PDA

View Full Version : Hanging food

Lib
12-06-2017, 21:29
Hi yall, got a question on hanging food. My son n I are planning a thru hike starting in march 2018. was wondering about using the ursack for storing and hanging food? Any comments n suggestions are appreciated. I'm trying to keep weight down, as of now we are at approx 41# total between the 2 of us without food and water.

Sarcasm the elf
12-06-2017, 21:34
First recommendation is don't hang an ursak, tie it tightly to a tree as directed. This is far more secure than hanging it in a bear hang.

Lib
12-06-2017, 21:50
Any other recommendations other than using the ursack and no I'm not gonna carry a canister!

bigcranky
12-06-2017, 22:52
Almost any stuff sack can be a bear bag. The trick is the hanging method, not really the bag itself. Lots of folks (us included) use the Zpacks food bag. It's not mouse proof or bear proof like an Ursack, but if it's hung properly it's fine. Learn the "PCT Method" for hanging, and I use an OP sack as a liner - the only time I've had a rodent chew inside was the one night I couldn't get all my food inside the OP Sack.

Venchka
12-06-2017, 22:52
Do you plan to carry 1 Ursack Standard each? Or do you think that you can get all of your food in the Ursack Major? Remember that your first day’s food doesn’t have to go in the Ursack.
Good luck!
Wayne

Berserker
12-07-2017, 13:29
Almost any stuff sack can be a bear bag. The trick is the hanging method, not really the bag itself. Lots of folks (us included) use the Zpacks food bag. It's not mouse proof or bear proof like an Ursack, but if it's hung properly it's fine. Learn the "PCT Method" for hanging, and I use an OP sack as a liner - the only time I've had a rodent chew inside was the one night I couldn't get all my food inside the OP Sack.
This ^

If you're gonna hang your food use a light weight dry sack (I use a Outdoor Research sil-nylon 25l sack that weighs 3.25 oz), and dyneema cord (this slides over branches a lot easier than regular para cord that can bind up). This is a very lightweight set-up that works fine on the AT.

BuckeyeBill
12-08-2017, 10:50
I use a Ursack Allmitey and find it to be very reliable. If I am not tying to a tree, as suggested by the manufacturer, I am sleeping with it, depending on status of of recent bear reports.

Lib
12-10-2017, 21:46
Thnx for all the comments. I do have the outdoor research bag that I'll try and if that doesn't work I'll switch to zpack or ursack major

Highland Goat
12-11-2017, 12:26
I carried a pair of ursacks on my 2012 AT thru and my 2015 Long Trail End-to-End. I found that tying the bag to a tree, as the manufacturer recommends allowed me to hike longer in the day than my previous method of carrying a hank of cordage and a silicone impregnated nylon bag. Even though it increased my pack weight, I found the ursack worth it. I carried two bags to reduce the frequency of leaving the trail to resupply. You may find two bags for a pair of hikers adequate, depending on the calorie density of your food.

handlebar
12-11-2017, 13:24
20 lbs each without food/water is a bit high. You might want to list your gear for recommendations.

Fredt4
12-15-2017, 16:04
I carried a pair of ursacks on my 2012 AT thru and my 2015 Long Trail End-to-End. I found that tying the bag to a tree, as the manufacturer recommends allowed me to hike longer in the day than my previous method of carrying a hank of cordage and a silicone impregnated nylon bag. Even though it increased my pack weight, I found the ursack worth it. I carried two bags to reduce the frequency of leaving the trail to resupply. You may find two bags for a pair of hikers adequate, depending on the calorie density of your food.

I carried one Ursack on my 2011 AT thru hike and slept with it. In the Smokies I did hang. No problems and never was eaten by any bears. Once a chipmunk did craw into my tent and he raised a commotion when it woke me and had to figure out how to get back out. It was the primary reason why I carried the Ursack as i didn't expect any trouble from the bears.

Lib
12-25-2017, 22:02
The 21# apiece is with the backpack, that would give us approx 9-10#'s of food apiece and plus water.

Christoph
12-25-2017, 23:07
I used a $2 nylon type backpack with everything in gallon sized zip locks. Worked great, never had any problems with rodents and half the time I just slept with it. Only hung it when there were poles or put in the boxes where available. I did see a lot of the Ursacks though and people really seemed to like them, other than the weight.

Heliotrope
12-26-2017, 14:44
I sew my own from silnylon and seal the seams. They weigh about 1 oz each and hold about 600 cu in.

Start practicing hanging your line. Locating appropriate branches and getting your rock bag over the limb without hitting yourself in the face ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk