PDA

View Full Version : Guthooks question

Fireplug
12-07-2017, 16:44
With the new milage this year and the re-routes does anyone know if guthooks is planning on updating their app?

egilbe
12-07-2017, 16:55
Probably. It won't be that far off for 99% of the trail.

bigcranky
12-08-2017, 08:02
The app is updated regularly.

Rowdy Yates
12-08-2017, 09:46
Are the app updates automatic or do you have to go online to update?

Gambit McCrae
12-08-2017, 10:39
I have an Iphone, and it notifies me of when my apps need an update.

rhjanes
12-08-2017, 11:11
Are the app updates automatic or do you have to go online to update?I believe you can set that in some phone settings. So you can have apps "auto update" or not....then you have to remember to click the APPS icon to see what changes are pending.

Rowdy Yates
12-08-2017, 11:12
I have an Iphone, and it notifies me of when my apps need an update.

I don't have an iPhone but I do have a Motorola Droid. Hope I will be notified.

JC13
12-08-2017, 16:01
I have an android phone and you can set it to auto-update as well. Worse case, go into the google play store and check your installed apps to see if any need to be updated.

Redbird2
12-08-2017, 16:26
I contacted Guthook recently about a question and in their response to me they mentioned that they're working on a new version to be released soon. I have an iPhone as well so I expect the update to be seamless.

Analog_Kidd
12-08-2017, 19:14
I really like the app, but can only use it on my phone. The app says it is not compatible with my Android tablet and won't install. I like to use the app from the couch when planning (or dreaming about) a trip. The convenience of being able to use the larger screen tablet would be nice.

Hollywood44
12-08-2017, 22:55
gut hooks is a great app...the mileage is terrible..i feel sometimes it makes a direct line instead of actually using the trail...just be mindful..its awesome and I love it

jjozgrunt
12-08-2017, 23:06
I really like the app, but can only use it on my phone. The app says it is not compatible with my Android tablet and won't install. I like to use the app from the couch when planning (or dreaming about) a trip. The convenience of being able to use the larger screen tablet would be nice. I have mine loaded on an 8" Galaxy S2. It said, before loading, it wouldn't work properly but did for the first 300 odd miles this year.

JEgestad
12-14-2017, 08:27
i used it for my LASH this year on my iphone and the app updated alot of times when i got on some network

so will use it again this year, but got myself an android phone, and the app really stinks on android compared to ios

so really hope they do some updating on the android and makes it more like the ios one

guthook
12-19-2017, 17:13
If anyone is having a particular problem with the apps, as mentioned by some about the Android app, please contact us directly so we can work it out. [email protected]

As for the trail updates, all of those things do happen automatically when we update our databases. I just added a bunch of fairly significant reroutes in the southern end of the AT last week.

And I match my mileage to the ATC's official mileage, so as soon as I get my copy of the Databook, I'll be making those changes as well.

Cheers!
Guthook

JEgestad
12-19-2017, 17:56
not to get me wrong, the app was awesome on IOS, but think the elevation part is really bad in the Android version

but will still use it, as its clearly the best thing available

but if the app had the IOS elevation then it will go close to perfect again

but thx for your work on it

HooKooDooKu
12-20-2017, 00:54
gut hooks is a great app...the mileage is terrible..i feel sometimes it makes a direct line instead of actually using the trail...just be mindful..its awesome and I love it
Can't speak for the AT version,but I've used the JMT version and didn't notice any inaccuracies where the app wasn't following the trail.
As for mileage begin "off"... well at least when it comes to the JMT, I've yet to see two sources match up on mileage. For a given trail intersection, I would get a different mile marker in Guthook, Wenk Data Book, and National Geo map booklet.

guthook
12-20-2017, 21:21
Can't speak for the AT version,but I've used the JMT version and didn't notice any inaccuracies where the app wasn't following the trail.
As for mileage begin "off"... well at least when it comes to the JMT, I've yet to see two sources match up on mileage. For a given trail intersection, I would get a different mile marker in Guthook, Wenk Data Book, and National Geo map booklet.
I've been meaning to do a blog post about this for years :-) If you just take a GPS track of the AT and run it through Google Earth, it comes up with a length of something like 2000 miles, which, of course, is way off from the official mileage. There's just so much variation between GPS tracks and wheel measurements, not to mention varying standards for original measurements, it's kind of an inexact science. The AT and a few other trails are kind of anomalous in that there's a managing organization that has an official mileage chart for the trail-- and because of that we have a pretty complex program that runs through the entire ATC data book to true-up our GPS-calculated distances to the official distances in the book.

