PDA

View Full Version : For the class of 2006

RLC_FLA
02-08-2006, 12:18
A few thoughts for the class of 2006

Regarding bears, snakes etc. On the trail just as in the real world, “Most of the things you worry about never happen”.

At some point on the trail, you will meet someone you find annoying. At some point on the trail, someone will find you annoying.

When someone asks for you opinion, he/she is usually trying to get you to validate his or her own opinion.

If you don’t carry it up the mountain, you don’t have it Conversely, if someone else doesn’t carry it up the mountain they have no reason to presume that they can use yours.

When you come to a shelter in the spring going NOBO and there are 20 people there, look around and ask yourself, “Who will be the other person besides me that makes it to Katahdin”?

Local advice on distance ain’t worth s*%$, locals think in “car miles”, not walking miles.

If you are on the trail long enough, Trail Magic will happen to you. Give it back when/if you can.

By the time you hit the Smokies you will have stared at the ground three feet in front of toes of your boots for 163 miles.

After you leave Harpers Ferry, you will wonder where all of the other (thru) hikers are.
10. Enjoy yourself and be your own best friend.

RLC_FLA
GAME->89

maxNcathy
02-12-2006, 09:18
A few thoughts for the class of 2006

Regarding bears, snakes etc. On the trail just as in the real world, “Most of the things you worry about never happen”.

At some point on the trail, you will meet someone you find annoying. At some point on the trail, someone will find you annoying.

When someone asks for you opinion, he/she is usually trying to get you to validate his or her own opinion.

If you don’t carry it up the mountain, you don’t have it Conversely, if someone else doesn’t carry it up the mountain they have no reason to presume that they can use yours.

When you come to a shelter in the spring going NOBO and there are 20 people there, look around and ask yourself, “Who will be the other person besides me that makes it to Katahdin”?

Local advice on distance ain’t worth s*%$, locals think in “car miles”, not walking miles.

If you are on the trail long enough, Trail Magic will happen to you. Give it back when/if you can.

By the time you hit the Smokies you will have stared at the ground three feet in front of toes of your boots for 163 miles.

After you leave Harpers Ferry, you will wonder where all of the other (thru) hikers are.
10. Enjoy yourself and be your own best friend.

RLC_FLA
GAME->89

Hi RLC_FLA,

I enjoyed your Thoughts.

Could you give us 10 more?

Max

neo
02-12-2006, 09:19
just hit the trail dont worry be happy:cool: neo

PartnerShip
02-12-2006, 19:38
thanks for the one about the snakes, my only fear. Only a little over a month till we start. Leaving April 1st. I have learned so much reading whiteblaze. Debbie

Smile
02-12-2006, 19:41
Great post, thanks!

Kerosene
02-12-2006, 21:22
I strongly encourage you to train yourself to walk while rarely looking at your feet. It can be done. You will appreciate your surroundings much more. You will catch that deer before it bolts out of sight. You will notice the oncoming hiker before they notice you. It makes the Pennsylvania rocks a little more tolerable.