of space on the AT. I hung a bag religiously though when there were no other alternatives. When passing through Neel Gap I camped just off the trail behind Mountain Crossings. The hostel was full and I did not take advantage of the Blood Mountain Cabins. That night we stashed our food bags in the hostel behind some furniture to avoid an illegal hang. Hanging a bag is all about the bears, practice before you go, and do it for the bears!
Mountain Crossinfs is outside the area where a bear canister is required if you camp.

saltysack
12-07-2017, 20:24
They aren't misanthropes?

I don’t dislike people but I go to the woods for lil piece and quiet not to party or socialize....

Uncle Joe
12-07-2017, 20:56
It’s a short section that most people walk right through.
I actually ended up camping at the shelter in this area due to a nasty blizzard. None of us had bear canisters but the shelter had a bear lockbox anyway.

I haven't been to Wood Hole Shelter since I camped there a couple of years ago. So it's good to hear they have a bear box now. That said, if you were there in snow you were no doubt outside the required time for mandatory bear canisters of March 1- June 1st.

Shrewd
12-08-2017, 16:44
I haven't been to Wood Hole Shelter since I camped there a couple of years ago. So it's good to hear they have a bear box now. That said, if you were there in snow you were no doubt outside the required time for mandatory bear canisters of March 1- June 1st.

I wish, Man. After a balmy February filled with warm sunny days we got hit with a pretty good blizzard on March 12th. It was like -10 that night with the wind chill. Third day in. Was certainly an interesting night, I spent 12 hours huddled in my hammock and beat feet at first light to get the hell down to the cabins at Neels Gap.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/6cfe926fe3b946df092c586ab8444eaf.jpg

Epic views from Blood, though