My guess with the JMT is that Wenk and Nat Geo each use some different way of measuring their GPS tracks. If there's no "official" mileage, then we often just go with our standard GPS measurements, since there's no telling how accurate anyone else's measurements are :-)

TX Aggie
12-21-2017, 11:04
I really like the app, but can only use it on my phone. The app says it is not compatible with my Android tablet and won't install. I like to use the app from the couch when planning (or dreaming about) a trip. The convenience of being able to use the larger screen tablet would be nice.

Guthooks works great on iPad. Just FYI when you need a new tablet. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX Aggie
12-21-2017, 11:06
If anyone is having a particular problem with the apps, as mentioned by some about the Android app, please contact us directly so we can work it out. [email protected]

As for the trail updates, all of those things do happen automatically when we update our databases. I just added a bunch of fairly significant reroutes in the southern end of the AT last week.

And I match my mileage to the ATC's official mileage, so as soon as I get my copy of the Databook, I'll be making those changes as well.

Cheers!
Guthook

I've been meaning to do a blog post about this for years :-) If you just take a GPS track of the AT and run it through Google Earth, it comes up with a length of something like 2000 miles, which, of course, is way off from the official mileage. There's just so much variation between GPS tracks and wheel measurements, not to mention varying standards for original measurements, it's kind of an inexact science. The AT and a few other trails are kind of anomalous in that there's a managing organization that has an official mileage chart for the trail-- and because of that we have a pretty complex program that runs through the entire ATC data book to true-up our GPS-calculated distances to the official distances in the book.

My guess with the JMT is that Wenk and Nat Geo each use some different way of measuring their GPS tracks. If there's no "official" mileage, then we often just go with our standard GPS measurements, since there's no telling how accurate anyone else's measurements are :-)

Great feedback from the man himself. Thank you!

HooKooDooKu
12-21-2017, 13:59
...My guess with the JMT is that Wenk and Nat Geo each use some different way of measuring their GPS tracks. If there's no "official" mileage, then we often just go with our standard GPS measurements, since there's no telling how accurate anyone else's measurements are :-)
What's sort of funny about the JMT is that it's official length is 210 miles from HI to the top of Whitney. Both Wenk and Net Geo recognize this official length (and likely Guthook as well, but I don't recall). Yet it is mile markers between these two ends that don't line up.

As for Google Earth, that's an interesting animal. I started with a GPS track I found online, and I've since spent many-a-lunch hour retracing a new track based on what I could see visually. The above-treeline stuff is easy (other than the fact that each time Google Earth updates its imagery, the exact location of the trail shifts a little), and I've managed to get most of the below treeline stuff relatively accurately (the only thing that's REALLY difficult and I don't have with any accuracy is switchbacks where mostly all the trail it hidden by trees).

In any case... my JMT track in the properties indicates 205 miles... yet if you ask Google Earth to show an elevation profile, that same track is shown as being only 175 miles (a better than 10% discrepancy).

guthook
12-21-2017, 23:00
In any case... my JMT track in the properties indicates 205 miles... yet if you ask Google Earth to show an elevation profile, that same track is shown as being only 175 miles (a better than 10% discrepancy).

As if by magic, Google can make miles disappear! ;-)

Yeah, I just checked, and we have 210.4 miles. I personally only deal with trails in the east, and my partners deal with the Western trails. I'll check with them about what mileage we use. But you're almost certainly right about the reason for other maps having differing mile markers between the start and finish.

Analog_Kidd
12-22-2017, 21:38
Guthooks works great on iPad. Just FYI when you need a new tablet. [emoji41]

LOL... I'm about the most frugal person you'll ever meet. The $50 (on sale) Amazon Fire tablet is plenty enough for me. I can't bring myself to spend a few hundred bucks on an ipad, when the Fire checks my email and browses the web just fine. Plus if I break it or lose it I just buy another one and barely shed a tear.

Anyway, not sure why the Guthook app is not compatible with my tablet. The Google Play Store won't even let me install it, and it's not available in the Amazon app store. For now I'll just continue to use my phone.

TX Aggie
12-22-2017, 23:05
LOL... I'm about the most frugal person you'll ever meet. The $50 (on sale) Amazon Fire tablet is plenty enough for me. I can't bring myself to spend a few hundred bucks on an ipad, when the Fire checks my email and browses the web just fine. Plus if I break it or lose it I just buy another one and barely shed a tear.

Anyway, not sure why the Guthook app is not compatible with my tablet. The Google Play Store won't even let me install it, and it's not available in the Amazon app store. For now I'll just continue to use my phone.

Well.....it IS a $50 tablet.....[emoji41]

The tablet version just makes it easier for my old eyes to read.

guthook
12-23-2017, 08:38

Ah, it's a Fire Tablet, that's why. For some reason, Amazon felt it was necessary to use a version of Android that doesn't work with the standard Android maps, so if we offered our apps on the Amazon store, you wouldn't be able to use the maps... which kind of defeats the purpose ;-)

HooKooDooKu
12-23-2017, 11:54
I haven't looked at Best Buy's offerings lately, but in the past they have had a Digiland pad for about $40. This is what we've bought for my youngest one fearing she wouldn't be able to take proper care of an expensive table. But it has worked out very well. The 1st one lasted about 2 years before something got flakey enough that we simply bought another one... which had more power then the first.

I even bought a 2nd one just to play games with the kids on a bigger screen than my phone (we've enjoyed 'Ticket to Ride')

ldsailor
12-23-2017, 12:39
Ah, it's a Fire Tablet, that's why. For some reason, Amazon felt it was necessary to use a version of Android that doesn't work with the standard Android maps, so if we offered our apps on the Amazon store, you wouldn't be able to use the maps... which kind of defeats the purpose ;-)
Even more important, the Amazon Fire does not have GPS capabilities. No GPS - what good are maps? You definitely can't use an app like Guthook on this tablet. The tablet only supports WiFI.

From the Amazon web site:

Location Services
Location-based services via Wi-Fi

jlp1976
02-02-2018, 22:43
So if they get a new version do you pay for it again?

TX Aggie
02-03-2018, 01:38

I’ve had a couple of sections that I frequent for a couple of years now and never charged an upgrade fee.

steve_zavocki
02-03-2018, 09:50
I just want to chime in that the Guthooks app is worth every penny. It is my go-to source for trip planning, and for when I am on the trail.

I used to buy the ATC paperback guides but no more. The app weighs exactly 0.0 ounces since I have my phone with me anyway.

Deacon
02-03-2018, 12:58

No. Every upgrade is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shelb
02-04-2018, 01:06

Cheers!
Guthook
Thank you for replying! The fact that you are willing to respond on forums enhances your product!!

Singto
02-04-2018, 01:54
I just want to chime in that the Guthooks app is worth every penny. It is my go-to source for trip planning, and for when I am on the trail.

I used to buy the ATC paperback guides but no more. The app weighs exactly 0.0 ounces since I have my phone with me anyway.

The download PDF AT Guide is less than $9 and also weighs 0.0 ounces.

BowGal
02-08-2018, 21:14
I have a couple questions:
If using a newer iPhone, and assuming all other notifications and pushes are off...and using in airplane mode...approximately how long could I expect to hike AT before a phone recharge?

Also, if I buy the $80+ app today, but hike next year, is the app still available to me along with future updates?

Thank you

TX Aggie
02-08-2018, 22:14
If using a newer iPhone, and assuming all other notifications and pushes are off...and using in airplane mode...approximately how long could I expect to hike AT before a phone recharge?

Also, if I buy the $80+ app today, but hike next year, is the app still available to me along with future updates?

Thank you

With Guthooks, you keep the maps you buy.

BowGal
02-09-2018, 06:39
Thank you!

JC13
02-09-2018, 09:42

Thank youDepends on how much you use the phone for other things. I was able to take 10+ pictures a day and ~30 minutes of video a day, run Guthooks and randomly check for service/texts at night on an iPhone 6+ and never ran out of battery in 5 day stretches. We did carry an Anker but my wife used it since she had a tendency to forget to put her phone back into airplane mode.

Additionally, I ran it in low power mode along with airplane.

BowGal
02-09-2018, 12:41
Excellent! Thank you.
I’ve been testing my charger...so far I’ve been able to recharge my iPhone from 50% to 100% six times.
I may take a few pics, likely no videos, and I’m not on any social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.